This Just In: Deer Hunting Gurus Can Fly Fish!

FlyTalk

April 12, 2012

This Just In: Deer Hunting Gurus Can Fly Fish!

By Kirk Deeter

Would you believe that the angler in this photograph is none other than "Whitetail 365" co-star and Field & Stream deputy editor Dave Hurteau? Dave happened to be in my neck of the woods (Colorado) on a family vacation, and he took out a hall pass to go catch some rainbows with me for an afternoon.

Now you might think that we Field & Stream writers travel together often, shooting and casting our way across the country like a modern day "Wild Bunch." But the truth is, many of us rarely see each other (there are some I have yet to meet in person). So it's a special treat when we can get together, do the things we write about, and talk about all the stories behind the stories. I must admit, Dave has some serious game on the river.

I will say that I was going for the 20-incher in the photo, and as I was reaching for my camera (no fewer than three times with fish that would have fit the bill), and the trout got off his hook. I guess when you get in the habit of passing on certain bucks for others, you're not so worried about actually landing all the fish you catch either.

I asked Dave if he could come up with any deep philosophical parallels between whitetail hunting and trout fishing with flies. He could not. At least not as he was casting. He did say something about "having something else to do while he was recharging his batteries and getting ready for the next deer season." Which makes sense to me. I like to hunt elk, ducks, and pheasants when my casting arm gets tired in the fall.

I do, however, think there are common connections in various outdoor sports, and the more you do, the better you get at all of them. For example, I think there's a lot of shared philosophy in shooting shotguns and casting fly rods. Some of the best casters I know are really good wingshooters, and vice versa. I think the more you fish for bass on lakes, the better you find trout in rivers.

Bowhunting and fly fishing might as well be "stick and string" sister sports, especially when we're talking about bowhunting with a recurve or a longbow. I'd say the common thread between bowhunting for deer and fly fishing for trout is the stealth factor. If more fly anglers thought and acted like deer hunters when they are on the water, they'd do a lot better. Apparently, that just comes naturally for Mr. Hurteau.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I bet you boys had a ton of fun on the river. Dave looks as natural on the river as a prostitute does standing on the corner.

Hunting with a longbow and fly fishing are not only sister sports, they compliment each other. If you become better at one sport, you'll be better at the other.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 1 week ago

HMMMMMMM. I haven't connected the dots yet, but give me time. Buckhunter attributes my ability to find wild mushrooms on the way to the river as enhancing my fishing talents. Does make me a lot more focused.

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I'm still chewing on the hooker on the corner remark.. haven't made it mast that one yet.

from kirkdeeter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Gotta imagine the Sam Kinison voice but... "Yeah... I like how you think..."

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Rock, My daughter goes to school in Athens Georgia. From her front porch we often see a local working girl, named Tammy, working the street. When a car would drive-by, Tammy would stop, stick her leg out and flip her hair. Tammy was a very nice person, just in the wrong profession.

In the photo above, Dave has his leg stuck out, much like Tammy would do. Hence the comment. Sadly, Tammy past away last year.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I once took a bow hunter flyfishing. We sat down on the bank, and I told him the phsyical features in the run, and where fish might be located, and how to cover the water, and with what. I waded on down river giving him the run. After several hours, and covering a number of runs, I returned to tell him the success that I had, and compare notes....the guy was frozen.....still sitting on the bank rock.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I like hunting, but I can live without it. I don't think I could live without fishing. Recharging batteries my ass... fishing is much more work.

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Thanks buckhunter; Sometimes it takes the Tammy's of the world to remind us how good we have it. That is really a sad profession, lived in by a lot of people who just got lost in life. There is a charity for young kids (mostly girls) who got lost and may yet be found. Google COVENANT HOUSE and if you can spare a buck, think about sending out along. Thats where my tax refund goes every year. May Tammy RIP.

from markmarko50 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Sayfu, I am guessing the bow hunter was strung out on the magic mushrooms you found on the way to the river. And you gave him some by mistake, poor guy was just trying to assimilate what you meant by "run". I wonder was that on one of our Pennisula rivers? we used to get some great fungi on the Queets and the Hoh watersheds. (I mean the good variety of fungi not the magic ones).

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 1 week ago

markmarko,
I did take the guy into the fold. I don't do that often. When I open up my private stash to someone the guy has to be a special person. I think you are right, he should have gone easy on the shrooooms the first go round. My favorite river was the Humptulips. Certain sections you had to be crazy even trying to row down it without imbibing before you pushed off. But most of the Hump was just a matter of a little Schnappes in the coffee. I did like the Qweets as well. Hated that dirt road on the way up though. There was some of those expensive, Japanese mushrooms in those Peninsula area woods, but we never got any. Too many scary "Tarheels" out in those woods!

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I'd like to call it cross-training for the great outdoor experience.

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Excuse me Sayfu, but North Carolina is one of my stomping grounds, or should I say casting waters? So watch that tongue! Buck, I was in fits on what you said, earlier. Now, I know bow hunters who fly fish. You know what I think? They all are nuts, but in the best way possible. Also, Sayfu, I'll stick to my moist snuff and whiskey! You can keep your shrooms.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 6 days ago

Bassman06...Being from N.C. would have done you no good twer you roaming around in our Olympic Penninsula woods. These tarheals were loggers that no Grizzley wanted to take on. I can remember a guy who offended one of them while steelheading rowing down the river while I was fishing on the Penninsula, and when he got back to his rig, all 4 tires were slit, and they'd taken a torch, and cut the tongue off his trailer. That's why many folks don't really think we have any Sasqautches in those woods...good chance they would have run into a tarheal.

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Gotta imagine the Sam Kinison voice but... "Yeah... I like how you think..."

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

And now you know, the rest of the story.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from markmarko50 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 1 week ago

markmarko,

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I'd like to call it cross-training for the great outdoor experience.

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 1 week ago