Tie Talk: Tying the Hopper Juan (Step-by-Step Photos)

FlyTalk

May 29, 2012

Tie Talk: Tying the Hopper Juan (Step-by-Step Photos)

By Tim Romano

This week you can ad another pattern to your fly tying arsenal from flyrecipies.com called the Hopper Juan. The summer's already heating up and the hoppers are already making an appearance in many states. The tier and creator of the bug, Juan Ramirez says this about his grasshopper pattern.

"The Hopper Juan was created in a desire to have a highly visible hopper pattern that covered a few criteria of mine: First, I wanted a pattern that I could call my own. I didn't want to copy something already out there. Second, it had to look nice. I wanted to create a pattern that was simple and attractive, a reflection of my tying style.

Third, it had to float well and be able to hold up a nice chunk of iron and tungsten. Fourth, it had to be high-viz for my clients that have trouble seeing a small duck on the water, and lastly, it had to catch fish and be durable enough to catch a bunch of them.

You can purchase the fly at your favorite fly shop or follow these instructions and tie it yourself.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Excellent pattern, and easy to tie. But the key here is what are the belly colors of the hoppers on the rivers you are fishing? And what size are those hoppers?

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Never really fished hoppers. I should probably try it this summer.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

badsmerf...OUCH! You've missed out on some of the greatest thrills in all of fly fishing! The "big swirl" surface take of a trout to a big dryfly! I'm never convinced that the trout took it for a hopper. You get into a time of year when most of the bugs have emerged, water has warmed, and only a big meaty dry will often bring them up. Opportunity fish generally lay along a bank not tunnel visioned on anything in particular...although, if many anglers have pitched a big hopper along a bank, they can be leary to come up, and a small beatle, or an ant can work better. And that is what I was referring to as to why I can have more fun now catching a 15" trout on a dry fly than standing in line dredging the bottom for a much bigger salmon, and why I like Silvers in AK...big, swirl surface takes on a dry line!

from Hornd wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago

This video is Juan tying it, much better than chronological steps:

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

Never really fished hoppers. I should probably try it this summer.

from Hornd wrote 1 year 43 weeks ago