Slide Show: One of My Best Trout Fishing Days

FlyTalk

June 29, 2012

Slide Show: One of My Best Trout Fishing Days

By Tim Romano

OK, I have to gloat, just a little…

I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday on Spinney Mountain Reservoir with my friend John Perizzolo. John guides for Breckenridge Outfitters and is the inventor of a tungsten putty product called Mojo Mud.

While I'm not much of a big lake angler — as it intimidates me to some extent — I do believe the action yesterday might have changed my mind.

It was a fish-catching bonanza! One of the best trout fishing days I've had in a while. I'm not exaggerating when I say this: For a couple hours, almost every cast connected with an 18- to 20-inch rainbow that jumped multiple times and took me into my backing. We also lost a couple of fish that had to be pushing 24 to 25 inches...

Typically, I really like to tell the whole story, and get the flavor of the situation, location, etc. Yesterday was different. It was all about the fish, and LOTS of them. Heck, I barely shot that many photos, and half the ones I took were blurred from my excitement on the way to put down the camera and pick up the rod again.

What about you? Have you ever had a day like this while fishing on a big lake for big trout? It's got me thinking about fish finders, trolling motors and waypoints for sure.

Enjoy the images.

from Stonefly wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

So at least give us a few details, what flies did you take them on, etc

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I like the underwater photography. It gives a whole new perspective.

Have done little lake fishing for trout. Mostly just wandering the mountains going from small lake to small lake. Nothing on the scale the photos show.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Buck, that lake resides just above the Dream Stream....it's very possible for your trip out to get on some of that fishing.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

You don't need any of the high tech junk, just get a float tube and flippers and get after them. I love fishing rivers and streams but I cut my teeth in a float tube. Big fish that can run any direction they want, up down, sideways and even jump into my lap.

from theflytroll wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Gorgeous Rainbows!

from Stonefly wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

So at least give us a few details, what flies did you take them on, etc

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I like the underwater photography. It gives a whole new perspective.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago