Video: Massive Mako Shark On the Fly

FlyTalk

July 24, 2012

Video: Massive Mako Shark On the Fly

by Tim Romano

Warning: Video contains graphic language.

Our friend Conway Bowman and his right hand man Captain Dave Trimble put on the Flying Mako catch and release fly fishing tournament every year in San Diego. The purpose of the tournament "is to promote sustainability, conservation and sound management of mako sharks and other apex predators.

The proceeds from the tourney are donated to the Pfleger Institute of Environmental Research. This year entrant Mark Martin used his boat to guide friend and fellow angler Alex Beck to what looks to be a mako shark estimated to be between 500 and 800 pounds.

The anglers ultimately did not land the fish, and people I've talked to have varying estimates of its size. Landed or not, this is one of the most amazing videos of a fish fight I've seen in a while. I mean, can you imagine hooking this thing on conventional tackle, let alone a fly rod?

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

That guys excitement sums it up. It would be awesome to feel that thing on a fly rod!

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Do you know the rod length/rod wt. setup? I'd guess they were trolling it appeared by the beginning footage, and the other guy didn't have a casting outfit, or that might have been a teaser outfit to bring the shark towards the fly.

from timromano wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Sayfu,

I'm not sure of that specific rod and reel but believe they use up to 16 weight rods. They do use a bait or spin caster to tease them in then simply splat the fig fly down in front of them. I know they don't troll for them.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

fun stuff. I had a friend that went flew to Costa Rica, and they had those two long teaser outriggers on a cable system. They would tease the marlin in near the boat pulling the bait fish just in front of the marlin. My buddy had a huge fly rod, and big reel with a lot of the line, backing pulled off, and placed in a bucket of water so the line wouldn't fry his hand as the line went peeling out. When they pulled the bait fish away they yelled "Now" and he'd sling this big bait fish streamer, and the hookup got him so excited about the whole thing he flew back again in one Summer. IN no time flat that marlin looked like that shark did in the U-tube...way da hell out there. Those mako jumps almost defy the physical ability of anything to do that.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

THAT, Tim, was one of the most amazing fishing videos I have ever seen! That thing was MOVING so fast under water. I like the part where the guy yelled, "DON'T LET THAT THING ON THE BOAT!" and he was DEAD serious. Can you imagine the destruction if that thing hit the deck?! Fubby how the shark jumped 7 times and they were all identicle to each other-same height, same rotation, etc. I give him a 10!

from Gary Devine wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

Makos are very fast sharks. What amazed me was the speed of that giant mako and being able to jump that high. That boy really got up.

from chaplainthom wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I have caught Makos from the beaches in the Bahamas, mostly after dark, never saw one jump like that one. Its a winner.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago