The Best Fly Fishing Movie Ever

FlyTalk

August 03, 2012

The Best Fly Fishing Movie Ever

By Tim Romano

Surely I must be talking about "A River Runs Through It," right? Wrong.

While I have a huge place in my heart for "the" movie -- it's one of my favorites -- the new documentary Low and Clear is without a doubt one of the best movies I have seen in regards to fly fishing, period. It ranks right up there with the best documentaries and is simply one of the most elegant movies on fishing.

Filmmakers Tyler Hughen, Kahlil Hudson, and Alex Jabonski have finally released the full length version which is available on Kickstarter.com.

Here's how the filmmakers sum up Low and Clear:
During a winter flyfishing trip to Canada, two old friends, J.T. Van Zandt and Alex "Xenie" Hall, learn they've have grown apart in more ways than one.  J.T., the thoughtful even-keeled son of a songwriting legend believes there's more to fishing than catching fish.  Short-tempered Xenie, a "firewood salesman," sees it differently and fishes like it's a race against the clock.  Their different approaches to fishing and life emerge and clash on the snowy river banks and damp hotel rooms of British Columbia in this true story of a friendship stretched to the breaking point.  An exploration of life in the disappearing wilderness of the West, Low & Clear unfolds with moments of humor and pathos, success and failure, as J.T. and Xenie find themselves on a fishing trip that could be their last.

This movie has won awards and has been in the official selection of a ton of film festivals. Do yourself or your fishing buddy a favor; go to Kickstarter and pick up a copy of the newly released flick.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Here's my critique, and personal biased view...I didn't like River Runs Through it because there wasn't enough fly fishing, and it was done by crude folks, drunks. I view fly anglers as a better grade of folks than those guys. For this movie?...takes money, and like they said, they didn't have much. But fishing for steelhead, and pursuing them on the swing? Yes, I put myself on that pedestal.. the most enjoyable, exciting, freshwater fishery bar none! Steelhead fishing on a dryline fishing a surface, or fly there abouts on the swing! My best video? The steelhead videos, a series of 3 put out by Scientific Anglers (3M co.) well funded, and featuring Lonnie Waller. I still have one of his Wally Wakers he tied for me. Huge British Columbia native steelhead caught waking the fly on the dryline...incredible videos..more about the fish than the folks.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sayfu wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I have to further qualify what I posted. Lannie Waller's video series of films was not a movie. They were videos about steelheading, and very informative regarding steelheading. A movie has to be more than just fishing.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I have considered jumping in on kickstarter to get a first release copy, but man if a year and half waiting for this thing to come out didn't feel like they were postponing the release so they could get just-one-more pat on the back from another film festival. I will get a copy of it, it just might not be a special first run from their kickstarter campaign.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I will also say that most of my thoughts on it are because I've been waiting sooooooo long for the release of what looks like the best fly fishing film EVER! The F3T teaser made this thing a must have in my mind.

from Rhythm Rider wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Got on board with the kickstarter campaign a while back. Koldkut, I was wondering what the heck too the last couple years. Turns out they were broke, and major costs of music (about $11k) and other stuff had to be overcome. It's all explained on kickstarter.

I'm looking forward to seeing it next month because without a doubt it's a gem of a movie in a world of fly gear sponsored "extreme" fishing movies full 'that guy' catching gnarly fish.

Worth the wait.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I guess it is all a matter of one's opinion but I would be hard press to imagine anything beating A River Runs Through It.

To be fair, I'll have to see Low and Clear first.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Here's what appears to me to be some facts...Good movies are well funded. Funding comes first. You have to secure it before you venture forth., or you end up with a second rate movie. Second,..fishing isn't a great spectator sport . Doesn't provide a big market of interest. So now you involve personalities? A ho-hummer for me. I wouldn't pay to see it, and I wouldn't buy a ticket because I feel bad for guy's that tried to produce a movie without the funding.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Looks like a flick I could get into I'll definitely check it out.

from Sage Sam wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Like others, I've been waiting for this movie to finally be distributed. Unlike others, I know how ungodly difficult it is in financing a movie that doesn't appear to have any sort of commercial appeal.

The fact that they've managed to amalgamate fly-fishing, the bond that fly-fishing creates between men and the son of the greatest songwriter who ever lived is pretty special in my book. So yeah, I pledged.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I dont think a River Runs Through IT is a "fly fishing movie". It is quite simply a movie that contains a fair amount of fly fishing. It is one of my favorites for many reasons. It might have something to do with the fact that I love fly fishing and happened to go to college in Missoula, fishing the blackfoot a fair amount. FYI the majority of the river scenes were shot on the Gallatin due to flood stages on the big blackfoot.

As for Low and Clear, it looks like a very cool and well made documentary. Documentaries are one of my favorites especially when the content focuses on my true passion flyfishing. I respect the producers for taking a big chance and putting it on the line to create something which they put everything into. I hope they get the funding they need to get it out there.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Worth the wait.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

To be fair, I'll have to see Low and Clear first.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Looks like a flick I could get into I'll definitely check it out.

from Sage Sam wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago