Fly Fishing with SUPs is Not a Fad

FlyTalk

August 08, 2012

Fly Fishing with SUPs is Not a Fad

By Tim Romano

A SUP, for those yet uninitiated, is a Stand Up Paddle board.

I can see Mr. Joe Cermele rolling his eyes now...

It's been almost a year to the day that I last posted on this subject and started fishing off my very own board. That post had quite a bit of spirited conversation and comments. Granted it did have a healthy dose of ladies in bikinis fishing off said boards...

Since then I've heard that SUP fishing is a fad and a "silly way to fish." Ahem, Mr. Cermele. I'm here to tell you it's not a fad and it's not going away.

The sport is exploding and I'm seeing boards everywhere -- from rivers to lakes, and of course, out in the ocean. I just returned from the ICAST sportfishing trade show a couple of weeks ago, where a number of companies were showing off their latest fishing SUPs; more than in any previous years. And why not? They are fairly inexpensive (compared to other water craft), give you the advantage of height (unlike a float tube or belly boat), have supreme stealth, are insanely easy to use, draft almost no water, can be used almost anywhere, and are just a ton of fun to be on.

One of the more notable manufacturers in the SUP fishing realm right now is Freedom Hawk Kayaks. I had a chance to check out their new Predator board at the show and I must say it's one the most thought out boards in regards to fishing that I've seen.

"“Because of the SUP Craze, dealers have been pushing us to design a SUP which would be stable enough to fish from yet also cruise the shallows on fishless days for a combination of exercise and fun. They also wanted it to be lightweight, less than 30 pounds,” said David Hadden, president of Freedom Hawk Kayaks. “After 16 months of prototyping and testing SUP designs, we feel we have designed a fishing SUP with the right combination of stability and efficiency… This is not going to be as stable as our patented Freedom Hawk Kayaks, but for customers wanting to experience the fun and exercise capabilities of an SUP, and fish, we believe we have designed and engineered the perfect blend.”

Hadden went on to add that while there are SUPs being marketed to the fisherman, this board is the first one designed from “the skeg up specifically for kayak fishing.” The one I saw had a yeti cooler attached as a seat complete with rod racks and a paddle that doubled as a push pole.

Have any of you tried SUP fishing yet? If so, do you like it? If no, why not? Oh, and if you're in the market for a board, do yourself a favor and do check out Freedom Hawk Kayak's new board. It's a work of art with every feature thought out specifically for anglers.

from vtbluegrass wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I think exploding in popularity is a bit of an over statement. Fishing along the coast here in NC there are dang few fishing kayakers and I have never seen anyone fishing off a board. They might be out there but they are incredibly few and far between.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Anthony Salgado wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

That is simply awesome!! And super affordable, Im definitely going to have to invest in one.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Saw a number of SUP's on La Jolla Beach a couple years ago. A fellow asked if I wanted to try it but I declined. Wish now I would have said yes.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

"silly way to fish?" That's not what I said at all, Tim. I'd never use the word "silly." What I said was more offensive : )

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I would probably dig one for fly fishing more than a pontoon or float tube since fly casting tends to be a full body activity rather than an upper body activity, at least for the bigger bugs. I have never seen one in CO yet, they must still be a rare item.

from Bryan01 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I have an SUP and its great fun. I also have a kayak and occasionally fish out of it but I have no desire to use my SUP for fishing - the ability to stand when using the SUP would be nice but I want a more stable platform when I'm fishing.

from rdorman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

i do a lot of kayak fishing and have been looking to get a SUP so i can see better while fishing...think i might rent one first...Joe you are welcome to come down and we can share a first...

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

So uh... Who scares him into falling into man eating fish waters? On a serious note, I'd rather be in a flimsy canvas canoe in alligator infested waters which reeks of fish guts. This seems too dangerous to do alone.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from mocull wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

What's an average price on one?

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I can see the immediate appeal. It's new, flashy, and must feel more open and "on the water". But it's a whole lot of money for not being able to carry much gear. For now I think I'm sticking with my all-round versital canoe. Nice video though.

from Sage Sam wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

SUP's are blowing up in Colorado and Wyoming for recreational purposes. I've seen them on the CO, Green Roaring Fork, Yampa, Snake, etc. Spend enough time on the water and you'll see one. That said, haven't seen much fishing from them.

SUP's ain't for me. I'm a really, really big guy, so it just isn't quite stable enough for me. If I were a smaller person, I think it would work well. I also would classify them as "fairly inexpensive" when a quality pontoon can be purchased for the same price.

I think SUP's are here to stay and their application for fishing is just scratching the surface. Maybe when someone builds a bigger board I'll hop on the proverbial bandwagon.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

i've never seen one in northern wisconsin. i'd have to say its really not for me

from Cajun 10 String wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I use an OldeTowne Vapor 10 Angling Kayak exclusively down here in Louisiana. Sure beats the traditional pirogue. I have had my share of mishaps; but, none since I designed an outrigger that can be raised/lowered and extended/retrieved. The whole outrigger cost about $30.00 and I find that my design is far better than many offered for over 200.00. Anyway, the kayak is one of the only boats that can reach certain bayou "honey holes" and is so light that you can easily lift it over exposed pipe lines to get to where the big ones are. I love fly fishing for bream, perch, and bass; but, the size of the catfish in my neck of the woods forces one back to the standard rod/reel combos. Here in Louisiana, kayaking, as a sport, is growing rapidly and there are actual ocean kayak tours of the coastline being conducted just west of New Orleans. About the indifferent comments buddy, all I can tell you is, "Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff." Love the article, we'll probably never bump boats, but our paths will eventually cross. Respectfully yours, Age'n Cajun

from Bigagoo wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

This is new to me. worth checking out.
John
www.trollingmotorsupply.com

from William Romeis wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

For the guys chasing redfish in the Texas marshes, the SUP is a great alternative. Like most craft, it has limitations but the big advantage is height and weight. There are some kayaks that are gaining in popularity because they are stable enough to stand in, Jackson's Cuda for one. But, at 30 pounds a SUP is really portable and standing up is great as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard and the distance to the marsh not too far....

from Dennis Rahn wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

These are a silly way to just get wet. If you want to stand up in or on a floating thingy, do it in a solo canoe. These are wider and you can store more gear. If you get tired of standing you may sit on the seat or Neel on the floor. Coleman made mine an it weighes 42 lbs.

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I'm so damned tired of these silly ass things, paddle boards and kayaks and such.

Just get a good old fashioned canoe.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from mocull wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

What's an average price on one?

from Dennis Rahn wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Anthony Salgado wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Bryan01 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Cajun 10 String wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Bigagoo wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

This is new to me. worth checking out.
John
www.trollingmotorsupply.com

from William Romeis wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Just get a good old fashioned canoe.

from vtbluegrass wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago