Practice Mending to Catch More Fish

FlyTalk

September 06, 2012

Practice Mending to Catch More Fish

By Kirk Deeter

Most fly anglers devote a lot of time and energy into honing their casts, as they should. The cast is what allows you to play the game in the first place. Without a good fly delivery, your chances of hooking a fish are minimal.

But the effort and focus shouldn't end as soon as that fly hits the water. In fact, I think that's when the real attention to detail should begin. How you drift your fly (presentation) is as important as how you cast your fly, and mending the line (moving the fly line upstream or downstream of your flies, depending on the currents, in order to eliminate drag) is the key to making that happen.

Most anglers I encounter on guide trips have a pretty good understanding of the importance of mending. But 90 percent of us (myself included) sometimes get in the habit of making sloppy mends; chucking the line upstream, whipping the rod, and so forth. A sloppy mend can be as damaging to your drift as no mend at all.

A smart angler will actually practice mending just like they practice casting. So what's a good mend? It is simply moving the entire line from one spot on the water to another, without moving your flies (or strike indicator if you are nymph fishing) at all. You can't do this by flinging the line, or flicking the tip of your rod from waist level. You should realize that fly rods are long for a reason. Use that length to lift and place. Nothing more. Lift the rod, sweep the line, and set it back down. A great mend is all about mechanics, and requires little effort at all.

With time and practice, you'll learn exactly when to mend — when to move the line upstream (when you are casting across heavy current), when to mend downstream (when there is slack water between you and the current), and how to reach cast, micro-mend, mend on lakes where wind creates surface currents and all that. The basic mend is a fundamental building block for great angling. Perfecting that move will increase your hookup percentages dramatically.

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I started teaching my fiance how to flyfish this summer and included tips on mending. She's taking to the whole thing very well, but watching her learn from scratch the practice of mending reminded me of how disruptive it can be to the float & water surface.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Looks like that guy in the picture is angling on a lake..not much need for mending, and why a lot of anglers take to a lake. Cast out the fly, and manage slack on the surface if you are fishing on the surface, but most of the time it is stripping, and imparting motion to a leach pattern type, a damsel, dragon, or small nymph. Simplifies things for anglers. Streams are where the mending needs understood.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Have cast my fly rod in the backyard a hundred times, have never practice mending. Ummm, such a good tip I feel a little dumb not thinking of it before.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

So true. The mend is very important and I need to practice it more to become a better angler. In addition the reach cast (air mend) is equally important! Nice Post

from fflutterffly wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

It's really a good idea to practice your mends both on your casting side and off shoulder, which many forget is needed. My usual dry land practice consist of the: curve cast, parachute cast and "S" or Snake mend... all practiced on both sides.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Have any of you heard of and use the check mend? Its a two mends for multiple currents of water. Ive only been able to get it to work on short casts.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Gt, Have heard of a check cast, which is my own creation. You cast side arm 4-5 feet above the water then stop the cast suddenly in mid-air. The leader swings around and lands in an L-shape on the water. Great for casting behind things and to rising trout straight upstream.

Have never used this cast to mend but you have got me thinking. If I cast straight across, land the fly down stream then lower my rod towards down stream, creating a U-shape, it might be good for quick run with a back eddy.

I'm gonna have to try it this weekend.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Your own creation Buck? lol! Watched the Orvis casting school instructor demonstrate it last nite on the Orvis fly fishing cable show. Underpower the cast, and your fly end portion and leader lays the other way. But nice try at stardum anyway. I can appreciate that quality in an angler.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

My journal states I caught a 15in brown trout on this cast on February 18, 1994. A totally unremarkable day except for the fact I slept in my truck on the river bank that night and froze my arse off.

I am sure this cast has been discovered 1000's of times over the decades of fly anglers but I did name it the Check Cast in 1994 and even wrote an article about it.

Actually won a casting competition with this cast some years ago.

This is already too much information, think what you wish Sayfu.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from split484 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

buckhunter, that's a stretch. no one else ever gave that cast a name? come on. I've been only flyfishing now for two years, without but a few you tube videos, and have developed what I would describe as a similar cast & presentation based on a bad cast that had a happy ending. It's my understanding that fly fishing has been going on for quite a longer time than decades. think centuries. you surely did not invent anything. clever name though. almost thought it only applied to "chech" nymphing. kudos for that. and Congrats! on your casting competitions. You'd probably school me, but you "didn't build that" cast.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Buckhuner...Think what I wish? lol! So you changed a name of a positive curve cast, and now you invented it? ...tooo funny. But keep those articles coming.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, I don't understand what is so unbelievable. I named a few of my cast and at least a dozen fly patterns. Named all of my children to.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Nice try Buck...you PLAGERIZED! Making an attempt to say that "I invented the cast" was embarrassing to say the least. 30 years ago I was teaching that cast in my flyfishing schools. Maybe you are identifying a personal trait that creates fly fisher persons. lol! If so, I reject entre' into that fraternity. I'm happy to give credit where credit is due. But nice to see you beat out Koldkut in that head to head fly casting competition. :)

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from clinchknot wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu: Our flyfishing industry needs a new guru. Whitlock and Lefty are getting old. buckhunter may just be the guy. Do you know how many people have become rich, and famous by stealing someones idea to get started? Maybe instead of a Royal Wulff we need to make it a Royal buckhunter. :)

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, He He He. You really get upset when someone does something better than you. You learned from a book, I learned from a river. Get over it.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

HAHAHA I got upset? Not the least. I thought it was pretty funny you trying to convince someone you invented the curve cast. And books I have read, but when you have guided for many years, and fished folks over 100 days a year each of those years, and taught fly schools for 30 plus years, you know when a statement like you made doesn't pass the smell test. Keep that good humor comin, I enjoy it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from clinchknot wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

buckhunter Give it up. The more you post the worse it gets for you. Pull your pants up, you've been exposed. Slit484 saw the same foolishness of your contention as I did let alone Sayfu.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, Really?? Pulling out your second login name... Geesh. This really does bother you.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

My second logo name? You've completely lost it. I suppose split 484 was my 3rd logo name? But I name everything you know. lol !

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Say, I'll give you a homework assignment for the weekend. Give the key points of the check cast. Please keep it brief. It's really simple.

For bonus points, describe the mini roll cast. Clinch, feel free to join in. I hate to leave anyone out.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Buck. It's quite apparent you are not qualified to give exams in fly fishing. Get by basic casting 101, and then maybe we can talk. And your positive curve cast that you attempted to plagarize before being caught is not a cast that is used very often at all. It is very hard to be accurate. The cast often bounces back short of the target. More for show which is something you seem to enjoy. Being in the right position beats your showboat cast bad. How about addressing split484. He's the one that appeared offended suggesting you could doop him. I thought it was funny. And it was demonstrated within 24 hrs. of your post by the Orvis fly casting instructor on ORVIS Flyfishing...a bearded fellow named Kutcher?..last name something like that. I watch the show all the time. Tom Rosenbauer the host, and he would have laughed as hard as I did at your contention.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

The check cast has few basic elements. It is designed to us side way momentum to swing your fly around objects.

1) Shorten your leader. You want the bend to be in your fly line, not your leader or at the junction.

2) Cast side armed with an open loop. Not a tight loop.

3) Stop or "check" your cast near the end, allowing the fly to swing around and land at a 90 degree angle to the fly line. (this is what takes the most practice) Casting 4-5 feet above the water makes this a lot easier. Also knowing when to check up on your cast is also key.

4) Do not raise your rod on the hook set. You want to use the pressure of the fly line on the water to set the hook. This is why you shorten your leader and have the bend in your fly line, not the leader. Use a strip set or pull on your rod keeping the rod tip low.

These are the basics of the check cast. Has worked well for me over the years. The reason you could not describe it is because you did not know what it was.

The interesting thing about this cast is that it was developed at a time with everyone was teaching keeping your fly line and leader straight for a good hookset and Lefty was telling everyone to ditch their long rods. This cast is made much easier with a longer rod, setting the hook my using the water pressure on the fly line was unheard of. Which by the way, I call the Hydro-set.

There you have it, Sayfu. My check cast. Developed on a very cold winters day in February, 1994. (I keep good notes) Had it been done before? I am sure it has but on that day it was new to me so I named it.

And this concludes your Sunday morning schooling, Sayfu. Next week (if you are a good boy) I'll teach you how to tie the "Mohican Chief". It is a dry fly which is BETTER than the adams, coachman, simulator or many of the other dries you buy in the store today. Yes, I named it and developed it so stop your whining.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Give it up Buck. What if you can not cast sidearm from where you are positioned? What if your fishing partner is positioned off your casting shoulder, and you can not cast sidearm?...can you came the curve cast? Could you do it casting overhead? If so, how?
And a trivia question for you knowledgeable casters. There is a cast called an oval cast. Someone plagerized that cast as if they invented it, and called it the oval cast. Who was that famous angler, and what is the real name of the cast?

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I said can you came...It is can you Make the curve cast casting overhead, and how?

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, Any experienced caster knows if your partner gets in the way of your cast, you whack him up side of his head with your fly rod. Last time he'll do it. If you need any more help, just ask.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

So you don't know how to do it a more efficient way by casting overhead. And you don't know who was the famous angler that tried to take credit for another anglers cast by pulling a bcukhunter, and naming it "his" oval cast. You failed again buckhunter. You sound a lot like Obama when he gets caught in one of his many falsehoods.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Oh, how well I know about what you say buck. I've been a guide many a day when a buckhunter is standing in front of my boat making one of "YOUR" sidearm curve casts. I've actually wore a few of them.

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

www.vogo-tec.com

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

www.vogue-tec.com I've been only flyfishing now for two years, without but a few you tube videos, and have developed what I would describe as a similar cast & presentation based on a bad cast that had a happy ending

from scooterg10 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Not trying to jump into the middle of a fight, but what you are describing Buckhunter is a positive curve cast, as Sayfu mentioned. I'm a casting instructor and the typical nomenclature describes a check cast as the overhead version of what you mention. It is used to get a fly down fast. You very well could have discovered the positive curve on your own, but it is pretty well known and called by a different name in casting circles.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

It's just like my flies, I tie off the cuff and someone else already has a name for my own creations....It's like Alexander Graham Bell Vs. Elisha Gray.....Only one got credit for it, but it's history and who cares.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Koldkut. Who cares? What if I told you the truth of the matter is that I discovred the Internet? Would that make Al Gore mad, or what? lol! And the person that cared the most was buckhunter. He chimed right in, and told the guy he invented the positive curve cast. Even the way buckhunter described it was pretty shaky...open up the loop to make the cast? No need to open up the loop. Much more efficient to throw a tight loop, and have the end of the line/leader/fly come around.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Scoot, Sorry you got dragged into this mess. I would hate to have read all of this garbage but please note, 4 days ago, I mentioned this cast had been discovered 1000's of times BEFORE me. It was just my time. I'm willing to bet it was done 1000's of time before it was named the positive curve cast.

Just fun'n with Sayfu. He takes things so serious.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Buckhunter, the proper term is trolling, and I got a bite too, it's almost a sure thing :)

from scooterg10 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Buckhunter- I agree.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

buckhunter...just here to keep you honest. And you mentioned it was discovered before you? NO, you fabricated that. And the prof of that was Split's reaction to you telling him YOU invented the cast. It was discovered ONCE...by the guy who developed it. The rest of you wannabee's concocted your discovery. Flyfishing has a lot of proud heritage. And it is preserved by those that want to keep it that way, and give credit where credit is due. You still can't provide answers for my two trivia questions. But then again, you did tell us you don't read.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, I couldn't disagree more about giving credit. I cast my rod, but I sure don't have to give credit to anyone for a botched corner swervy pendulum haul cast based upon things I was not taught about, rather things I discovered and learned on my own.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Koldkut, I have always wondered who invented the corner swervy pendulum haul cast. Thank you. Have caught a few off that cast.

Speaking of cast. I once cast over a tree limb which hung over the center of a large fishing hole and with my line hanging straight down I dabbled a caddis over the water. You just can't make this stuff up or find it in a book. I suppose Sayfu taught that also.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

What is lost in the entire discussion is the terrible way, the inefficient way you make that positive curve cast. No knowledgble caster would make it using an OPEN loop. Far more appropriate to make it with a tight loop. In that regard, the cast is yours buckhunter. I know no one would have developed that one. It is all urine.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, You have forgotten my friend, I am a small stream lover. It is an entirely different world where the trees and the water meet. Most dare not venture into such technical territory but I excel in it. I spend all day fighting the limbs, small pockets and skinny water only to be rewarded with a 6 inch fish. It's a place where fisherman cuss, trout laugh and fly rods sing. Your fly line must float softly in the air and flutter, like a whisper to the water. Also a fine place to mix alcohol and fishing. Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

If you are armed with nothing but tight loops, you will fail miserably.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Read my last post in the voice of Morgan Freeman to make it sound real cool.

buck,
Technical? That was a joke right? You are a dedicated Tankera angler! lol! All the technical has been removed. Small stream anglers are daplers. Stand high above the water you've crawled into...put on one of my softhackles, and dap it downstream stripping line out as it sinks, and let'er emerge up to the surface, Just make sure you have a net with holes in the bottom that the fish you catch doesn't slip through.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Funny you should mention my beloved Tenkara... My youngest asked for a Tenkara Rod for his 18th birthday then told me he was joining the U.S. Marine Corp in the same breath. So if you see a short-haired grunt built like a linebacker flailing away with a Tenkara Rod, I suggest you pass silently and not look him in the eye. He will dapple downstream if he wishes.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sounds like that is all we had guarding our US embassy in Lybia...a couple of guys standing out front with Tankara rods. As I just heard our military personnel could have no guns as they might offend the Muslim radicals. I have no problem with folks dappling. Matter of fact they can all get off my big water, and go dapple. You act like I don't like other anglers. I have no problem with any of them as I've said many times. They can make big open loop positive curve casts for all I care.

from Bassinbick wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Ive never done that before :O

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Sayfu, Just be nice to everyone who visits this blog as if they were fishing next to you on the river and I promise not to tell anyone you've never heard of the world famous check cast.

Oh, by the way, the proud heritage of fly fishing does not need protected, it needs thrown out the window.

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Buck..This whole discussion seems to have gotten to you. For the most part I was just jerkin your chain. Tenkara fishing can be fun. Just not my deal. I watched Craig Mathews, (you said you didn't read much) but he is a famous angler that owns a flyshop in West Yellowstone...designed the X Caddis, but, he did copy, IMO the comparadun. Changed the tail, and called it his sparkle dun. He fished a tenkara rod on a spring creek running through the Madison Valley. He'd find a point on the bank, and fish the seam that went off the point with a Tenkara rod. Just not my deal. I want to motivate folks to accept the challenge of fly fishing as being well worth it. Take on the frustrations because it can be a life long pleasure. I'm taking an 89 yr old that just spent 3 days in the hospital on a jetboat run today, and getting out on the bars, and flyfishing. The old guy is good at it. He just can't see very well. I have to tie him on a big hi-vis when we float the banks. When we get out, he swings softhackles. Water is dropping, the bars are showing well..fun time of year. I forget how well we have it out here. You guys scare the bejesus out of me thinking I was living back EAST again!

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Oh, I forgot to mention the Check cast. I use that one a lot. You just stop your forward stroke, and no follow through, and dump the cast...dump the line and leader putting slack behind the fly. You can check any of the casts you make.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I'm gonna have to try it this weekend.

from split484 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

2) Cast side armed with an open loop. Not a tight loop.

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

www.vogo-tec.com

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from scooterg10 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Just fun'n with Sayfu. He takes things so serious.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from scooterg10 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Buckhunter- I agree.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

If you are armed with nothing but tight loops, you will fail miserably.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Read my last post in the voice of Morgan Freeman to make it sound real cool.

buck,

from Bassinbick wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Ive never done that before :O

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Actually won a casting competition with this cast some years ago.

This is already too much information, think what you wish Sayfu.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report