Best Pranks to Pull Off While Fishing

FlyTalk

October 26, 2012

Best Pranks to Pull Off While Fishing

By Kirk Deeter

I'll admit to being a prankster. I can't help myself. My best April Fools' trick ever was calling my brother's college house and asking one of his roommates if my mother had arrived for her visit yet. Of course, nobody expected her—least of all my brother, who was in class at the time. So his buddies ran to get him, and they spent several hours cleaning their house before I rang back and admitted she wasn't really coming.

River pranks are great fun, especially when the fishing is slow. And they're pretty fun when the fishing is good too. My favorite happened in Alaska, when Trent Kososki put on a brown bear costume and hid in the tall grass until our buddy Conway Bowman hooked into a nice steelhead. You know the rest... Trent came bounding out of the bushes, Conway almost literally ran across the river surface, and I'm pretty sure he tested the leak-proof seams of his waders from the inside. You have to make sure your buddies don't have any heart conditions before doing that one.

It's pretty fun to snip the hook off your friend's dry fly during an epic blue-winged-olive hatch. Actually, that's just cruel.

My "pal" Randy (and I use that term loosely) once handed me my sunglasses case, and when I opened it, I found a tarantula inside.

Tim Romano knows I hate snakes, so he rattled in the bushes as I walked down the trail once, and laughed relentlessly as I almost jumped out of my boots. He's also pretty good at plowing his raft straight into standing waves in the river, dousing the angler in the front. Cool in July. Not so much in March or October.

Romano and I wanted to do a "robo-fish" prank. You know, like how the game wardens use deer decoys to bust poachers at night. We'd like to get a lifelike rainbow trout dummy with an undulating tail, but it has to be about three feet long. Then we'll tie it to the bottom of the river, and videotape people casting at it. I wonder how many people would try to snag it.

Consider this fair warning. If you happen to find an abnormally huge rainbow trout swimming somewhere like Colorado's Cheesman Canyon, go ahead and make a cast or two if you're silly enough to believe what you see. But don't try any dirty tricks, or you'll end up punked on Fly Talk.

So let's hear from you. Any great river pranks we need to put in our arsenals, or be on guard against?

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I can see the headlines on the newspapers right now,"A man was shot to death after he dressed up as a bear and charged out of the bushes at unaware anglers..."

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

You ought to put some mouse traps on the bottom of that dummy to get the trout ticklers.

from Improved-clinchknot wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I take pride in following the less educated anglers up the Snake river. It may not be a prank, but it sure feels like it while I smile while they watch me catch the fish they missed as I move up river fishing their leftovers. These guys would do themselves some good by reading this blog, it's chock full of great information that would help them catch more fish.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Kirk,

You and I have some things in common. I also really enjoy a good prank and price myself in my creativity. And I report with sadness that I am lacking in the river prank department. Although I did scare my friend pretty good on a float trip on the yellowstone. three of us were floating in my raft below Pelican landing and my friend Bob happens to be terrified of white water. My other friend Tbone and I had been talking all day about Yankee Jim canyon and the white water through that section. It was obviously getting to Bob. I was on the oars and I asked Tbone, who was in the bow for the life jackets. He immediately knew what I was doing a chuckled to himself. So i took my jacket, Tbone put his on and I handed one to Bob. Bob's reaction was "what the **** are you handing that to me for?" . Tbone and I convinced him that we needed to go through yankee jim canyone, which we were obviously below, in oreder to get to our take out and there was no way around it. Bob was so scared that he was jumping out of the raft to swim/ wade to shore when I finally told him that it was a joke.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

what I lack in river prank i make up for in land pranks. I always like to dress up as bigfoot when i find out where my friends trail cams are. that classic.

I worked for an oil and gas company and one of the roustabouts was absolutely terrified of snakes. at the end of each month they read meters on the gas wells and the meters are inside metal housing units. I once bought a rubber snake tied a string to its head and taped it to the inside of door of the meter house so when the guy opened the door it jumped out at him. I didn't get to see the reaction but he was interigating everyone at the end of the day and juding by his reaction, he was really mad.

from fflutterffly wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Nothing to do with fishing: I was playing in a golf charity in Palm Springs on Summer, 118˚ (that in itself is a prank by the organizers). Our foursome come up to putt out the green. My best friend was in the four ahead. I had handed her a plastic snake, with instructions to place it in the cup. You can imagine the rest and the rest of the course could hear the screams to the club house.

from arlo wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

as another victim of Romano's rattlesnake impression (while scrambling across heavy talus while fishing gore canyon), I can back Deeter on its realism, as I similarly jumped out of my boots. I also spun around and landed a solid punch on Tim's arm (not his casting arm), which he didn't take too well...so pranksters beware of the potentially immature reactions of your victim.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

My best prank ever. I stuffed the testicles of a recently gutted deer into the pocket of my buddies hunting coat. His wife found them a couple weeks later after wondering what that smell was. The testicles were traced back to me.

from shutupnfish wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Doesn't fall under the category of "prank," but it sure was funny as hell:

I took a couple of buddies, and their wives, on an offshore fishing trip a few years ago. We were supposed to fish on Saturday morning, pending weather. I had a pretty good feeling Friday evening, our plans for Saturday were doomed. Saturday in the A.M. arrives and I explain that not only do we have very strong winds, we have very strong East winds. My vote is to stay on hard ground. My buddies though, talk me in to going, since they've never been. I agree, so we all get ready to head out. An hour or so later, we're ready to head to the ramp. So I thought. We're short one occupant. As if I didn't know any better, I hollered, "Where's Maybaline?" (buddies wife) "Puttin' her makeup on!" Well me being me, I had to start with the questions. "What do you need makeup to go fishin' for?" "What difference does it make on what color...."
After dang near two hours, we're leaving the ramp, heading to the jetties. It was pretty quiet the ten or so minutes it took to idle there. As soon as we rounded the corner and I saw the swells I knew we was gonna be in for a doozy.
I swear to ya, I couldn't have planned it any better if my life depended on it. My timing was perfect. As soon as I showered down on the twin outboards, the nose of the boat started up the first swell, then, that miniscule moment of weightlessness before the hull does a big ol' belly flop! I thought for a minute I was back at Sea World and we was watchin' Shamu!
Water sprayed out in front of us, in to that East breeze, then every drop comes back over the gunwales! Not a dry spot on anyone or anything, including myself who was hugged up to the console, right behind the windshield. And of course there's ol' Maybeline. Standing there with her visor around her neck with her mouth wide open, as her hair spray and all that make up washes down to the back of the boat, looking at me like I did that on purpose! I can actually say I've never laughed harder in my life. At first, I'm the only one laughing. As the others get the salt water out of their eyes and see all that effort washing out the back, they join in. We still get a kick out of it today when the subject comes up. Maybeline still thinks I did that on purpose too. I just smile.

I know it's probably not as funny for me to tell it, but if you knew me, her, or was lucky enough to witness it, it was quite humorous.

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

On campouts, the first one to sleep in the tent always gets the tent collapsed on them. Somehow someone ALWAYS forgets that that happens! It's funny every time...definitely worth resetting the tent.

from JeremyV wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

We used to fish off a peir at night. When someone started to doze off we would reach over and tap their pole like a fish was biting. Always fun to what them jerk up and start realing like mad.

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

+1 to JeremyV. Good for you for not pushing a sleepy fisherman into the water. Haha!

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

I was fishing with a buddy of mine who believes him self to be a very good fisherman. So my other friend and I
were about 100 feet up river in a little cove, I pretended that I caught a huge fish that got off the line.(This guy was catching fish down River but was keeping the spot for himself)So when he came running up to try catching the fish, Me and my friend went down to his spot laughing to our selves, we still laugh about it to this day.

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago