Switch Rod Week: 5 Chances to Win Cabela's Fishing Rods

FlyTalk

November 08, 2012

Switch Rod Week: 5 Chances to Win Cabela's Fishing Rods

By Kirk Deeter

Apparently, my post on switch rods the other day got some folks interested in learning more. One of the most common concerns/questions I get is, "aren't those extra long fly rods also extra expensive?" Not necessarily.

Cabela's for example, makes two great switch models in its TLr lineup: an 11-foot 6-weight and an 11-foot 8-weight. They have a great, forgiving action to accommodate the beginner and intermediate caster—and experts, too. They cost $150, and comes with a sock and a case.

And here's the best part of all: Five of you will be getting one for free, thanks to the good folks at Cabela's.

I'm officially declaring next week "Fly Talk Switch Rod Week." You will have a chance to win a Cabela's TLr switch rod model from Monday to Friday. There might be a caption contest or a "See This, Do That" quiz or maybe we'll just ask for your best bleeding heart appeals to join the switch world at no cost. Whatever we decide, we're going to kick things off on Nov. 12. Each contest will run a week, and we'll announce the winner the following week after the contest ends.

So be sure to "switch" onto Fly Talk!

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Suhweeeet! You guys are the bomb! Cabela's rocks my socks!

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I'm psyched! I did find the article quite interesting, and have been perusing through various sites trying to learn what and how to even use a switch rod. Not sure if these are the best style for an OH smallie addict, but you can never have too many rods right!? I'll be looking forward to the contests.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

We should have Michigan joke week. That'll be hilarious! lol.

Could have used a switch rod today. Have been shooting my bow everyday for months and my shoulder is wearing a little thin. Took the 8wt out today and tired quickly casting conventional style. Or maybe I'm just getting old...

Nature, Where do you smallmouth fish in OH?

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Sounds like there will be some happy folks in the coming weeks. I still throw the long rod during the winter, but it's time to gear up for some ice fishing....ice flies and fly reels going on the ice gear!

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

buckhunter I go to school at OU so most of my fishing is around these parts. Of course the typical pond or lake here and there too, but mostly the Hocking River. Also fish some of the stocked trout streams near Columbus. Hoping to get into my first steelhead and musky in the coming months too. I'm newer to fly fishing, but have developed a genuine addiction nonetheless. As you said though, bow season seems to be dominating as of late and pursuing le feesh is currently on hold.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Nature, My son graduated from OU a couple years ago. We fished a little around Athens but felt more comfortable at home.

Scouted for muskie yesterday. Could not get the big motor started so I drifted around with my trolling motor. Saw none where we had five hook-ups a month or so ago. The leaves are blown out and water crystal clear. Conditions were perfect, maybe not cold enough yet.

My buddies went 0-fer on steelhead yesterday. Water was in perfect condition and expectations were high after the big blowout from Sandy. Only one hook-up. Again, maybe too warm. They are back up again today. I'll have another report tonight.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Suhweeeet! You guys are the bomb! Cabela's rocks my socks!

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

We should have Michigan joke week. That'll be hilarious! lol.

Nature, Where do you smallmouth fish in OH?

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago