What's Your Worst "Uh-Oh" Moment While Out Fishing?

FlyTalk

November 30, 2012

What's Your Worst "Uh-Oh" Moment While Out Fishing?

By Tim Romano

That's my friend Tim Brass, Colorado Coordinator for Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, dragging my raft over some sketchy ice yesterday on the Upper Colorado River. About three-quarters of a mile of it to be precise.

We decided to play a little hooky yesterday and take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather in the high country of Colorado. We went to swing streamers for brown trout and jump-shoot any errant ducks we might see. The day was going splendidly with many nice fish brought to the boat and a few sneaky shots at ducks when we came upon what looked like the Ross Ice Shelf.

Granted, I have never floated this section of river this late in the season and flows were as low as I've ever seen them, but I did my homework. I called my local shop, looked at the temperature and CFS trend the past week, and talked to someone who lives down there. I was confident we'd be fine. While I did have the foresight to bring two ropes for just such an event, my stomach dropped and I verbally uttered, "Uh-oh" under my breath when I saw the ice across the width of the entire river.

It was towards the end of the day; the temperature was dropping and it was getting dark fast. This was not expected and we had a couple miles to go. There was no one around, no cell service, and we did not have the safety equipment necessary to be walking around on varied ice on top of a flowing river. Luckily we tied up the boat, bow and stern with a rigging of ropes that allowed us to slide the boat on the ice while we bumbled along on shore, slipping and falling every hundred feet or so. It was a ton of work and not so much fun. In the end we simply missed dinner and ended up with a few bumps and bruises. Granted it could have been much worse and in the scheme of things, it was on the lower end of some other screw-ups that were much bigger, but this one was pretty nerve wracking.

So I'm curious, what's your worst "Uh-oh" fishing moment?

from Matt101 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

While fishing near my house in Glenwood Springs CO, I was siting on a boulder in the middle of a small 10 ft wide stream around sunset. After looking down for 5 minutes trying to tie a fly on in low light, I look up and on the other side of the creek is a huge brown bear about 10 feet away eating berries. We had a brief moment where we just stared at each other, then he darted off into the forest and I headed back to my house. That was probably my most "Uh-oh" moment.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Was making my way across an almost dry stream bed at the head end of a lake, key word 'almost' and suddenly sunk in up to my thighs in really thick mud. Was alone and stuck and had to crawl slowly and carefully out and lost a shoe in the process. Also had a pretty close encounter with a black bear that was my fault because I snuck up on him unintentionally. Lessons learned.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Tim Brass is half wolverine. You picked yerself a good fishin/hunting partner if you're in a scrape.

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Fishing a creek in NE Oklahoma, I attempted to free my lure from an overhead limb. To get there, I stepped on a learning disabled beaver's structure. I promptly fell through into the stankiest muck I've ever smelled. I drove home naked with my clothes in a bag tied to the antenna. Uh-oh.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

My best uh-oh moment wasn't really mine, but Clinchknot's. I came wading up around the bend and saw him look up and say "Uh-oh" and he promptly left. Not sure why he left, the fishing was red hot at the time. He must not have been catching any fish. :)

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Day 1 of a 2 week remote Canadian wilderness fishing trip. "Dude, Get the bottle of whiskey out, I need a shot." ..."What bottle?"

Truth be known, it was I who said "What bottle?" It was on my list. Have not lived that one down.

from Bernie wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

In August 1993 I was fly-fishing on the North Fork of the Flathead River in northwestern Montana, and I saw a grizzly bear walk out of a tributary creek within Glacier National Park. Some time later the bear emerged from the timber 50 yards from me, cutting me off from the wadible spot where I had earlier crossed the river. The bear walked toward me, so I got into the river, waded as best I could, was swept away by the current, but managed to reach the other shore where my vehicle was parked half a mile away. The bear also swam across the river but did not pursue me.

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

9 years ago I lost my lower left arm, the following March found myself and my best friend in my canoe trying to catch a steelhead in the Pere Marquette. About a hundred yards down river from where we put in I learned my limitations of my prosthetic arm when I couldn't manuver the canoe away from an oncoming tree and we hit in smack dab in the center. The canoe tilted and if it had have gone another half inch we would have capsized. Needless to say, I took my friends recomendation and let him paddle in the back and I mostly rode in the front.

from Browner09 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Went out ice fishing in Southeast Minnesota on an unfamiliar pond with about 6 friends. Walked onto the ice and drilled a hole to get an idea of how thick the ice was and determined we had a good 6 inches. We went out a ways, picked a spot and started drilling. About a half second later my buddy had drilled through and realized we were on just an inch or two of ice..uh oh..everyone spread out and slowly walk back.

from fishman417 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

fishing a small brook that was full of trout and god the hook stuck in a log that when across the brook climbed down to get it and fell of the log.

from Nympho wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

My "uh-oh moment" happened one morning as I was walking around a bend thick with willows in knee deep water (looking at my line in the water of course), I round the bend to a full grown mama moose. I was close enough to gauge her nostrils were as big as my fist. It ended well - I'm sure I said something stronger than "uh-oh".

from azflyman wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I was about 1.5 miles out of camp on a lake and my trolling motor prop came off. Since I only brought 1 oar to push off with, I waited until a guy with a 10hp outboard could tow me back. :(

from chuckles wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Nothing like a good shortcut. Climbing out of the Roaring Fork below Shale Bluffs one winter we got to about 20yds from the top and had to kick steps into a patch of snow. The chute below ended in a 20' cliff with nice soft boulders below. Just for fun there was a 1 1/2" steel cable from an old guardrail across the bottom of the chute about a foot off the ground. Fortunately we were wearing nice grippy felt boots, perfect for crusty snow.
We decided that next time we would just walk the extra hundred yards to the trail out.

from abcdpete wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Fishing the South Platte in Upper Cheeseman from atop one of the huge boulder "grottos" strewn about the bank. Great hole that no doubt held some lunkers. As luck would have it, there was one and when it took my nymph I realized I hadn't planned how I would land a fish from high upon this boulder. There was a small patch of sand below me downriver but it was a good 7-8' down. Wading boots are certainly not climbing shoes but while dropping down to the sandy patch with bent rod in hand, enough slack gave the trophy the edge it needed. Loud burst of choice words echoed throughout that canyon. You live. You learn. Right Tim?

from HuskerHunterFisher wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Not mine, but my dad's: He was backing the boat into a lake here in Nebraska to fish by himself for a few hours. He accidentally forgot to leave the boat chain attached before he backed it in and once the boat hit the water, away it went. He looked back to see his boat floating away and he slammed the truck in park, ran to the end of the dock, leaped in to grab it and swim it back to the dock. Got the boat back fine, but the cell phone and wallet didn't fare so well.

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I was flyfishing for salmon in SE Ak this Aug shortly after sunrise. Glock, my yellow lab and I were alone on the river. The water was a little on the high side and I was in about thigh high. I passed out and came to floating along.uh-oh! I still had the flyrod in my hand. I'm hoping to get my heart re-calibrated by electroshock this Tuesday.

from blevenson wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

When I was fishing with 4 people one day on a lake in Northern MN. The wind kicked up in the middle of the lake and we were caught in the middle of some absolute rollers. We were taking water over front of the boat on just about every wave so we started bailing water like crazy. It was a scary experience but we all made it back to shore alive.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

A Black Bear in my tent....with me.

from hoosierdude wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

A good friend and I were wading a smallmouth stream when we were confronted by three armed and agitated (and perhaps a bit intoxicated) men on four wheelers. They were each packing a sidearm and were pretty damned beligerent. They mistakenly thought we were trespassing, but once we explained ourselves they relented. Certainly an "Uh-oh" moment.

from fflutterffly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

It was a beautiful day in Southern California, perfect for surf fishing. With my trusty 7wt I ventured out to Malibu. Once on the water the Perch wanted nothing more than to jump in my lap and the shovelnose must have invited themselves to the party. After hours of fishing I decided to stop in at the local cafe'. After ordering I leaned back to read the paper. Sudden there at my shoulder the waiter stood. "No Croissants" was all he said. It's true this really happened.

from PAShooter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Some 35+ years ago, a friend and I were canoeing/fishing on the Loyalsock Creek in PA. We came upon a sandy edge with two young ladies sunbathing-nude. They smiled and waved, we were so distracted that we hit a rock and dumped the canoe. Upon going to shore and begining to empty water, an older man appeared with a revolver pointing at us saying,"Stay away from the girls,get the H*** out of here." We promptly obeyed leaving with a water filled canoe.

from fossenrf wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

My brother-in-law and I were Musky fishing on a lake in Northern WI in his new boat. After an afternoon of launching lures with no follows we decided to head back to the landing. The look on his face in that back bay was priceless when the motor didn't start. "UH-OH". With no cell service, no houses on the lake, and no other boats our only option was to swim it back.

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Our boat ran out of gas on Kakagi Lake in Canada. We had to use the trolling motor to get us all the way back.

Second one came when I was fishing and hooked this monster of a man who unbeknownst to me had walked behind me as I was on my back cast. Thankfully he was good about it and didn't pound me into the earth!

from outdoorsman170 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Fishing the flats of tampa bay one time in a canoe, we were fishing bait pods of greenbacks that the sea trout and mackerel were just tearing up, and we say the big storm coming but "just 5 more minutes". The 5 more minutes turned bad, and sure enough, we were in the middle of 3 foot waves in our canoe. We expected to capsize since we had a long ways back and the trolling motor was running out of juice. Water was already coming in the canoe. So our only option was to head into the powerplant that was nearby... Next time we will instead be heading for the mangroves haha.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Was camping out on a barrier island one time. Woke up the next morning, and theres no boat. Uh oh.

from WesternMassHole wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I had hiked a mile or so into a gorge while fishing for brook trout. It had been raining a little that day and when I went to turn around and leave I slipped on the rock I was on. When I slipped I smashed my shin on a sharp rock. I walked another 15 feet thinking it was a bad bruise but when I looked down I could see my shin bone. Walking back a mile was not an option so I scaled up the gorge to the road where I had cell service so my father could bring me to the ER. It required 7 stitches and some embarrassment because I ended up fainting at the ER once the adrenaline wore off.

from filt007 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Realizing that over two weeks ago I posted a caption contest on the F&S blog and never posted the winner. Uh-oh! Wait that wasn't me, it was the guy who started this uh-oh post. oops

from Rhythm Rider wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

2 incidents in 1 trip. Drifting the Gunnison early July 2011 during record runoff got caught in whitewater park feature, boat was nearly perpendicular to water twice then we made it over. We pulled to shore and put on the life jackets while a guy on shore said he had 911 dialed and ready to send call...

Later got diverted in flooded channel near wastewater treatment plant and left 2 rods hanging in bushes somewhere. Said uh-oh a mile down river after I broke flies off another rig and reached for one of the back-up rods. They were back up allright. Back up river.

from Davidd wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Took my three little daughters fishing at a near by pond. While helping the middle child and my back towards the older girl. I was hooked in the back when she was trying to muscle a cast to the center of the pond. She set the hook with excitement knowing she just caught something. Her good old Dad.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Out in Delaware River Water Gap for muskie a few years ago. Push out under trolling motor power. Am pulling card for outboard when my buddy says "Uh.. hey, Joe." "Yeah?" We've got a problem. Turn around and see the full tom and jerry fountain coming up to level of water line with 2" of water already in boat through a popped rivet." Got to bank just before the bouyancy foam would have become a factor.

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

One evening when I was a teenager, I was wading the small river that flowed near my house. I was belly deep, wearing only swim trunks, when a huge beaver came storming down a little tributary and right toward me, hissing and making this weird and horrible grunting noise. He went under about five yards in front of me, and stayed under until I started to turn and get out of the river -- which was when he surfaced between me and the bank. When I moved toward the other side of the stream, he did the same thing over there. For the next half hour or so, the beaver swam back and forth between me and the bank, hissing and snarling and ducking under every time I made a move. Finally when it was just about full dark, I just said to hell with it and half ran, half-swam toward the bank. That was twenty-five years ago and I still have dreams about it.

from Nathan Ryver wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

About 2 miles out in Lake Erie about 15 minutes before dark, my father-in-law who was drving the boat looks over at me and shouts..."Have you ever had your oil pressure go to 0?"

Luckily, a large boat named "the last nickel" was within a 1/2 mile and saw us flagging him down...gave us enough oil to return back to the dock.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Floating a brand new stretch of river in MT my friend and I put in way to late and the stretch was way to far for the time of day. I dont know if you all this but all take out/ put in boat ramps look the same in the dark. Thank goodness I had a head lamp in my vest!

from Mark Polchlopek wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I was fishing Lake Wheeler and during a spring bass tournament, another boater came up to us in the back of this creek and screamed, "Tornado" and blasted off. I didn't hear him well, but my partner repeated Tornado only once. We came around the point, looked up and saw it moving towards us. Of course, we were in the back of a creek for a spring spawn and had nowhere to go. Our only chance was quick thinking. We slammed the boat into gear and up on plane in a couple feet of water and trimmed the motor up while jetting across an ultra shallow point to a another part of the creek where there was a bridge and a place to hide. We barely beat the storm there and it passed close by to scare the dickens out of us. When it passed, we went right back and finished the day with a good sack !

from chadtrr wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

We spent half the day getting ready to go fish the Lower Henry's Fork. It started to blizzard on us, but it didn't phase us. I made couple casts, and then took a swim. I tried to tough it out, but a whisky shot was calling my name.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from chuckles wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from abcdpete wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from HuskerHunterFisher wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from blevenson wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

A Black Bear in my tent....with me.

from hoosierdude wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago