Crowdsourcing: Predicting a Fly Fishing Theme for 2013

FlyTalk

December 12, 2012

Crowdsourcing: Predicting a Fly Fishing Theme for 2013

By Kirk Deeter

Last year, I said that 2012 would be "The Year of the Carp."  That was meant to be more of a personal New Year's resolution than a fishy twist on the Chinese New Year tradition.

Indeed, this was a carp-filled year for me. I visited a number of destination hotspots with the unique bent of chasing trash fish. For example, I went to Idaho's Snake River to fish for carp instead of trout. I went to San Diego to hang out with my buddy Conway Bowman, but we didn't chase mako sharks. We went carp fishing. I went to Michigan and caught carp... but I also caught pike, panfish and trout because you can always fish for just about anything in Michigan.

I think in a broader context, the fly-fishing world did indeed place more collective attention on carp fishing last year than in the recent past. I expect that to continue next year too.

But I wonder if we were to predict a "theme" for fly fishing in 2013, what would it be? I said in last year's post that 2013 would be "The Year of the Bonefish," but truthfully, that's only because I wanted to go to the Bahamas. I think next year is more in line to be The Year of the Brown Trout for me.

I could easily see the fish pictured above (can you guess what it is?) being the theme for 2013. Then again, smart fly anglers have already been all over this species for decades. It may, in fact, be the most worthy all-around target for fly anglers.

I keep hoping that some year soon will be the "Year of the Female Angler" or the "Year of the Child Angler," but I don't know if I've seen enough collective resolve from within the industry yet to make that claim.  There are definitely reasons for optimism though.

How about the Year of Bamboo, or the Year of Tenkara? I bet clinchfu is all about the latter.

Maybe next year will be the Year of the Salmon. It would be nice if the Pebble Mine project finally got iced in favor of Bristol Bay's wild salmon.  And there is reason for optimism in places like California and Maine that native Pacific and Atlantic salmon populations could start rebounding.

The Year of the Streamer? The Year of the Redfish? The Year of the Spey Rod?

I can't make the call myself. You chime in, and we'll decide by committee. Click here to tell us what you think.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I know what kind of fish that is in the picture. Bait.

from Creek Chub wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

smallmouth?

from deanlikes2fish wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I hope that is the year of the Kid Angler, I have 3 kids and keeping them interested can be hard so most advice is welcomed.

from rickyno5 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I think redfish is right on the money...but we'll keep it a secret! haha

from Wags wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I think I will make this the "Year I go fly-fishing again". Last year was not kind in that manner. Maybe it will be the year "Wags is a regular poster to FlyTalk" again. Been lax in that area as well.

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I'm ready for the year of "Bargain Fly-Fishing Gear."

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Big toothy predators, Muskie and Pike!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I will copy Wags comment and say 2013 is the year I fish more. Have cleared my schedule to head out in the morning.

from chidjm wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Year of the Smallmouth. That's my goal this year, and I think that's what your hinting at up there. I also plan on targeting largemouth more with the fly rod and less with conventional gear this year too.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

A theme? Lucky 13 ! Time to get good at flyfishing! 2013 !
" The swings the thing, and the tugs the drug!"..become an addict!

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I have a buddy who has become pike crazy with a fly rod. And big articulated streamers are his thing. looks like fun think I'll be giving it a try this year

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Twer I, I would tie tube flies for pike. You can create a big attractor fly with a smaller stinger hook a the back tied on with wire. The fly then is much lighter, and easier to cast than a big articulator.

from dave00100 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Definitely the year of the musky for me!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Wanted it to be another Year of Alaska Salmon but a grandchild is coming in June and my daughter has only me to help her through this so I guess I'll be fishing closer to home. It will likely be the year of the canoe. I bought my wife a beautiful 16' Souris River kevlar model a few weeks before she was killed two years ago. Finally got the gumption up to take it out last summer. It's a fine thing to fish out of in the many, many waters around here. I have an old 9.5" #9 wt Hurricane Redbone that will be great for pike streamer fishing. I'd like to try that. I know just the lake of multiple channels hooked together that has some nice pike (and a lot of smaller five or six pounders) plus plenty of walleye for lunch when I get hungry (but need to switch outfits for them). Or I may load up baby and mom and head to northern Manitoba for a couple of days of great rainbow and tiger trout fly fishing with some unbelievable walleye fun out of a motor boat in a creek. Hard to catch anything under 24"

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

For me it's the year of the bluegill. We have a lake 3 miles from my house chocked full of 10 inch beauties that take flies more readily than worms. I can taste them as I type this!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Year of the get off the big stretches of water and fish tributaries and high alpine lakes while scouting for elk!!!!! LOve it!!

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

year of the muskie.

for me it will be the year of going steelhead fishing in the upper peninsula.
not flyfishing related but also the year of trying a lot more icefishing for trout. found a number of lakes in wisconsin where trout (mostly browns)seasons are open through the ice

from upacreek333 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Dare I say... the Year of Tenkara?

from stick500 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

am I looking at the pic with this article wrong, 'cause it looks to me that the fish is missing his head?!

does anyone else who doesn't live in CO or WA (legal MaryJane) see that?

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I'm ready for the year of "Bargain Fly-Fishing Gear."

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I know what kind of fish that is in the picture. Bait.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Creek Chub wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

smallmouth?

from deanlikes2fish wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from rickyno5 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I think redfish is right on the money...but we'll keep it a secret! haha

from Wags wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Big toothy predators, Muskie and Pike!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from chidjm wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

A theme? Lucky 13 ! Time to get good at flyfishing! 2013 !
" The swings the thing, and the tugs the drug!"..become an addict!

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from dave00100 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Definitely the year of the musky for me!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

year of the muskie.

for me it will be the year of going steelhead fishing in the upper peninsula.

from upacreek333 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Dare I say... the Year of Tenkara?

from stick500 wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

does anyone else who doesn't live in CO or WA (legal MaryJane) see that?