Fishing Gear Tip: Use PAM to Keep Rod Guides from Icing

FlyTalk

December 05, 2012

Fishing Gear Tip: Use PAM to Keep Rod Guides from Icing

By Kirk Deeter

The one thing I can't stand about winter fly fishing is ice forming in the guides of my rod. But there's a cheap, simple fix for that.

Simply spray some PAM non-stick cooking spray on those guides before you head out to the river. Don't gunk it on, and wipe away the excess. You might give the smaller guides at the end of the rod an extra shot or two right before you string up.

I know other anglers who like to use things like WD-40, but I prefer a slightly less "industrial" solution, and PAM seems to work pretty well. It will last a good couple hours or so, depending on how cold the air is where you're fishing. Besides, if the fishing is really slow, and you use the olive-oil flavor, you can always chew on your line and pretend it's spaghetti.

I haven't dared to try squirting it on my flies to see if the fish like the flavor.

I know some of you (Koldkut) have your own fixes for icy guides, so let's hear them.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Deeter..Looks like you owe me a cut from that big paycheck you get for posting these tips. That was the tip I provided that no one had good enough savvy to comment on. Now there will be all kinds of "thank you deeter's" posted.
I'm sure you remember that. You posted to straighten out your line to prevent icing, and use your knee to do it. Next you'll be recommending the quick way to straighten your line by using the bumper hitch on your vehicle. "Just here to help" Your technical advisor...Clinchfu. :)

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Koldkut wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Thank you Deeter! hehe...I need to start working on my solution for those -10 morning on the stream. I've seen guys use the spray reel lube on spinning gear for the same, and they also spray their line down as well. Not sure how fly line would do spraying the spool down and the guides.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Koldkut. I always did regard you as a tee-he guy. You have to watch what goes on the petroleum based PVC coated flylines..they can be destroyed. And reel lube would come off right away..PAM stays on like it stays on the pan.
And there is a solution that works very well for those -10 degree mornings. I've played HUUUUGE fish under those conditions often....then I wake up in a cold sweat.

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

In a pinch, you can use some lip balm. The vaseline and/or wax does the trick. Be careful not to gunk it up too thick.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

You're solution....was it, 3rd barstool from the end?

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Yep, I paid for that stool many times over! And I was also going to post the lipbalm notion that dleurguin posted. It does work in a pinch. Still nothin beats tellin those fish stories on MY stool. Makes my back hurt just thinkin about having to lift up those hogs.

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

clinch- I've never used Armor All as cooking spray. I don't see how your tip is in any way related to this one. ;)

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This does work though. Any oily product applied sparingly to your rod guides will work.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Jauk,
Armoral? NO, I said the stuff you spray on your cooking pans. I said "Spam" when I meant "Pam" I'm not allowed in the kitchen much so can easily make mistakes like that. Armoral, the Original Armor All, or however you spell it, is a great line cleaner, and a line slick. Use it on a leather seat to clean, and you can slip right off the seat. But not a spray product, or any of the different kinds of Armor-All products. The Original has been recommended for years. But it has nothing to do with ice-ing up prevention. But I now anticipate a new coming out with the "New and Improved version" of the Little Red Book"..many more of my tips, and lots of corrections being made in the new version. :)

from Rhythm Rider wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This is really an opportunity for rod makers to justify a $1200 fly rod, and make one with heated guides.

In the spirit of Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation.....don't go putting any of that on my guides Deet.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Yes! Rhythm is right. I want heated guides and handles for winter fishing. Gosh! We put a man on the moon...

from lighthouse wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This works very well, I had to use in Great Falls.
Learn to Fish and all you'll need to get started

mymvb.com/Fishing

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I'll be darn! I was just going to post on a new rod design that has heated guides!!! A Tenkara Rod! All 29 guides are heated with batteries in the handle!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

We even have sharks with freak'n laser beams.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

And I think a lot of fly anglers forget, or now never read that 70 yrs ago now...7 decades ago, some anglers were paying $1,200 for a well made rod.

from Fly and Fin wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I've used olive oil for years. I keep a small bottle in my kit bag and rub it on the guides before rigging up.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Fly and Fin....I use to date Olive Oil.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Anyone ever tried the silicone spray sold in hardware stores? I'm thinking it might be easier on the fly line. But would it last? I can walk on the water around here already so no chance of trying it out.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Walkin on water is what scares me to death. I've had two dogs break through the ice, and me jumping in after them. I stay clear now. Silicone? I dunno. I would think not for long. The ceramic guides are slick. It is the air movement along with the cold that plugs up the smaller guides with the samll openings plenty fast.

from Davidd wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Mmmmm sounds good. thanks for the cooking tip! :}

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I've had one guy ask me in a rod building class why they don't make teflon, non-stick, coated guides......seems to work for your cookware.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

They do...called "CERAMIC" guides. Ice is slick as you should know....and ice keeps building on an icicle.
When are you going to get it?..called "bar water" Head to your nearest pub, and hope no one has taken your stool.

from erparf wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

And if you have forgotten to pre-treat and find those close to the tip guides frozen up, dip your rod tip in the water. The warmer water will melt the ice and give you a few moments to reel in line at which time you run to the nearest grocery store, buy PAM and pre-treat before the next cast.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from lighthouse wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This works very well, I had to use in Great Falls.
Learn to Fish and all you'll need to get started

mymvb.com/Fishing

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

You're solution....was it, 3rd barstool from the end?

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from jaukulele wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Jauk,

from Rhythm Rider wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

We even have sharks with freak'n laser beams.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Fly and Fin wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Fly and Fin....I use to date Olive Oil.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago