What's Your 2013 Fishing Resolution?

FlyTalk

December 28, 2012

What's Your 2013 Fishing Resolution?

By Tim Romano

Yeah, it's a bit cliché but I want to know what you all are planning on doing differently fishing wise for 2013. A friend and I had a conversation the other day about what we'd like to learn, try, visit and do more of next year. We came up with a number of items.

Mine include really learning how to spey cast with some proficiency and starting to figure out our local reservoirs for big lakers and musky on the fly. I'd also like to bone up on my local warm water locations. Lord knows there's enough of them. I simply need to get out a bit more and do some exploring.

What are yours? Do I need to make them some of mine?

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Lotsa fish on the switch rod, mostly pike, 'Ski's and wipers. We'll see how my follow-through is this year though.

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Tie some serious looking streamers this winter. I don't mean woolly buggers. I mean something more like articulated circus peanuts.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Besides the simple 'get out more'?
I want to spend some serious time figuring out Lake Nockamixon for any species here in SE PA. It's local, it's large, and I find it to be inscrutable.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

This year I plan on doing a number of different things including fly fishing for pike with a buddy of mine who has become addicted to it. Last year I stumbled on a stretch of stream far up from where most people fish to find a good population of smallies that were just destroying wooly buggers. So I plan on returning to that spot a few times. One thing I really want to do is some midnight brown trout fishing this summer. There is a guide on a river about an hour from me that takes guys out in the darkness and gets them into some big browns and he just so happens to be a friend of my boss so I get to go for free! But most importantly I want to get out more than I did last year. I started a new job and it dropped my fishing time almost in half :(

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

jcarlin, when I come back to visit my parents, I'm game to go in search of the dead sea fish, parent's place is only 5 miles from the 3-mile run ramp.

from amoor983 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Devils Lake North Dakota.

from Scott Hood wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Fly Fish more and write about it! And Win a trip to go fish with you guys!

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I will attempt to rid myself of inner demons and recognize carp as something worth fishing for and not just arrow fodder.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

While it does not involve fly fishing, I am planning on getting into the fine art of fishing from a kayak.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Buckhunter, you and I must be from the same generation. Back in those days carp were the enemy.
I still get aggitated when folks claim it's like fishing for bonefish. It's not....at all.
That said, I've done worse things(maybe)then fish for carp.I've caught them on a fly and found it somewhat enjoyable...I just won't be telling any old friends what I did. I's never hear the end of it. ;)

from The White Slug wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I plan on fishing ferociously. Not talking about it or buying unneeded items (I have tons for almost every contingency). Last year due to health and wealth constraints I fished the least I had in about 30 years. All problems alleviated (for which I am very grateful) I will always have gear packed in my truck to go at a moments notice after work. Many old spots and techniques to revisit with the plans to take a mess of my friends different youngsters along. Yea.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

My 2013 fishing resolution is to get out fishing at least a few times and fill the freezer with some delicious bass.

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I bought a switch rod recently so my plan is to be proficient with it when I go to Michigan to steelhead fish. I am okay with a spey rod so I'm hoping the transition won't be that difficult?

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Understanding bass. I've spent so many years focusing on becoming a better trout fisherman and trying to improve my fly fishing technique, but my bass fishing is usually a casual thing puffing on a cigar or floating in my boat while mindlessly reeling crankbait with little/no action. I need to start to improve both my warm water tackle box and understanding of how to use it.

from Greg Arnold wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Redfish and speckled trout in the Gulf with my grandson.
Time to pass it on, and he's ready for some saltwater wading action with a fly rod.

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Last year my highest priority was catching a musky on the fly with that done I need to catch a much larger musky on the fly also figuring out my newly acquired switch rod is a big one on my list. Besides jus getting out more my friends and I are really pushing to see if we can make a big trip out west none of us have spent more than a day or two out there so if I can accumulate enough time off I will hopefully make it out to Montana for a week

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I am taking my twin four year old daughters fishing this year.

And I don't care if I catch a darn thing either...

from wildernessguy wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

To fish more!

from Chris Pratt wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I just moved to SE British Columbia. I want to learn to fly fish. Then catch a native Westslope Cutthroat.

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Just to get out there more, and find some more spots.

from drobe2 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I want catch a bigger trout than my first, a twenty inch rainbow in a stocked kansas stream on a fly! By the way im only fifteen check out my pics in snapshots.

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Fish more with less. That is to say stop at the river or the park on the way home from work and for goodness sakes, you already have a hundred spinnerbaits, you don't need another.

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I work at a youth center and it's an annual goal for me to revive our outdoor program. We had a few good years back in the early 2000s when a regular bunch of six or seven kids were up for any kind of fishing trip. We'd hit all the local streams and ponds, and also do fundraisers to get the cash for a yearly charterboat salmon fishing trip on Lake Ontario. There's nothing like seeing a city kid fighting a twenty-pound king. Interest has pretty much bottomed out over the past four or five years, but this year is looking better as our regular crew of kids seem a little more adventurous and willing to put down the Guitar Hero and try something new.

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

That's an easy one...teach my little boy to fish.

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

...and my neice and nephew.

from robbanderson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Take the kids fishing

from OMuilleoir wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I resolve to catch as many trout per year as my age going forward!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Learn to Spey cast with a double handed fly rod, To ties the majority of the flies I use, Fish more alpine lakes, and I guess be nice to people that use spinning rods.

from Todd Tanner wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I'd like to put an arrow in a nice whitetail buck. In Ventura, California. In a Thai restaurant. Next to the men's room. Without looking down.

Barring that, I'd be happy to spend 8 days on the Dean, with lots of steelhead and no bears.

Either that, or fish the green drake hatch on the Old Man.

Or spend a week on the Ranch.

Or maybe fish the Mo with the boy.

In fact, all that sounds good.

from James Swanson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Since Trout Fly fishing is a dedicated entomological study at best not to mention ,casting,prentations of leaders and devises to cast flies in a thoughtfull manner in streams and lakes,creeks ,brooks ,a winter reflection is required.
Cleaning,inspection of old lines and equipment is always a must .Loading new flies of top ten for desired uses is always keen,caddis,Stones, mays,scuds,terestials and study possible changes to areas to be fished in new year to fish,making a few calls to verify any changes in water temps and levels and averages can save a lonely trips in snow levels are weak. Fail to plan fail to catch?

Bug Um

The Shadow Fisherman

from James Swanson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Fishing open Creeks in winter is a great way to keep edge on skills and surprizes .

Link to surprize in Creeks.

The Shadow fly fisherman

from Muskie wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Catch a 50 inch 'ski and learn to tie bucktail jigs for walleye fishing.

from gaelichunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Go out with a plan...or at least a plan to succeed and learn from instead of "just fishing".

from prizecatch wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Over the years, I've fly fished with my kids in tow and taught them as best I could. I've been in the fly fishing business for many years but for some reason my fishing time hasn't included my wife. I purchased waders, shoes, vest, and all the fixings for my wife so I can teach her in 2013.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Koldcut,
I just got back online after the holiday weekend. I'm game. Not sure how to get in contact through this site without broadcasting to world.

from tuna0410 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Fish more work less...

from jack1466 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

More fishin',catchin'more fish...

from James Merrill wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

hone my muski and pike skills, get the local giant(a monstrous muski that is known to rip hooks off of buck tails), had him on the line once...

from FlyinMonkey wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

The first thing I am going to do is watch my son catch his first fish. He will be two in March and he is already casting his line a good thirty feet. I plan on taking him to my dads pond that is full of good sized bluegill, putting a beetle spin on the end of his line, and wait for the magic to happen. For me, I want to catch a River Monster. I love to catfish so I want to catch a flathead over 25 lbs. May not sound like a monster to some of you, but that will beat the biggest cat I ever caught so that would make my fishing year.

from floyd11 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I'm gonna tried my hand at bow fishing this year. I recitely got into bow hunting and to keep up on my skills I've learned over the past year and a half I'm gonna try to stick a few fish and enjoy the days on the lake/river I choose

from Boiler02 wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Take my daughter fishing for the first time. That is enough, but I also want to catch a pike on a fly rod. More days on the water!

from flyboy96 wrote 38 weeks 4 days ago

learn the roll cast and some other essential fly casts...along with teiing some useful flies for warm water, possibly making my own large arbor reel

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Besides the simple 'get out more'?

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from amoor983 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Devils Lake North Dakota.

from Scott Hood wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Fly Fish more and write about it! And Win a trip to go fish with you guys!

from The White Slug wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Greg Arnold wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Redfish and speckled trout in the Gulf with my grandson.

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I am taking my twin four year old daughters fishing this year.

And I don't care if I catch a darn thing either...

from robbanderson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Take the kids fishing

from James Swanson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Bug Um

The Shadow Fisherman

from SD Bob wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from wildernessguy wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

To fish more!

from Chris Pratt wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Just to get out there more, and find some more spots.

from drobe2 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

That's an easy one...teach my little boy to fish.

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

...and my neice and nephew.

from OMuilleoir wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

I resolve to catch as many trout per year as my age going forward!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

from Todd Tanner wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Either that, or fish the green drake hatch on the Old Man.

Or spend a week on the Ranch.

Or maybe fish the Mo with the boy.

In fact, all that sounds good.

from James Swanson wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Link to surprize in Creeks.

The Shadow fly fisherman

from Muskie wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Catch a 50 inch 'ski and learn to tie bucktail jigs for walleye fishing.

from gaelichunter wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago