Come Hang Out With Me At The International Sportsmen's Expo

FlyTalk

January 17, 2013

Come Hang Out With Me At The International Sportsmen's Expo

By Kirk Deeter

For those of you who live in the greater Denver area, if you're looking for something to do this weekend that's fishy, but not cold, consider swinging by the International Sportsmen's Exposition at the Colorado Convention Center. As has been the case for the past few years, I will be hosting the Fly Fishing Theater. Only this time, I am just back (late last night) from a wild adventure to Argentina, and I will have stories to share at the show before you start reading them here.

The fly fishing theater has a stellar lineup of events. What I like most about these presentations is that they are entertaining to be sure, but they're informative. If you take in one or more of these events, you will definitely be a better angler. For example, we're kicking things off today with regular Fly Talk guest Robert "The Bug Guy" Younghanz. He's bringing the bugs, and will surely answer the tricky questions on hatch matching. You'll also get a chance to learn about Czech nymphing from Steve Parrott and carping on the fly from Barry Reynolds. Pat Dorsey will do his talk on the South Platte River, Tom Bie of the Drake will talk about the Yucatan, and my good buddy Conway Bowman is in town to talk about fly fishing on the "Ragged Edge." On Saturday, an event you'll definitely want to check out is a roundtable discussion at 1:30 with me, Tom, Conway, and Greg Thomas of Fly Rod & Reel all together. We're going to give you the behind the scenes skinny on what's hot and what's not in fly fishing right now. I will also be making a presentation on stillwater fishing tactics at 5:30 Saturday evening.

There's also a casting pond, plenty of hunting and conventional tackle information, and a number of fly shops will be there with screaming deals on product.

Hope to see you there! I usually have a bunch of Fly Talkers introduce themselves at the show, and it's nice to put the faces with the screen names. Show hours are noon until 9 Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $15 for adults; children under 16 and active military get in free. For more information check out Sportsexpos.com.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I looked at the presenters and schedule and I'm not going to come up this year. The only regret I'll have is not having a beer with you, and meeting Conway Bowman.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

Thanks to our friend Happy Myles, I have learned that traveling to these shows are well worth the trip. We have met in Vegas and Dallas and both trips were well worth the cost. Having an entire industry at your finger tips is priceless. Also, meeting the movers and shakers of the industry will open your eyes. Wish I had planned better for ISE but I was told Deet and Tim were NOT going to be there. Otherwise, Koldkut and I would be drinking beer in Denver this weekend.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

You can make it in a day, Buck...I can change all the plans to fish for 3 days straight in order to have beers in Denver.....and then make you stay for one more day to fish Granby.

from casestevenson wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

wish i'd read this before going today! Though I'm not much of a fly fisherman myself, my four year old daughter stopped transfixed at every fly casting demonstration and competition she saw. I think I found my new fishing buddy...

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

While in the midwest, I'll be going to the Cleveland Outdoor Show and enjoy the remarkable talents of Byron Ferguson. Always amazing.

from yanzi wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Asian Dating-I believe that this world really have feelings. But such as who can Gechen you, I would prefer that your life has never met me... www.lilydating.com

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago