If You Could Fish With Anyone, Past or Present, Who Would It Be?

FlyTalk

January 24, 2013

If You Could Fish With Anyone, Past or Present, Who Would It Be?

By Kirk Deeter

For starters, I have to admit that I'm stealing this idea from my friend Brennan Sang, who posed that question on Facebook a few days ago, prompting a string of responses I find very interesting.

I wanted to throw it out there for the Fly Talk nation, because fishing, to me, is as much about the people with whom you share the experience as it is about the fish themselves. It strikes me that so many people respond to this question by saying that they'd like to fish one more time with a family member or friend who has passed away. I feel the same way.

I wish I could hit a lake or a river with my Grandpa Ernie, who loved fishing very much. He taught me when I was a little boy. He passed away long before I became an editor-at-large with Field & Stream, but I think he'd like that. I wish I could make a few more casts with my father-in-law, Fred Warner, who put me on the fly fishing path. We last fished in July, a few weeks before he died.

And I fished many times with the late, great Charlie Meyers, with whom I wrote "The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing." Looking back, I almost feel guilty now for taking some of those jaunts to the river almost for granted. To be sure, I was acutely aware of the honor at the time. But, man, what I would give to lace up the boots one more time with Charlie, so we could wade and talk. I try to think about the lessons he shared when we did fish together, every single time I set out to write a story about these things now. But as the years elapse, I can't help but wonder if I'm on the right track, and if he'd be proud of the work.

I've been very fortunate to have shared some great times in beautiful natural places with some of the best anglers in the world. It has been, and continues to be a thrill to fish with my friend Tim Romano. We have more water to cover, to be sure. But it seems every time we get out there, we find something—or someone—particularly interesting.

Hemingway would be a trip. That would either go really well, or be a total disaster. And Ben Franklin, though not noted as an angler, intrigues me beyond imagination. Anyone who figured out as much as he did would probably revolutionize fly fishing theory within a matter of a few casts on a Pennsylvania creek.

I wonder who you'd fish with, and most importantly, I wonder why.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

For me it would be my father who passed away 13 years ago. I used to love going fishing with him and miss it very much. He was a bait-and-bobber guy that never got out to fish much So I would love to have the chance to teach him to fly fish. I think he would've enjoyed it.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I have always wondered what it would be like the fish with Teddy Roosevelt, but the one person would be my paternal grandfather who I never got a chance to fish with but was big into salmon on the Oregon coast.

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

norman maclean. theodore roosevelt. sam walton. elisha cuthbert.

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Curt Gowdy, Rocky McElveen, Jimmy Sites, Hank Williams Jr., Larry Bird or Jack Lambert. Catching fish would be a bonus but the conversations would be great!

from goin2themountains wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I never got to fly fish with my father as an adult. I would dearly love to have that opportunity, and a couple others. My great uncle Oscar who laid the softest fly line I ever saw, and an old man from up home who was always called Junior. I have watched him stand on the edge of a lake, looking backwards at a dwarf pine 80 feet behind him, and sure enough about his 5th backcast, his fly was hung in it. He sure could throw a long flyline.

from JRivers wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I would fish with Jesus. James and John (experienced fisherman) were fishing all day with no luck. Jesus told them to cast there net on the other side and they pulled in more than they could handle.

So not only would it be a great time fishing think about the conversation, the wisdom and all the fun it would be just relaxing with the savior of the world wow! Grinning ear to ear thinking about it.

from JoshDilly wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I would love to fish one more time for Tiger Trout with my grandfather. Coincidentally his last time fishing was our last time fishing together, he came out to fulfill his dream of fly fishing for Tiger Trout. He now lays in a home care bed, his body failing him it won't be long before passes. It truly breaks my heart every time we visit and talk. What I would not give for one more trip with him.

from JoshDilly wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Sinjin Eberle wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Honestly? It would be you, Romano, and Chunt...all together - four foot wide stream at 9,500 ft, 8 inch greenbacks, and bourbon.

Done.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I would go with my old neighbor Carl Laude. He took me sucker spearing, smelt fishing, and spin casting in the Finger Lakes during my younger days. A great mentor, for sure.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

any of the great fishing writers; gierach, mcguane, travers, etc.

from timromano wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

sinjin,

Let's do it man!

tim

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

The first person to come to mind would be my grandfather. He passed away in 1976 and it was inheriting his fly rods which got me into fly fishing. I stopped using his rods long ago after snapping one in half on a bass. I still have them displayed where I see them everyday. It is always good to be reminded of where you came from and those before you should never be forgotten. I never met my grandmother but I understand I got my sense of humor (well, I think I'm funny) from her.

If I was to chose a historical figure it would either be Izaak Walton or Jimmy Carter. Jimmy knows a thing or two about fly fishing.

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Jim Harrison's Brown Dog. (Not a real person, I know, but neither is Ben Franklin anymore). For those readers who don't know who Brown Dog is, get yourself to the library or Amazon and find out. If you like to read, you won't be sorry.

from treelimit wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

For anyone who can no longer do it, that's easy: Dad

from smccardell wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I would have to say it would be my 92 yr old Uncle, Woodrow Grindstaff. I have actually had the privledge of fishing with him while I was a wee lad and again twice last year. Woodrow hails from the Appalachian Mountains in Southwest Virginia. The fishing there is fabulous, but it's more about hearing his stories from WWII and seeing the smile on his face when he outfishes everyone. Even at 92, he can still fish with the best of them and loves nothing more than to pass on his stories and knowledge to my children.

from HuskerHunterFisher wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Hard to choose one, so I will choose 3: my father, who continues to be my primary fishing partner, my paternal great grandfather because I never met him, but he taught my father to fish and I have heard several stories that makes me wish I had known him, and Mr. Teddy Roosevelt, though I think Teddy would spend most of the time fishing and complaining about how little people seem to care about the outdoors these days. :)

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

My Grandfather. Fly fishing was his only hobby, and he was a master. I remember once returning to the car, he was sitting under a tree smoking his old pipe, he smiled and said he was listening to the sound of the water and the trees. Nearby, his wicker creel was sitting in the shallows in the shade, with a limit of fish. He was always a very peaceful man.

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Never got to fish with either of my grandfathers, and I never met my grandma's brothers but they were all outdoorsmen one of them actually wrote for field and stream back in the day. Definitely need to make a better effor to fish with my dad. Other than that I heard Walter Payton was a pretty good fly fisherman.

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

My dad. He died in 97 and I don't think that we ever saw a bald eagle while we were fishing together. I never fished with him in BC or the Yukon or Ak. We once almost went to Great Bear Lake, but he backed out. I really enjoy flyfishing with my nephew in SE Ak. He's made it up four times and supplies me with my biggist belly laughs of the year. He's 30 years junior to me but is a great friend on the water with myself and the Glockster.

from Wags wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

My Grandpa Doc. He put the first rod in my hand, he put the love of outdoors in my heart. Hystoplasmosis (sp?) took his lungs for the last 15 years of his life, I would have loved to take him out with my boys, but he couldn't. I loved to tell him how farm pond fishing in Indiana led to fly fishing on rivers like the Pere Marquette, the Ausable, some little river in Ireland, the Madison, etc. He just shook his head when I talked about Steelheading in the snow. Other than him, Gene Hill. AND Kirk Deeter, who I am supposed to go with someday for a blog post I submitted back in 2008 about why fly-fishing is such an art form, or something like that.

from airbornedoc wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Hmmmm.....first, what would I want out of the adventure? Second, what do I think I my role in the adventure would be? I think I'd want to go with my grandfather who passed away a few years ago. By the time I made fishing part of my life about a dozen years ago, he still had a few years left in him but schedules never allowed it. I wanted to be part of one of his stories. He was an accomplished raconteur. Whenever I was around him i'd prod him to tell me about something I saw in his house. He would look at it for a few seconds, look up in the air, take a deep breath and start with "Ohhh Yeah...." and get a sparkle in his eye, smirk to one side of his mouth and then begin to tell the tale. He made the any story come to life...the simple purchase of a rifle....the pursuit of wildgame in alaska, or a particular Cessna flying adventure. I always wanted to be part of one of those stories so I could see how he would portray our time together. Because it's not the fish that you catch but the memories you make.

from Glenn Shellahamer wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Bill Dance. Why? Because I have always admired him.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Thankfully I still have my father and grandfather to go fishing with. Dad likes bass fishing and I'm not sure if Pop has ever caught anything but a crappie. Since I want to get into fly fishing, I pick Lefty Kreh or maybe Kirk Deeter to teach me all I need to know and then some.

Now, if the fishing involves puttin a cricket on the hook and waiting for the cork to go under, I pick Hank Williams Jr. or Theodore Roosevelt simply for the conversation. I have thought of this before and I find it interesting that several people also picked Hank and Teddy.

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

My grandpa, love croppie fishing. I'd be on a lake with him tomorrow if I could. Also, John Wayne and Hank Jr. together would be a blast to fish with. The conversations would entertaining to say the least!

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

I take that back, my grandpa first and foremost for sure. But, I'd like to revisit the trip you, Romano and Cermele took to Colorado a few year back. That looked like it was a great time.

from onefoxalpha wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Grandfather and Tom Brokaw. I think both would have some amazing experiences and stories to share.

from onefoxalpha wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Hoski wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For me it would be my late Grandfather and his brother inlaw Great Uncle Frank.
Granpa was a commercial fisherman on the Great Lakes and an avid rod and reel fisherman as well.
Great Uncle Frank was a true all around outdoorsman of the old school variety, spent most of his working life as a PA game warden.
Just the chance to soak up a little more knowledge from these men...

from mblum9 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Although I would do anything to go fishing with my father one more time, I think if I had to pick anyone from history (and I can't believe no one has said this yet) it would have to be Ernest Hemmingway.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I would have to say Eric Clapton. I bumped into him one day at lunch at Bob Marriotts FF store in So Cal once. He was a nice guy. 2nd choice would be Zane Grey. THAT would be some interesting conversation!

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

To troll the harbor in front of the house, chasing schools of mackerel, one more time with my grandfather who is now 93 and riddled with parkinsons would be a great honor. The stories of WWII in North Africa and Italy or of his building wooden (and working on) sloops, schooners and draggers were and would be humbling, and fascinating to hear. Also, if I could fish by the sides of my future grandchildren, for one, it would ensure they got the chance to wet a line just once, but also, I would love to have the chance to place some of the morals and beliefs in them that my paternal forefathers have placed in me...
JRivers- that's a promise that we have been given. I believe your dream fishing partner will someday be met.

from stick500 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

John Candy. Of all the celebs he was the only one I ever I felt I wanted to hang out with. When he died, no one in Hollywood had an unkind word to say about him, which says a lot.
And, I imagine he was as funny in real life as he was in the movies. Some of you may recall his bit he did as the Fishin' Musician on SCTV.
"I sure love catchin' 'em, but don't like eatin' 'em."

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My father's grandfather practiced medicine as a horse and buggy doctor in very rural Missouri as far back as the 1880's. He died when I was three but he loved the outdoor life, teaching my father as well. To float the White River in Arkansas with him or to just float a cork in the local creek would be wonderful. Just to hear about his tales with his grandfathers from "back in the days" could be as fascinating to me or as depressing to him to hear about the advancements in the practice of medicine today.

from dgyoung wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I just missed a chance to fish with John Voelker (aka: Robert Traver) once a long time ago, and I'd like that opportunity again. I promise I wouldn't let it slip past me again.

from hoosierdude wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Hemingway!!! And my great-grandfather, from whom I'm told I get my fishing gene.

from swoolley wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My dad, who had lots of great stories, and my son who has only heard them second-hand.

from Brian Larson wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Sawyer, Hemingway, Wulff, but mostly my father since I never got to.

from wildernessguy wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My choice for the present would be April Vokey.

Past-? I'd have to think about it some more.

from chuckles wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I always wanted to fish with Lefty Kreh. Growing up in MD he was the guru and is accounted to be true gentleman by everyone he meets.
I have a lot of respect for Larry Dalhberg too. He seems like a good guy to wet a line with.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My father.

from OMuilleoir wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My Uncle Don, who taught me a lot about fly fishing, patience, and life.

from fflutterffly wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Gary LaFontaine

from wooden1dr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My biological paternal grandfather... I first met my biological father and his side of the family less than a year after Grandpa Harry passed away. From what everyone in the family has told me of him he loved to fish. Sadly I never got the chance and I never will... I think about a day fishing with him all too often.

from g.i.John wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

my first thought was Hemingway. but my dad and probably the guys at F&S would be great

from markmarko50 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

If I wanted to be entertained until I split a gut it would be Patrick F. McManus, and if I wanted to learn something Izaak Walton....then for pure enjoyment my 4 brothers and sister.

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I would want to fish with my grandfather. We hunted many times together as I was growing up and before his health kept him bound to a scooter and eventually to a bed. It has always stayed with me as I got into fishing as an adult even after he tried time and time again to take me fishing as a child.

So I have already begun taking my twin four year old daughters fishing and camping. I do it hoping that they latch onto it so that it is something we can all do together as a family. I also do it so that maybe one day down the road, they'll take their own children into the great outdoors.

I could hate the fact that I didn't get into fishing with my grandfather when he was alive. However, when I see my daughters squealing with absolute delight as they pull bream not bigger than a silver dollar out of the water. I begin to think that maybe my grandfather isn't too far away after all.

from jill57 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My Dad, I always caught fish when I went with him. He had lost his sight from diabetes, but still showed me how to fish, bait my line etc. He has been gone for 40 plus years I would love to be able to fish with him as an adult.

from Boiler02 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Given the chance, I would fly fish one time with my Grandpa Smith. I spent hours fishing for Walleye from the boat with him. I never knew he used to fly fish until after he passed when I learned. I'd love to spend any day fishing with him fly fishing or bait and tackle.

As an English teacher and all around literature nerd, I would love to spend a day on the Fox River fishing for brookies with Hemingway. I have planned family vacations around visiting/fishing where Hemingway fished.

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Dad, Pepere, and Kevin Van Dam.

from crosbychief wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

I never met my maternal grandfather....Dr. Harold S. Hulbert of Oak Park, IL, a somewhat well-known doctor and psychiatrist of the early 20th century. Hal died before I was born, an intense man with a bad ticker and a smoking habit. In 1924 he was asked by the famous defense attorney Clarence Darrow to help defend two brilliant young psychopaths who had kidnapped and killed a child in a thrill-killing. The trial drew such incredible press...."Crime of the Century"...that he rented a small cottage in northwestern Michigan at Frankfort to get his young family out of town to escape the death threats (he was, after all, defending 2 child murderers). The end result was the Michigan connection that drew me from the time I first caught a rock bass on the Platte River with my Dad. Hal, my maternal grandfather, taught my Dad, a New Yorker, how to fish...he bought a boat that I played in while I was not fishing from it...he left an old steel tackle box full of Heddon Crazy Crawlers, wire leaders and Eagle Claw snelled hooks. Hal, more than anyone else I never knew, opened my eyes to hunting, fishing and the appreciation of the disappearance of a bobber.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Halle Berry.

from GrantHarland wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

No brainer. Father conservation Teddy Roosevelt.

from 1ojolsen wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

It would be the child we lost whom I never met. I love fishing with my kids and I'll always miss those times I'll never have.

from HonkerKillr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My Dad, He has recently passed away. I would just love if I could hunt/fish with him one last time.

from HonkerKillr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Jeniffer Love Hewitt. Duuuh.

from hutter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Captain Ahab. Nothing much bigger than a whale !

from rpm13 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Left Kreh, at 87 he can out cast most people and being with him for even the shortest of times, I know I could learn a lot!!!! Would lone to bone-fish with him, enjoy him on Buccaneers & Bones, TV show.....

Saw him this weekend in Somerset, at the Fly Show, wonderful man.

from Nebadger wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

The first guide I met over 9 years ago and have fished with many times. He has become my fly fishing mentor. Fished like a friend the first time and became a friend for life. This new found passion has taught me it is the friends and destinations that are more important than the quanity or size of the fish. Many guides after, treat you like a client but he made you a feel like friend, and a friend for life. Alway enjoy fishing with him and look forward to many more times.

" rocks don't swim, eh"
Thanks Kirk
"Stan Schmenge"
Omaha, NE

from fishman417 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

my grandfather who passed away before I was born. otherwise I would fish with Charlie Moore

from fishman417 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from pa pheasantman wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My choice would be my idol, Earnest Hemingway. Great writer, great fisherman, great hunter. We do have some things in common, I also liked all of the above, was married numerous times as he was, and also loved some cocktails after a day on the stream or in the field. One big difference was our incomes. (Ha! Ha!)

from bullock wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Probably my dad and my son. They never got to meet each toehr as dad passed in 2007, and Eli was born in 2011. I firmly believe that my dad sees Eli, but once at the very least, I'd like for all three of us to be on a river bank somewhere, with a fire goin, a bucket of minnows for bait, and dad telling his stories so that Eli could hear them in dad's own words.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 10 weeks ago

For me, a young person, could be a girl that was highly interested in learning to flyfish, or better themselves as a fly angler.

from Jay Jensen wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

The person I would fish with is the legendary Virgil Ward.Who was elected into the fishing hall of fame and had his own TV show.

from Ncarl wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I think Bill Dance could teach me a lot about all different kinds of species. Not just bass...

from Gun Man wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I would have to say that the person I most want to take fishing would be my girlfriend. We are always talking about how we would like to go fishing together. I prefer to fish for catfish, but that is just my opinion.

from Pmacc60 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

George Harvey of Penn State what a legend,I met him at a seminare what a deticated flyfisherman and teacher!

from JRivers wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My father.

from g.i.John wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Jay Jensen wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

norman maclean. theodore roosevelt. sam walton. elisha cuthbert.

from MICHMAN wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from JoshDilly wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

any of the great fishing writers; gierach, mcguane, travers, etc.

from timromano wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

sinjin,

Let's do it man!

tim

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from treelimit wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

For anyone who can no longer do it, that's easy: Dad

from smccardell wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from airbornedoc wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Glenn Shellahamer wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

Bill Dance. Why? Because I have always admired him.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from jbell6826 wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from onefoxalpha wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from onefoxalpha wrote 1 year 12 weeks ago

from Hoski wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

For me it would be my late Grandfather and his brother inlaw Great Uncle Frank.
Just the chance to soak up a little more knowledge from these men...

from mblum9 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Greg Madrigal wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from stick500 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

"I sure love catchin' 'em, but don't like eatin' 'em."

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from dgyoung wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from hoosierdude wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from swoolley wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Brian Larson wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Sawyer, Hemingway, Wulff, but mostly my father since I never got to.

from wildernessguy wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My choice for the present would be April Vokey.

Past-? I'd have to think about it some more.

from chuckles wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from OMuilleoir wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

My Uncle Don, who taught me a lot about fly fishing, patience, and life.

from fflutterffly wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Gary LaFontaine

from wooden1dr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from markmarko50 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from jill57 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from Boiler02 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from seth trudeau wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Dad, Pepere, and Kevin Van Dam.

from crosbychief wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Halle Berry.

from GrantHarland wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

No brainer. Father conservation Teddy Roosevelt.

from 1ojolsen wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from HonkerKillr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from HonkerKillr wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Jeniffer Love Hewitt. Duuuh.

from hutter wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Captain Ahab. Nothing much bigger than a whale !

from rpm13 wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago

Saw him this weekend in Somerset, at the Fly Show, wonderful man.

from Nebadger wrote 1 year 11 weeks ago