Save the Colorado River Before It Gets Sucked Dry

FlyTalk

February 14, 2013

Save the Colorado River Before It Gets Sucked Dry

By Tim Romano

Friends, fisher-people, Fly Talk readers, my beloved Colorado river needs help.

Denver Water, Colorado's oldest and largest water utility is planning on sucking almost 80 percent of the Fraser River out of its bed and pumping it to the front range for consumption. They already take 60 percent right now.

The Fraser, a major Colorado River tributary flows from Berthoud Pass to the town of Granby. Besides being a very important tributary for the Colorado, the Fraser is a fishing jewel in its own right. Many people, myself included, believe this isn't necessary. We believe that taking simple conservation measures and increasing efficiency instead of grabbing more water would help ensure this river and the Colorado stay healthier going forward.

I'll buy you all beers, float you down the Colorado, guide you on the Fraser (if there's any water left) if you help me tell Denver Water to include additional protections for Fraser going forward and sign this petition.

What do you say, will you help me out and tell Denver water not to SUCK the Upper Colorado River dry?

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Tim,
I've never fished out west, hell I don't even own a fly rod but I follow this blog along with the rest on the site because I care about conservation across the whole country. Good luck with the fight. And I'll take you up on that float trip if y'all are victorious, but you'll have to be patient with my lack of skills or tolerate a spinning tackle on your boat.

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Well, I'd drink that beer but I just moved from the area to kansas. Here's the problem: people are moving into the front range at alarming rate, so fast that the powers that be are scrambling to accomodate the influx. Colorado water law does now allow transfers (leases) of water rights without major red tape. Then there's Mr salazar that wants to take, by executive order, water rights that private citizens paid for and allow a small commitee to decide how they are best used in the publics interest. As you might have guessed, I used to work in the irrigation/water business and was very close to water law in colorado, wyoming and california. No, people will not quit watering thier lawns and put them in xeriscape and they are far more worried about legalizing pot and re-electing Barak hussien than any water right issues. Regretfully, you and the fish will loose and I wish it wasnt that way.

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Part of me wants to say that the way to solve this is to limit development and cap populations at levels that don't lead to environmental destruction, but we have a terrible track record on that front and it will never happen. The best solution I see (and I guarantee this idea won't be popular among fellow readers) is to allow the Federal government to oversee waterways that affect multiple states. The truth is, what happens in Denver, doesn't stay in Denver, or even Colorado, for that matter. That said, I'll sign the petition.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Very sad!
When are people going to realize that our fresh water is our most precious resource? They want to suck your rivers dry, and here in PA they want to let them be polluted by this Marcellus gas drilling boom. This industry is already taking it's toll on our waters and it has only just begun.
I gladly signed the petition and hope for the best for your river.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Reflect on who the water rights folks are taking on....rich liberals in Denver. No holds barred when it comes to what they want. Down, and dirty.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from damo450 wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

ejpaul1, I completely agree with your comment. Their could be so much more done to improve the states water woes that do NOT include sucking rivers dry. I install Permeable pavers around the country but not in the Denver area. If water falls from the sky there, it belongs to the state and local governments. No rain water harvesting for watering purposes. Colorado used to be a leader in "hippie" building practices as I like to call them but they have fallen of the deep end when it comes to water in that state. Very sad indeed.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I signed the petition. I'll be in touch for a trip next summer. Can I bring my dog?

from Dcast wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I really don't understand the whole Colorado people and water issue. I live in Ohio so I don't, we don't here whats going on out west for the most part. I'm confused isn't Colorado considered a Semi-Arid region? So the state want's to take water from a semi-arid region to pump into another semi-arid region? The whole thing sounds stupid to me. You shouldn't allow development, factory or residential in a arid region without the full disclosure that if you choose to live there you live with what is there already. Anyway the whole pumping river to supply a semi-arid region is just idiotic and common sense tells you this isn't a good thing. So I will sign the petition.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Sounds stupid? Money sounds stupid? No. When it means billions if the Denver power brokers can divert water they will walk all over anyone with less deep pockets.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

When I was out west last summer I noticed that several houses thought they had to pump water right from the rivers so they could have a nice green lawn. I thought it was extremely wasteful. If you want a nice green lawn, then consider moving out of the desert.

from timromano wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

2lb.test - There's usually always a spinning rod on my boat. Shhhh...

ejpaul1- yup. In general people are willfully ignorant and pretty shortsighted (stupid). Sigh.

Clinchfu- as usual - misinformed.

redfisher - Agreed. Having a non-native "lawn" here should be illegal.

Thanks all for signing the petition. You can bring your dogs, girlfriends, kiddos, whatever... I'll bring the beer.

from Charlie Nichols wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

I hope the snowfall comes for you guys this year because I know more and more folks are going to build their second homes or primary residences in the region; that will only bring more needs for clean water. This of course will impact more of the very reasons that folks move to the mountains. I come from a region that has lots of water available and it is some of the most expensive in the east. Guarantee you don't waste water when it is expensive.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Romanao fills the bill of a typical liberal,,,no substance just attack the poster.

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from timromano wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from treelimit wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Tim,

I used to live basically at Valmont and Foothills but now am about 2000 miles away. Why couldn't Denver Water have precipitated this crisis when it would have been more convenient for me to "Cousin Eddie" you for a beer in your back yard? Nuts. But I'll sign anyway.

P.S. Been too long since I had a sausage, egg and cheese on Everything at Moe's.

from timromano wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

ha, thanks Treelimit. Yum, I think I'll get that tomorrow for breakfast. You lived pretty darn close to me too.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Tim, I think it is us that owe you the beer.

from lang123 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Asian dating --With you, I lost self;, without you I find myself wanting to be lost again. www.lilydating.com

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from wisc14 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

i signed the petition.

conserving water is a huge issue even where i am from in wisconsin. in the northern part of the state water levels and lakes have dropped to historically low levels. some lakes you can hardly launch a motor boat into anymore

from dirtybillsguidesvc wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

I lived in Littleton, CO from '01-'03 and we were having water shortages then. The local government was pushing for conservation, not draining the rivers to fill our resevoirs. What happened in the last 10 years?

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

STand out on pearl street mall with a petition, you need to dress lousily and don a long haur dreadlock wig, you'll get loads ot sign it, it wouldnt hurt to have a probama sticker of sorts, they'll ask no questions that way. Now, 16th street mall will be harder to get signatures without a probama sticker, keep the content shallow.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

dirtybill, and most of you slow thnkers don't seem to get it. What happened to conservation? lol! What happens to conservation when those governing the economy trash the economy? DUH! Conservation goes out the backdoor. Just what I told you on a lot of other issues. And water? It is never used up. Just as many atoms of Oxygen, and hydrogen as there ever was...a renewable resource.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Clinch, Conservation is a product of science and technology. In which case, conservation is better today than it ever was.

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Will the beer be from New Belgium, perhaps?? I hope so! But, in any case, I speak about this very issue when I talk about Harris Hawks during environmental education programs in schools. You can bet I will be sending this blog on to my friends and co-workers.
Few things make me more irritable than when I see fresh, green lawns and golf courses in arid or semi-arid regions. It's wasteful and arrogant.

from timromano wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Couldn't agree more Scout79. Thanks for passing on. New Belgium if you want it. Or Odells, Oskar Blues, Lefthand, etc... ;)

from 357 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

signed, my Aunt lives in Boulder and I've done my fair share of fishing in Colorado. I had to see Denver stomp all over a water way like that.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

buckhuner...That is your opinion. In many ways it is. What is the downside as I see it, is the far left environmentalists greatly contributing to a declining economy. When an economy declines, conservation measures, programs etc. are the first to go. Funding is not available, poaching increases, etc., etc. And we are seeing the effects of it from what I see anyway.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Why don't you give us links to facebook or email?

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Oops, there is a FB link.

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Now there's not, what the hey!

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

2lb.test - There's usually always a spinning rod on my boat. Shhhh...

Clinchfu- as usual - misinformed.

redfisher - Agreed. Having a non-native "lawn" here should be illegal.

from timromano wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

Very sad!
I gladly signed the petition and hope for the best for your river.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from Charlie Nichols wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago

from treelimit wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Tim,

from timromano wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Tim, I think it is us that owe you the beer.

from dirtybillsguidesvc wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from 357 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Why don't you give us links to facebook or email?

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Oops, there is a FB link.

from New Age Bubba wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Now there's not, what the hey!

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 9 weeks ago