Video: Largemouth Bass Tries to Eat Same Sized Fish

FlyTalk

April 02, 2013

Video: Largemouth Bass Tries to Eat Same Sized Fish

By Tim Romano

Last weekend I had the pleasure of getting out and sticking my first largemouth of the season. It was one of our first really warm days here and the fish were going bonkers even though water temps we're still in the 40s. I wasn't one to argue.

I love a good day of fishing for bass, be it fly fishing, tenkara, or soft plastics. You know it's all good and really warm weather is on the way when Mr. bucket-mouth starts chomping.  That's why I had to share this video one of my friends sent me the other day. I've seen bass eat some crazy things, like birds, snakes, obviously other fish but this one has to take the cake.

Enjoy and get out there and catch some bass.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Bass are crazy fish. The largest bass i have ever caught was while fly fishing on a friends farm pond in southwest PA. I hooked a blue gill on a popper and was bringing it in to shore when my rod was nearly ripped out of my hands. long story short it took me 10 minutes to land the 8lb bass which had swallowed the bluegill hole. The hook never made contact with the bass and if it hadn't inhaled it sideways or my friend wasnt so quick with the net I wouldnt have landed that fish. love bass fishing with a fly rod

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

What are the odds on pulling up while they are both still alive? That is quite a video.

from crosbychief wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

well played, as they say in England....glad to see you released both of them, and got a kick out of your narrative.

from esvahunter93 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I had this happen to me when I was fishing a pond last May. Saw something flapping on the surface, paddled over and 2 3 pound bass were stuck together, one trying to eat the other. We pulled them apart and they both swam off like nothing happened.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

How large of a streamer can you effectively throw on a 9' 8wt again?

from ffsnuffy wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Very nice video. I wonder if the bass was trying to actualy eat the other one or if they got locked in some form of mortal combat over territoy? I have seen other pictures and videos of fish bitting off more than they can chew. My favorite is a pic of a channel cat that tried to swallow a small promo style basketball.

from lookatthebones wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

Sadly, I think it looks staged. Look at the larger bass' mouth after he had pulled the smaller out, and the mouth won't even close its so stretched out. Even as its (sort of) swimming away, it's mouth is still open (looks like it was stretched/damaged from fishing pliers maybe). In this particular case, to me it looks like a cruel thing done by some punk.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Phyllis Schmulbach wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

If he was fishing, why did he let them go?

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

How large of a streamer can you effectively throw on a 9' 8wt again?

from crosbychief wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from haverodwilltravel wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from esvahunter93 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from ffsnuffy wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

from Phyllis Schmulbach wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

If he was fishing, why did he let them go?

from lookatthebones wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago