Video: Free-Diver Kimi Werner Rides Great White Shark

FlyTalk

May 09, 2013

Video: Free-Diver Kimi Werner Rides Great White Shark

By Tim Romano

This video isn't about fly fishing, but it should resonate with anyone who fishes or hunts for food. Kimi Werner, a free-diving spearfisher, talks about why spearfishing is her favorite way to collect food, what she feels is her place in the food chain and what hunting means to her. The video culminates with her encounter with a large great white, which pulls her through the water as she holds on to its dorsal fin.

from RockySquirrel wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

With apologies to Jim Croce.

You don’t tug on supermans cape. You don’t spit in the wind. With a grizz you don’t pick a fight, you don’t pul the mask on the old lone ranger and you don’t take a ride on a great white.

from badsmerf wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

That was insane.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

HOLY Crap! Great video. I dunno if that was the smartest move she ever made. Cool indeed, but that girl's begging to become a statistic.

from MaxPower wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

I call this 'Grizzly Man Syndrome', where someone has spent so much time in a specific environment or with one species that they believe their experience and knowledge makes them immune from danger or the laws of nature. We could also label it Steve Irwin Syndrome. Like Madrigal said, she's begging to become a statistic.

That being said; this is some great footage, that shark is HUGE and I love that she say's "it's not man and the ecosystem... man is part of the ecosystem".

from RJ Arena wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

"oh I have so much experience I can read the sharks energy" or something just as stupid. She or one of her stupid copycats out there will be as stated above, a statistic, just like the people mauled by lion, bears or any other huge predator. When I was 19 I worked in a zoo for a short time, and the zookeeper in charge of the leopards told me that he bottle fed them from the time the were born, (their mother rejected them)he raised them and he said" now that they are grown, if I go into their cage and turn my back, they will kill me! they are wild animals not pets."
A lesson learned for me the easy way.

from Rhythm Rider wrote 48 weeks 4 days ago

Her gonads are bigger than anyone commenting here. That said, if her brains are bigger than her nads, she won't make this a habbit.

Great video, and she lives a great life doing what she does.

from RS08 wrote 48 weeks 3 days ago

I am thinking theres a typo, her last name must be treadwell. And yeah rhythem rider, big enough she needs a dump truck to haul'em around

from RockySquirrel wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

With apologies to Jim Croce.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

from badsmerf wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

That was insane.

from MaxPower wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 48 weeks 4 days ago

Great video, and she lives a great life doing what she does.

from RJ Arena wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

A lesson learned for me the easy way.

from RS08 wrote 48 weeks 3 days ago