What's the Most Impressive Feeding Event in Fishing?

FlyTalk

June 10, 2013

What's the Most Impressive Feeding Event in Fishing?

By Tim Romano

This past Wednesday I played a little hooky and spent the day throwing size 6 dry flies at ravenous trout on the upper Colorado River at one of my favorite locations. While I've been known to skip out on work to go fishing for the day, this wasn't just any other day. The weather was perfect, the water flows were just right, and the fishing was silly good.

We were chasing the giant stonefly's known as salmon flies or (Pteronarcys californica).  This is an event that might only last a couple weeks, moves upstream with warmer temps, and only happens on a handful of rivers in the west. It typically coincides with heavy runoff on the Colorado, making it virtually unfishable. So it was was extra special that it didn't this year, leaving water levels relatively low during the hatch. To put it in perspective I've been trying to hit it here for the past 10 years and I've only seen it like this twice. Yesterday was one for the books—a day I will not forget for a long time.

I know Deeter's asked you all what you think is the best hatch in all of fly fishing, be it salmon flies, hex's, or green drakes, but I'm curious about a different question. What's the best fishing feeding event out there? Is it the striper blitz out east, the Palolo worm hatch in the keys, the crab flush at Boca Grande, the smelt run in the western lakes of Maine?  I personally think the salmon fly hatch is one of the most impressive events I've ever witnessed. How about you?

from themadflyfisher wrote 44 weeks 2 days ago

I don't know what the most impressive feeing event is. But for me it may have been last week. I was fishing a fly only catch and release stream after a storm and when the clouds cleared the bugs came out like I have never seen before. Tan caddis, cahils, and march browns(I think) were coming off everywhere producing a fish with almost every cast. It was the best dry fly action I have ever had and it happened on my birthday to make it that much better! I have caught hatches plenty of times but that day was just awesome.

from SMC1986 wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

Gotta go with water boiling rockfish chasing baitfish.

from buckhunter wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

The best we can do in Ohio is a heavy caddis hatch but I know they pale in comparison to hatches like the hex in Michigan or the hoppers out West.

from Creek Chub wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

I'm surprised that Buckhunter didn't mention the mulberry hatches that drive the carp nuts all over the Cleveland area. Truly a spectacle to behold.

from Koldkut wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

I know none of the big feeding events, but the two most impressive things I've seen with regards to fish feeding are a wiper chasing a rainbow trout on a clear as all get out, total glass day, and schools of false albies, those things look like a bunch of samurai swords at the rate of speed that slice though baitfish.

from ejunk wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

forget this annual stuff: when you're in the middle of a real-deal 17 year locust event, every fish of every species in every water body will feed on the surface.

from buckhunter wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

Creek Chub, How right you are. I'm not giving enough love for our carp. The cottonwood tree seedling drop is currently driving carp crazy in Ohio. Just take a white sucker spawn and trim it back to near nothing and cast in front of a carp sucking the cottonwood tree droppings off the top. Last week I had several dozen carp feeding off the top in from of me at one time.

Speaking of carp. I ordered Deeter's new carp book today. I guess the book's not available to us common folk yet. Amazon says I have to wait for a ship date.

from bsheahan1229 wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

In a pond by my house, I caught about 40 bluegills when all these inchworms were falling off trees. I tied a quick fly with yellow deer tail to make it look like one, and it was really fun. I saw one eating at least every 5 seconds.

from CABdriver wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

The one that's right in front of you.

from kirkdeeter wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

You are a good man, buckhunter. A giant among mortals.

from BigTex wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

The annual albatross hatch in Hawaii, with tigers waiting in the surf. That would be some good topwater fishing!

from Greg Madrigal wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

Obviously none of you have seen a tuna boil on a large mass of baitfish. Imagine an area the size of a football field FROTHING. Fish and bait are jumping in every direction, and all hell has broke loose! You get bit on almost anything! Talk about an adrenaline rush!

from troutmad wrote 43 weeks 4 days ago

I have fished all over the US. I have always been stunned by the amazing Stonefly hatches out West. It is so cool to see these large bugs hatching in the middle of the day, and catching the big fish that they excite to eat them.

Having said that, I have never fished a better, more exciting hatches and spinner falls than the Hexagenia Limbata in Michigan! These bugs are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

When the evening turns from dusk to dark, these bug come out of the trees by the millions! You have to keep your mouth shut, so you don't have an extra dinner. I remember making casts and hearing the bugs hitting my rod with every stroke. When they are active, huge trout come out to feed.

There is nothing more exiting to me than using your hearing and touch senses to catch fish, because there are nights when you can't a damned thing!

from Kevin Dooley wrote 43 weeks 3 days ago

I caught that upper CO salmon fly hatch, albeit I stayed below the Pumphouse on a Saturday near Rancho to get away from the crowds. Only one other angler where I was and the bugs were still everywhere. The fish were likely a little "full" from the previous couple of days, but there was still plenty of takers. It is epic event to say the least. The green drakes on the Frying Pan also comes to mind as a great event to try and be a part of. Amazing and vicious rises for those bugs.

from kirkdeeter wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

You are a good man, buckhunter. A giant among mortals.

from themadflyfisher wrote 44 weeks 2 days ago

from SMC1986 wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

Gotta go with water boiling rockfish chasing baitfish.

from buckhunter wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

from Creek Chub wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

from Koldkut wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

from ejunk wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

from buckhunter wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

from bsheahan1229 wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

from CABdriver wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago

The one that's right in front of you.

from BigTex wrote 44 weeks 1 day ago