The Scariest Toy Commercial You've Ever Seen

FlyTalk

November 11, 2013

The Scariest Toy Commercial You've Ever Seen

By Tim Romano

Watching the Colbert Report late one night last week I was dumbfounded when host Stephen Colbert ripped a relatively new Toys "R" Us commercial to pieces on his show. I wasn't surprised that Colbert ripped it, but rather the message that Toys "R" Us portrays in the ad. It shows a busload of kids who thought they were going on a field trip to the forest to learn about trees, and everything else the forest has to offer. You know... rivers, lakes, animals, fishing, hunting, awe, wonder, etc...

Instead the "ranger" leading the field trip tells the kids that they are headed to a Toys "R" Us store. I couldn't believe it... It was in my opinion everything that's wrong with the world today. Not that I have anything against toys, but to portray the outdoors as boring, and condemning a day of education for a trip to a big box seems incredibly irresponsible to me. As Colbert says, he wants to give a "Tip of the Hat" to Toys "R" Us for reminding our kids that "nature sucks."

I don't know what the answer is to messages like this on TV, but something tells me if we took a kid out fishing for the day it'd be a whole lot more productive than shipping them off to a fluorescent lit warehouse full of cheap plastic.

from casestevenson wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago

i'm not buying anything from them for my kids. thats the most disgusting thing ive ever seen!

from tleichty1989 wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago

Its really unfortunate that families allow their kids to be inactive. Childhood obesity continues to climb out of control in the US. A lot of it has to do with commercials like this and the socialization children receive from media, their parents, etc. Get kids outside show them how cool nature can be. I really hope our next generation is not being foreshadowed by this commercial.

from jcarlin wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago

I think for the most part this isn't a worry, but does require some effort on parent's part. Even some of the most video game addicted kids you meet will get psyched up about a day out on a lake. There are of course exceptions, but hey, humanity exists on a bell curve. I was thrilled the other day when my 16 year old daughter wanted waders so that she could extend the fishing season. It surprised me. My kids like to camp and they all fish at times and have all been out hunting with me, but I thought we were losing the oldest to other things.

from jcarlin wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago

It is moments like that which affirm our decision to move out of Philly to a much more rural setting.

from Laurie Lee Dovey wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago

Does this really surprise us. This is the company that won't sell cap guns or cowboy guns, but sells violent video games. As to jcralin's point about parents and parenting, agreed. However, there is little of that these days, for more kid than we want to admit. I haven't shopped at Toys R Us in years and won't again.

from RealGoodMan wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago

Toys R Us sells toys that turns children's brains to mush. Forget that place. Plus, most of that crap is probably toxic and made in china.

from haverodwilltravel wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

The only way we beat them is to boycott them or at the very least let them know their propaganda didn't work on us.
I understand business. I am in business. I under stand that for every plastic cap gun they sell they will be sued by some slime ball lawyer or Liberal Government Agency and blamed by every Chicago Street thug of Serial Killer as part of their defense. I get it. The costs fighting back, even when you win, are staggering.(Which is why America NEEDS loser pays).
Truth is they probably would love to sell the old Davy Crockett, Cops and Robbers and Cowboy toy guns. But they never will as long as we allow both these things to go on.
So write them. Tell them YOU take offense to their commercials and that YOU will not shop there until they decide who they want their customers to be. Soccer Moms, Low Life Lawyers and Bureaucrats OR the average American guy who wants to play Daniel Boone with his son on a hike in the woods.
Their choice...but they don't know they have one unless you let them know how YOU feel.
P.S. Stop watching Colbert and call his advertisers, he's no friend of the Sportsman either.

from stick500 wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

I just popped the company an e-mail- I bet they're getting the message at this point after the Colbert deal
BTW, a previous poster mentioned Colbert was no friend of sportsman- well, I hope everyone realizes his conservative character is all a schtick

from brwntroutangler wrote 22 weeks 3 days ago

I don't know that I want this bunch of kids running around my favorite trout stream.... Teaching them to enjoy the woods from birth is probably the way to go. They might not destroy it in the process!

from Laurie Lee Dovey wrote 22 weeks 4 days ago