The Resolution Fish: What's Your 2014 Agenda?

FlyTalk

December 30, 2013

The Resolution Fish: What's Your 2014 Agenda?

By Kirk Deeter

As many of you know, each year I like to set a New Year's fishing resolution. I resolve to catch X in the next year...

Sometimes that can be a "quantity" goal, like trying to catch 20 different fish species on the fly in a year. Sometimes I zero in on a specific fish (someday I will indeed catch a musky on the fly, though I have resolved to do so and not achieved that for many years).

This year I've decided that I want to do a "double-10." I want to catch a 10-pound brown trout, and at 10-pound rainbow trout, both on the fly. But here's the rub: no stockers! Only wild fish count. And only North American fish, no freak chasing in South America.

I feel pretty good about the rainbow odds, since I'll be doing a lot of steelhead fishing. But the brown trout is going to be tough. I think my best chance will be hoofing mouse flies at night.

Do you have a fishing resolution? I'm not talking about "fish more often," or "take kids fishing," which should be resolutions for everyone. I'm talking about specific species, pounds, and inches. What's on your list?

from Will Fletcher wrote 15 weeks 6 days ago

Tarpon, Permit, or Bones while on my honeymoon in Belize. Also, will be in NOLA the 1st week in January and would love to get in to some big redfish. Could be a good year!

from buckhunter wrote 15 weeks 6 days ago

Now that my son is stationed in Southern California I will guess I will be doing some kayak fishing off the San Diego or La Jolla beaches. Have also been considering a quick trip to the Bahamas for those salty creatures I read so much about. This was my best year yet with muskie on the fly. Several follows but no takes. Getting closer.

from Koldkut wrote 15 weeks 6 days ago

2014, the year that the IGFA record blufish on the fly gets set on the DK with Capt. Eric, mid-October :)

from habben97 wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

a northern pike over 40 inches, and I would like to catch more bowfin.

from tvash wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Catch a sail fish while in Costa Rica for a destination wedding!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Return to Alaska for a couple of weeks to fly fish for giant rainbows and fresh sockeye on the Brooks River. I fished it almost every day for five months seven years ago. That wasn't enough!

from Flintlock wrote 14 weeks 6 days ago

Make better headway catching different species of native trout in their native waters on a fly. Won't get all of them done this year because that's a ton of ground to cover but I hope to put a pretty good dent in my list.

"Wade deep, cast far, fear not." -Joe Randolph

from Will Fletcher wrote 15 weeks 6 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 15 weeks 6 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 15 weeks 6 days ago

from habben97 wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

a northern pike over 40 inches, and I would like to catch more bowfin.

from tvash wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Catch a sail fish while in Costa Rica for a destination wedding!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago