Commercial TV Blows Another Chance to Depict Fly Fishing with Style

FlyTalk

January 23, 2014

Commercial TV Blows Another Chance to Depict Fly Fishing with Style

By Tim Romano

For the life of me I can't figure out why casting directors haven't ever once put a decent caster in front of the camera for TV commercials. Be it big-pharma or in this case, a 30-second spot for Southwest Airlines, they're always miserable.

Check out the underhanded tailing loops, piles of line landing on the water, line striping, the ridiculous hook-set, the reel appearing on opposite sides of the rod, and not to mention the horrible handling of the fish at the end.

Ugh… Listen up Hollywood or wherever these things are made, just give me a call the next time you want to show a fly caster in one of your cheesy commercials. I've got plenty of good looking friends that could show you how it's done.

from Dangle wrote 12 weeks 21 hours ago

I've made that point many times. I have one of my fly fishing partners, my wife, sit, and scrutinize the caster in the commercial for good, or bad fundamentals, and what they did wrong. I have never seen a decent caster as well. The answer may be that most of those that fly fish, are not very good casters as well. And the commercial wants to reach most of the public consumers that don't know how to even hold a fly rod let alone cast one. I just got my new Cabela's fly fishing catalog, and they have a guy in it holding the line, and rod in a goofy fly casting position.

from Flintlock wrote 12 weeks 16 hours ago

Saw that commercial on tv and commented to my wife what a horrible cast that was. But then, someone that doesn't fly fish (casting director included) most likely wouldn't recognize what was wrong with that cast anyway. Perhaps it will be enough inspiration for some spin fisherman or worm dunker that has already pondered the art and frustrations of fly fishing to wander into the local fly shop for some gear and lessons.

from jcmesq wrote 12 weeks 16 hours ago

They've even got fly reels on spinning rods, in one of the latest pharmaceutical commercials! Hire a knowledgeable consultant, corporate America, to review your work, before releasing it to the public. All you are doing is insulting the same crowd you are trying to attract.

from stick500 wrote 12 weeks 16 hours ago

they don't care that only the fly fishers will notice anything wrong

I got the biggest chuckle out of the hook set- it looks like he hooked into a 150 lb. sturgeon!!

from treelimit wrote 12 weeks 15 hours ago

Dude, Hollywood/Madison Ave. screws up depictions of EVERY activity. How in the hell are those couples in separate bath tubs out in some field ever going to make business?

from Rockne Locey wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

Get over your professionalism and selfish selves! This was obviously a commercial set up for novice (vacationers) Jeese Louise!!!!!!!

from jcmesq wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

I understand the lighter side of it, too. And, the rank and file doesn't know or care. Yet, the first thing I see are the flaws...

from jcmesq wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

And, my first comments follow the theme of this story.

from themadflyfisher wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

HAHA. That was pretty funny!

from JustTakeMeHunting14 wrote 12 weeks 9 hours ago

thats better than what I can do with a fly rod. That being said, I never had anyone to teach me how to fish with anything except for spinning and casting equipment. To me, this commercial is appealing since I'm not as skilled and have never managed to catch a fish on the fly despite my efforts.

from abcdpete wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

It's not pretty but it's certainly a lot better than the bow and arrow cast with a spey rod and a bobber.

from Dangle wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

abcdPete...Thought I'd seen it all in fly fishing, but never have seen that one!! Get a bunch of flyline on the ground, and I'd bet you could really launch a bobber with a long spey rod! Bend it back laying yourself back on the ground, and let go launching yourself back up, and the bobber to'ell, and gone! i can visualize it all.

from Retired Chief wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

have they EVER got it right? yeah, the commercial with the center-pin reels and the old guy and his grandkid always disgusts me. Doesn't ANYONE in the entire production process of the commercial have a clue? Dumbing down, through and through.

from Doug Leichliter wrote 11 weeks 4 days ago

The Symbicort commercial is almost as bad where in the final shot they have the traditional 2" red and white bobber tied to the fly line and toss it by hand into the current, followed shortly with high fives all around as the young lad slips what appears to be a 20" trout back into the water

from muskie45 wrote 11 weeks 4 days ago

State of Michigan used actual, good fly caster in one of their tourism ads. Maybe they decided not to insult the folks they want to attract.

from themadflyfisher wrote 11 weeks 1 day ago

abcdpete/dangle- You should watch Joe humphrey's fish small PA streams. He loves the bow and arrow roll cast and he does it with amazing precision!

from jcmesq wrote 12 weeks 16 hours ago

from treelimit wrote 12 weeks 15 hours ago

from jcmesq wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

from jcmesq wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

And, my first comments follow the theme of this story.

from Dangle wrote 12 weeks 21 hours ago

from Flintlock wrote 12 weeks 16 hours ago

from stick500 wrote 12 weeks 16 hours ago

they don't care that only the fly fishers will notice anything wrong

from Rockne Locey wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 12 weeks 14 hours ago

HAHA. That was pretty funny!

from JustTakeMeHunting14 wrote 12 weeks 9 hours ago