Bourjaily: A Room of Your Own?

The Gun Nuts

May 21, 2009

Bourjaily: A Room of Your Own?

By Phil Bourjaily

Recently both the sporting goods stores I frequent completed remodeling jobs, taking out their stand-up gun racks and putting in new ones. From one store, I scrounged a bunch of rack bottoms, lined with cutouts for the butts of long guns. From the other, I scored the top halves, with notches cut in them for the gun barrels. Both the tops and bottoms are made of oak and luckily for me, they’re a close match in color. I am set. All I need now is a gun room.

And, I do need a gun room, or at least, a walk-in gun closet. I don’t own that many guns compared to most gun writers, but the ones I do own are stored too close together in small safes. My guns get more dings going in and out of the safe than they do in the field. Pumps and double guns can sit in close proximity to one another without touching but semiautos and bolt actions can easily reach out and gouge the gun to their right.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an extra room in the house for me to appropriate.  Peter Mathiesen, one of my F&S colleagues and a much handier man than I faced the same problem and solved it by making himself a basement gun room. He framed up a wall to enclose a small, windowless room in one corner of his basement and wired in a light. He built gun racks like the ones I scrounged from the two stores then hung a stout, lockable metal door on his new wall and the job was done. When you walk in now you see his guns lined up and standing at attention in their racks, safe from one another and ready to go hunting.

Does anyone out there have a home-made gun room, or gun storage advice to share?

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Twice I have had friends build gunrooms in their basements and twice somehow water has gotten to the guns. One event took place on a ranch so the water table probably rose due to irrigation but the other situation happened in town. I suggest elevating your gun racks a few feet off the floor perhaps attached to a wall just in case.

from minigunner111 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

No I don't but stores just give away the racks when they remodel? I'll have to watch.

from Teodoro wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I have seen a room like this that worked well on a well-drained home site. It's definitely a setup I'll consider when I think I'll be living somewhere for a while.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Our oldest may be leaving the home to persue a full time career out of state, so if goes...the room will become mine to do what I wish! It's approx size is 15'x 16', with a nice sized closet which I will convert to a gun vault. A friend of mine had converted a closet in his office with a steel "insert" with a roll-up type of door which allowed a normal looking wooden door be attached to not attract attention to it. I may do something like that with a wooden framework to hold the guns in place with a few shelves in it, as well.

from dneaster3 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Guns in the basement rusted by water.
Guns upstairs burned by fire.
Guns in the safe damaged by other guns.

So what I need is an upstairs, fireproof, water tight safe the size of a child's bedroom..... hmmm.

from jay wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

it sounds tempting but I still like to have my guns in a fireproof safe. Building a room in the basement or converting a closet would be too easy for someone to get into. A couple of kicks to the drywall; they would be in.

I would guess that the steel insert mentioned above was to make it harder to get to the guns.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

First- stay out of the cellar. Too much humidity.

My advice is to use a variety of woods to finish the room. Mine includes knotty hickory, maple, knotty alder, pine and basswood. Use natural finish (or no more than one shade of color) in order to highlight the wood's God-given beauty. Choose the hickory for the cabinets that support the work surface, because it is very dent-resistant. For the work surface, use Formica. My pattern is Colorado Slate, and it blends beautifully with the hickory. The Formica is incredibly tough and impervious to gun oil, and just about anything else you might spill (eg., Hoppes #9).

If you can find an antique Amish hatrack bench in quartersawn oak to hold the flat-screen televison/DVD player, it will add charisma to the room. And you can hang your flyfishing hats there, too.

The only drawback to a room like this is that your buddies always want to watch the outdoor videos or plan the next outing at your place. Which may lead to a remodel of your BBQ area. Or a larger refrigerator to hold more refreshing beverages. Or a spouse who doesn't understand why your buddies can't gather at their house.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Phil,

I feel your pain. I've got'um stacked upside down and sideways! But alas, no more room in the inn... I'm thinking of building on. Maybe I can replace the china cabinet with a gun safe... hum... thats a thought...

from John L wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Huh,
Old metal cabinet, with one old towel on the bottom, and one old towel taped to the side, seems to hold them in place quite well, out of sight of any windows.
If any thief breaks in, they won't have to work very hard, or cause much damage, but then I don't have any of them high-price gems, just ones that hold a lot of good memories.
Don't care how they're displayed, just how good they feel in the hands and in the field.
But, did have 30+ there recently, and the picture feels as good as sitting right there.

from Brian W. Thair wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

The humidity & rust problems with basement gun storage just make me shudder. With all due respect to the builder, basements are cool/cold and condensation is a gunwrecker. A false wall cavity in an upstairs spare bedroom would be my choice.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Don't even think about it buddy.

Love,
Mrs. Beekeeper

from 60256 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

We have a tall case that is water tight and fire proof.

Nate

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

A friend of mine's father has a false wall built into the back of a closet in his house where he can store guns out of sight. I believe he used to store all his guns there, now I think he maybe only uses it for low priced ones as he has the largest gun safe of anyone I know, and he's considering buying another safe as well.

from horseman308 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I know a guy who, when he built his house, built one room as a literal vault to store his guns. He built the four walls with laticed 3/4" iron rebar inside the walls and bought an old bank-vault door that is 3" thick and has a 4-number combination lock. The only way into that room is to burn it down, blow it up, or take so long that the cops will show up from the alarm being triggered long before anyone can cut through enough bars to get through the wall.

from beanap wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

my closet is a big walk in.. although i need to get new gun racks

from MidMichHunter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I have the same problem, too many guns in a small safe. I have rearranged how I place then in the safe to find the optimal locations for each, but still bump them against each other when I remove one. After reading this post, I have a new pet project. The safe is in my basement office's closet. There is plenty of room to hang or stand up my small collection on the walls and to place a nice hand gun display. Fire protection and a good door will take some thought, but do able. Now I gotta sell that idea to the wife...

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I figure I'm 5 or 6 years away from my gun room. Once I get my oldest out his room is mine. I don't have many guns at all but I'd like to have an airconditioned room to do the minimal gun and bow work I do. I'll probably also put my eliptical and weight bench in there. It'll get tight quick. Righ now I do all my gun work on my bench in the garage. My guns are in a small safe in my 8'X8' bedroom closet. Sometimes the wife's shoes have to be moved to get it open.

from Scott Kittinger wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

We're in the process of converting a small attached garage into a room for me, a "man-cave" type thing. I'm fortunate enough to have a coworker who is also a carpenter and he's helping me design it. In this room my guns and fishing equipment will be stored. I'm using the wood of an old barn to decorate it and will save some of the siding for the gun cabinet. It will have no display and be anchored onto an existing wall, kind of like an old wardrobe cabinet. The fishing gear will hang on the wall with my muzzle loaders. I have no in-lines, but flintlocks and caplocks of various types. The rifles and shotguns will be in the case and it'll be humidity controlled as it's just another room in the house. We have no children so all but the smoke poles will remain 10-8 and the service pistols will be handy. If an occasion ever arises where intruders would try to break into the cabinet, they'll create such a stir the neighbors a quarter mile away will hear them. Barn wood is stout stuff. This has been a great project and is just about as much fun as one can have.

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I am lucky to have a finished recreation room on the end of a detached two-car garage. Being well insulated, the temperature and humidity fluctuations are pretty stable. My nicer guns are in a big Browning gun safe. Other firearms are stored in an old Dr. Pepper soda machine with an "Out of Order" sign on it. Makes a good, poor-man's gun safe, and made to be tamper proof. These guns are in silicone impregnated stretchy gun socks. The chance of fire is greatly reduced by having them away from the house. I keep an SKS in the house for both home protection and for "bait" for any "grab and go" type break-in.

from jjas wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I'm going to go against the grain here and admit that a year or so ago, I took a critical look @ my guns and decided I really didn't need them all.

I sold all but 7 of them. 2 rifles, 2 shotguns, 2 handguns and one muzzleloader fill my needs +.

I decided if I wasn't using them, why keep 'em and I've not regretted it @ all.

But, to each their own.

Jim

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Many good ideas presented here. One thing puzzles me though and that is the great number of gentlemen here who seem to suffer P*ssywhupeditis!! If you are the one buying or owning
the house and paying for every thing else why ask permission?

Forgiveness is often easier to obtain than permission. {8^)

from p852pck wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

First, I do have a gun room in my basement, BUT when I built the place I had floor drains installed so that any natural, or manmade disaster, like a water heater letting go, would not build up more than a 1/2 " tops.
I would still put my guns safes up omn 4 to 6 inch high pallets or "stilts" that would allow drainage and drying should something happen.
Second, my recommendation, is next to a cement wall, for fire purposes, even if you don't have a fire safe. Just simple thermal mass.
Third, I grew up in MA, in a fairly bad area. so as I acquired my collection, I added safes.
turned out the best thing I did.
You don't have all your eggs in one basket. I have 6 gun safes. All with Sargent and Greenleaf combination locks and all with the same combination
They were small enough that I could move myself, and I paid cash so they did not have a record of where they were going and they reset the combos to my number.
They are bolted to the wall studs, and also bolted to each other with 1/2 inch stainless steel bolts.
Hope this helps. I did have fantasy of having a room with all guns on display, but that is gone with reality and liability.

from p852pck wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

By the way, my basement is partially finished, on one side it is 16 feet below grade and open to grade on the other. (built into side of hill).
and there was a vapor barrier ( plastic) and a stryofoam board applied before the cement was poured, so it is quite stable in temp and humidity.
You may have to make adjustments, but and insulated room with an incandescent light bulb on, and a dessicant can keep a small 8'x10' room quite stable in temp and humidity.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I built a walkin gun closet. Lined the walls with pegboard over 2x4's and use large heavy duty pegs to rest the guns on. I can easily rearrange the peg configuration to make room for new long guns and pistols. Installed a couple dehumidifiers and put some ammo shelves at one end.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Never put your guns in the basement, as no way can stopthe moisture from entering, even using a Elec. heater stick. I have a Vault in my Den and a gun cabinet. I store the better guns in the Vault and those not high dollar in the gun cabinet. Aso, long guns should be stored wth muzzle downwrd to stop the oil from seeping thru the wood and making it soft wood, then when fired, the stock cracks.I also have a hidden space in my clset 8 ft wide by 12"deep with slding lockable doors. My high dollor collector guns stay there, but once a year I get out and wipe down. I also have a non elec. de-humdifier in there that recharges by the Oven once a year. No rust so far.Rust damages me guns tht the nicks and bangups from putting the Valt.I'd like Room all to mysef, but $$$$ prohibts such now.Shoot-um-straight and often

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I do not have a gun room or anything but I start to drool at the idea of one. Although my gun collection has not grown that large to need a gun room, it still fits inside a safe. But I guess I drool more at the fact that you have enough guns to need a gun room. I wish I had that excuse working for me.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Florida Hunter:
I', 73+ ys old and bouht sold guns since I was abut 12 yrs old. Try to buy 2 a year if somethig come asong I like or think I would. As far as a gun room.We all got huntingjunk scattered ever where. With a gun room you can display yourmounts, guns, and such, storage bins for odds-end and your cloths,then you know wher to find them when season opens.My Den is a junk room so to speak, about l5 mounts and pictures, horns, guns, cabinet, Vault for 28 guns and some old tools. Never enough space. I don;t want all the guns made, just one of each. Build that game room while you young and can enjoy for years. To me room, the walls shold be out of wide old pine boards and the Floor of Oak boards to lay your tanned skins on. My Den is Oak paneling with ceiling beams,carpet on floor to match the walls. may have to swing some mounts from them if I continue to kill something nice. i also have a 6 ft long table ( 24" tall) with storage underneath table in front of the couch that my gun rach sits for me to work on guns, etc.Keep lots of cleaning supplies there plus scope screws, rings, bases and a assortment of small tools. plus a can of Rem oil and a wipe me down terry cloth to wipe guns when they handled Good luck with the game room..The salt in you finges/hand will rust a gun if not wipped of with oily rag. Did not plan to write a lot, but got carried away.Thats what happens to us old guys in our last years. Wish was going for Elk/Mulies in AM.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Well, I used to have a gun room......
Was a small room in the old house we had before the tornado (long story) hit us. It was about 8x10 and I assume it was originally a closet, not sure tho. Anyway, added a door, a 6 rifle stand, work bench and reloading bench in there, some shelves and lights. It was snug but very workable for reloading and repairs. The rack was for guns being worked on, had a display case outside of the room for storage. The room was upstairs so moisture wasn't a problem, until the roof went bye-bye.

Now, about 5 moves later, we are back in a house, small house but better than the 2 trailers and bumming with friends (lived in a tent for a while too) that we went thru after the tornado. I have a large bedroom with 2 tables setup for reloading and working on the guns, got brass, bullets, tumbler, presses, etc., stowed under the tables. Hunting clothes are stored in totes under the tables too. Gun Cabinet (Made by my Grandfather so it's special) survived all the chaos and sits next to the reloading table. Has WAY more guns stuffed into it than it was ever meant to hold! Was originally a 5 gun case, currently holding 15 including handguns. It's a real challenge getting them in and out safely.....

from zuikowarrior wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

One thought to add: If anyone builds something using an ordinary door, be sure to get the hinge pins welded to one side of the hinge barrels so the thief will have to work harder than just driving the pins out. . .

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who bangs their guns up getting them in and out of the vault. At this point I think it would be cheaper just to spend another $1000 and get another vault to spread them out a little.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Also never store guns in a plastic, vinyl, or leather case or holster. Store in a silicone impregnated Gun Sock or other breatheable case designed for storage. Most of the el cheapo cases are no good. The Gun Socks will prevent "safe rash", too.

Never ever never store guns in a clothes closet. Everytime you hang up clothes from the laundry, you are introducing moisture to a closed space with your firearms. Learned that one the hard way many years ago.

WMH

from luv2hunt wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

In our area, many homes have basements. I common thing in the newer homes is a large front porch with a "cold storage" room under the porch. When we moved into our new home, I immediately went to work creating a "vault room". This has become the ultimate gun / reloading / panic room that many of my friends are now copying. It is solid concrete on all four walls, floor, and ceiling. It hung drywall on the ceiling and walls and carpeted the floor. It has plenty of lights and electrical outlets. I built in tons of storage cabinets and left room for my safe. I closed it all off with solid steel fireproof door with an electronic combination lock. The entrance is in our "storage" room and no one even knows it it there. It works great!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

I never show my good guns to anyone. My cheaper tradrt ones are in the glass dors of the cabinet. Never know when someone will tell who know's who what I got and come back when away an take what they want. Guns are a # 1 stolem item, as they easy to sell. I enter all the S#'s in a book along with photos of all my guns, just in case they do get stolen. Also carry a special insurance policy on them. Kinda costly, but one gun is worth more than the insurance cost. I'm looking for a new angled spotter. Sawa BSA and was cheap at about l20 bucks.Any you guys tried one? I got a Simmons 25 x 50 had for 25 ys, and is lousy. Returned to Simmons and they said was ok. But it's not, so looking for a home for it. Now when I get my EAA Baikal MP221 S x S in o6 will have all the guns I want, I think. But they got this gun on back order and will be some time before I get mine.Rem was suppose to hae ( they did) gotten this gun but they prised it too high and never sold. EAA told me they actually did not sell this Gun to Rem, but gave them the rights to sell in USA.Need another gun like a hole in my head, but at 73, I feel I'm entitled to what few things I yet want. Doubt it will be a Rocky Mtn gun, but should work ok here with small fields and thick woods.And, will have something none of my buddies haveor want. Me, Kinda like being a odd ball on some things and this surely will be one of those oddies.A beautiful gun, nice Walnut, looks like a 410 dble bbl but has a cheek piece, straight comb and front and rear sights, with a jack screw between the 2 bbls to adjust the left bbl to shot same as the right bbl. Started hunting yesterday, killed a huge ground hog in pasture behind my house with the 22 mag. @175 yds. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

First- stay out of the cellar. Too much humidity.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from p852pck wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from minigunner111 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Teodoro wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from dneaster3 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Guns in the basement rusted by water.
Guns upstairs burned by fire.
Guns in the safe damaged by other guns.

from jay wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Phil,

from John L wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Huh,

from Brian W. Thair wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Don't even think about it buddy.

Love,
Mrs. Beekeeper

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from horseman308 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from beanap wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

my closet is a big walk in.. although i need to get new gun racks

from MidMichHunter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Scott Kittinger wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I decided if I wasn't using them, why keep 'em and I've not regretted it @ all.

But, to each their own.

Jim

from p852pck wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

turned out the best thing I did.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

We have a tall case that is water tight and fire proof.

Nate

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

the house and paying for every thing else why ask permission?

Forgiveness is often easier to obtain than permission. {8^)

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Florida Hunter:

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Well, I used to have a gun room......

from zuikowarrior wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago