Bourjaily: Browning Shotguns Economic Stimulus Package

The Gun Nuts

August 21, 2009

Bourjaily: Browning Shotguns Economic Stimulus Package

By Phil Bourjaily

If your local gun stores are like mine, they now actually have AR 15s sitting in the racks, waiting for someone to buy them. Handguns, too. There are even a few rifle primers to be found. The buying frenzy that started in October is tapering off. Guns that never even made it to the shelf before someone bought them are sitting now.

Earlier this summer, I asked a friend of mine who works for a gun company if the boom – which was almost entirely ARs and handguns -- had helped sporting long gun sales at all. Not so much, he said, but added: “Dealers have sold so many ARs and handguns that they’ve all got some money. We’re hoping as fall comes, they will put some of that money back into building up their inventory of sporting arms.”

Well, here it is almost fall, and new hunting guns are showing up on dealer’s shelves so perhaps my friend was right.  Of course, people still have to buy them from the store.
And that brings us to Browning’s “Stimulus Package.” Here’s a link to the press release, which, if you click on the Odioigo logo, you can hear read aloud by a helpful machine that can’t pronounce “Cynergy”:

My question is two part: would a “stimulus check” rebate from a firearms manufacturer make you buy a gun, and, second, in these hard times, who out there has done his or her  bit for our consumer economy by buying a gun recently?

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

When the rush started for black rifles and gangsta slides I noticed that the prices on sporters went down, so I bought four firearms to the tune of some $3K in the last year.

Now that prices may drop on larger caliber semiautos I am looking at a personal defense firearm. Either something small and concealable like a ruger LCP or else just something big and reliable in a .45 Colt or .357 revolver.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

And yeah. A 20% rebate check on a decent revolver would probably get me out the door with one.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

They will have to pry my dead hands from my .44 Magnum,Smith & Wesson,clunker,before I get rid of it.

A nice 20% rebate may be more in-line,than any trade in.

Great idea!

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Stimulus check question -NO. I haven't seen anything I really want that I haven't already got or have had once.
The only thing on my want list is a double rifle. Don't think they're gonna subsidize any of those.

Consumer question - I did step up and buy my "one day I will go to Africa" rifle last year. I bought two nice custom .45's. Let's see, I bought the AR in my avatar (though it was on order long before Prez uRkeL was coronated)- and no I did not take an a$$ raping on it like so many others did. I sold a couple of others so the net was 2 guns last year. This year nothing so far.

from Bella wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

While I expect nothing in the way of "stimulus" checks, I have been thinking about that Houdah Pistol I have been drooling over for some time now... Dammit I need a 20 gauge double barreled smoothbore muzzleloading pistol capable of taking out raging 200 pound felines...Never know quite just what might come out of the swamp you know...
Besides it seems the perfect partner to my 1858 .44 Remington Hoglaig, see I've almost convinced myself!

from Mjenkins1 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Browning BPS here I come

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I bought a Weatherby 7mm Wby Mark V (used) from a gun shop earlier this year and all the reloading crap for it, so that was probably some trickle down stimulus since it came in on trade for an AR. Bought my lovely wife a new S&W Airweight Bodyguard. I beat the rush on ammo after the commodity price rise started jacking up ammo prices about a year + ago. I might buy myself a new trap gun if I am still working this time next year...

The way I look at it, gun nut consumers shot their wad on guns, ammo, primers, powder, bullets, and such after the Teleprompter shoo-in was inevitable last year. Even if the stores were completely restocked, there will be less spending on such until the economy really turns around and stability returns (if ever). Most of the sportsmen and sportswomen are working Joe's like myself who have suffered economically or are worried about their employment state of affairs and can barely afford their fall hunting trips, if at all. I know that I have cut a few corners on spending plans for the fall hunts I do.

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Bought a Benelli in February, though Canada didn't experience what the states did, probably because few of us are licensed to have AR's and handguns..

from MLH wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Part 1 ... maybe.

Part 2 ... I ordered a BPS 20 ga. the end of March. Just heard they are due here in September ... maybe October. Might get here before the end of grouse season.

from M1jhartman wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I've bought 6 guns since January ranging from a little 22 up to a pre-64 model 70 and an old Sterlingworth Pin Gun. One of the few advantages of being in the military is a constant payday and expendible cash (if your single). Oh, by the way shooters, my Weaver K6 scope bit the dust today after less than 300 rounds on a 30/06. Just a little more proof that good glass costs money.

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I ordered an AR in March of 2008, but didn't actually get it until this summer. Also bought a nice .243 win.

from bluegraytx wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Put me down for five firearms, two scopes, ammo, and accesories. I also attempted to purchase a so-called assault rifle,but after sending my final payment they couldn't find the rifle. Said it'd be at least 10 weeks for a replacement. I cancelled and went for some of the others.

from mattreney wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

im broke been buying a lot of ammo, bi-pod stuff like that plus had to pick up some stuff before i go back to school so no guns any time soon. i just bought a mossberg 500 12 guage last month

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Before the election I had 4 guns, now I have 12. Howsat for ya? NOBAMA has toe the the Firearm salesman of the year. (Most of what I bought however were Shotguns not AR's Dis by 2 S&W 686's one for me one for the wife. Hers is 4" bbl, Mine is 8 & 3/8th's ( Hers is the Plus though so I am outgunned but unafraid!) ;)

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Now I have an excuse to Buy a Citori though!!!!

from guncrazy74 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Already bought one gun this year... a Browning Cynergy for the love. Now there's another rebate. Oh well got a good deal at the start so not gonna gripe it wouldn't have made a difference. But I want a BPS for a conservation order goose gun so there ya go!! If I had one wish it would be ammo back on the shelves for a decent price. I saw a brick of 200 9 mil go for 95 bucks and the guys didn't argue they smiled and paid it. I built up lots of ammo over the yeas and everyone labeled me as a nut my how everyone has eaten some crow but I am not shooting as much sadly. If I was I couldn't afford to replace it. Still waiting for ammo here in Missouri.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I bought my “assault weapon” long before obummer was immaculated. Don’t really care for squirt guns, but looking at the possibility of a radical, anti-gun administration, I wanted more to cling to than my Bible and a bolt action. Picked up a couple of game getters (.25-06 and .22 LR) that were too good to pass up, and a nice .45 ACP for The Bookkeeper. Swapped off a 9 mm I didn’t care for, and managed to add a couple of nice wheel guns in .41 and .357 Mag. Also a good used Auto 5 12 gauge, but don't think it will qualify for any rebate. Maybe with the gun buying frenzy finally slacking off, there will be some more components on the dealer’s shelves, and I can get my surplus supply of empty brass filled up again.

from butterbean wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Would like to see some good discounts on bullets and primers hope the price drops back down on them. I have bought two new rifles in the last three months. The way I see it they are always a good investment, but a good 20% off sale always gets my juices flowing.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

1. possible

2. bought three guns since August 2008.
Mossberg 12 gauge 500 combo home defense
Remington 12 gauge 870 wife's gun
ruger mini 14 6.8mm truck gun

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

well, i already have a browning shotgun, and for me, one shotgun is enough. as a matter of fact, i had it in deep storage for 15 years. never shot it, basicly never even touched it except to pull it from the gunsafe occaisionally to make sure it wasn't rusting. two years ago, i pulled it out, cleaned it up, and went and shot some squirrels. did the same last year.i am sure i will do it agan this fall/winter. but squirrel is about all i hunt with a shotgun. so my use is limited. so rebate or not, i will not be buying another shotgun.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I have not seen the ARs sitting on the shelf yet. There are rifles, shotguns, some pistols (none as many as before Hussein). A little more ammo on the shelf for rifles and pistols. Lots of shotgun shells. What is really still missing is primers. If you can find them, they are priced high. Powder and bullets are up there in price too.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I ordered an ER Shaw all stainless bolt gun in 22-250 with heavy barrel for shooting prairie dogs. Also plan to buy a Burris Black Diamond 6.5-24X scope for the rifle. Looks like it will be ready in time for next summer.

from burnettjv wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

1. Probably.
2. Bought a Beretta AL 390 in 12 ga. last week. Can't wait for dove season to open up!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

crm3006

You are a man after my own heart! Me too! Cocked and locked and ready to rock!

I do have an AR and a high cap 9mm, but my several S&W wheelguns are my first choice for when it hits the fan

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter-
Wheelguns aren't helpless if you get a bad round. My assault weapon is one we both know and trust, the M1A! Locked and loaded.

from Evan Delp wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

time for me to buy a browning i guess

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

crm3006, I also got my AR-LH just before our illegitmate president was imaculated. Bought a case of ammo for it the day after. That, a great 30-06, a .45, 357 et al, are not leaving my property.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

nc30-06-
Sounds like you've got the Stag Arms LH AR. What kind of accuracy are you getting? I had a Bushmaster (on loan) for a while, but couldn't get the thing to put three in my hat @ 200 yds. Just curious.

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Doing my part. Just picked up a beautiful Verona 28 ga. O/U with 30" barrels, false sideplates and full coverage scroll engraving. Has nice wood too. I felt sorry for the man who had it,(a retiree who picks up nice guns and attends gun shows)and helped him out by buying it. At least that's my justification for acquiring this little gem. I've bought enough ammunition already to have done my part for the big gun/ammo dealers.
Michael

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

crm30-06. You are right. I got the Stag Arms LH AR. I have not done a lot of shooting with it as yet. I was initially doing the break in routine, shoot one, clean, shoot one, clean, for 10 rounds. What I have done has been pretty decent. I got so far, right at 2.6" at 90 yards with factory ammo. I have just loaded some Hornady 55 gr. VMAXs and will be chronoing and checking to see how it likes them. One thing is that my earlier factory ammo shots were done without any stabilization and no sling from the sitting position. That could have been some of the problem with the groups. I am also going to put some in the freezer to check for speed variation vs ambient temp. rounds speed. I will try to do this this week, schedule permitting. I will let you know the results on a later post if you want to check.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Ruger 44 Mag (used) and a little German made 22LR SAA revolver (also used) here, rest were more than a year ago, also stocked up on reloading supplies before Obammy got in office, I saw the shortages coming so I avoided the rush!
Got a couple rifles laying around in parts, got to get them fixed up soon, one's a Moisn-Nagant I started sporterizing years ago, other's a Winchester 72 I got in pieces, lots of pieces missing too, gotta try to get ahold of the missing parts and get it working again. Looks like a nice 22, altho bolt action and tube fed is a strange combo to me.

from yohan wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Interesting thought ,. not sure if that would do it.
Only because I normaly do pretty much the opposite of what the hurd does anyway .
IE: Purchased no guns in past 18 mo.
Well a couple 870 express scatter guns
20- 12 but their cheap and iyt was necessary yuk yuk.

Normally ,. with prices up I sell hold cash ,. prices down I move in ,. and I am,.. talking about guns.
Unless of course I become emotionally involved with a heart breaking Mauser 98 ,.. and cant part with that .
Pretty sure done buying guns that cost as much as the most recent rifle of interest ,. I think.
But all ways wanted a side by side double 8 x 57js regulated to 100 yds ,.. as of yet have not talked my self completly out of that.
20% rebate however on any gun would probabaly get my attention.

More conservative as to purchasing habits (necessary or discresionary) mostly cause "I got enough stuff"
but 20% ? ,. Thats a thought
Especially if it mighht be on loading components.
At the right price $500 -$1000 in that venue always a good move.

from sarg wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Things are picking up here, our local store got 8 boxes of .380 autos in. couldn't find any for quite a while.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

i haven't bought a gun in about 2 yrs but i'm watching the classifieds and weindow shopping. just a matter of time.

from jtboles wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

If a big gun company would send me a stimulus check I would go and buy a gun or 3 my wife is wanting a new shotgun anyway. As for the second question I have bought a gun recently it's a savage 17hmr.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I bought a S&W1911PD with some beautiful stag grips at a gun show yesterday well because the guy was giving it away and not buying it would have haunted me. I did have one Obama purchase last Nov that was a XD45, in my defense I had been pining over one for some time. Luckily I built an AR before the rush but just like the ones I owned previously it sits idly not being taken to the range often. I also picked up a Bennelli during duck season. That had more to due with me being tired of a pump though. As a good friend of mine always told me "this is America and I ain't time to pump a shotgun." As far as Browning is concerned I will be interested when they rebate a Buckmark. I know its already affordable but 20 bucks off would push me over the edge to upgrade from the camper to a Hunter or a URX target.

from MidMichHunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

If there were a 20% stimulus rebate on long guns, sure, I'd buy another. I've been wanting a Marlin Lever Action in either Marlin 308 or 45-70 for a while now, so getting 20% back would seal the deal. What I really want is a WWII dates Gerand, ya think there will be a rebate on them? As for ARs, got 'em, and only want an AR10 now. Probably a LaRue OSR, but need the $2500 for it and don't think they'll be a rebate on them...

Have I been helping the economy over the past year? Yup, but been buying mostly used stuff from people that need to sell stuff. SO my help goes directly to the people in need, not the gov't to doll out as they see fit, of course after taking their cut.

from Blackwidow wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Automatic Rifles? Stimulous packages? I have one for you. The government just gave out money for cars and now they are talking about refrigerators. Hey how about some flash money for Deer Hunters and rifles? Bet we wont see that one coming?

The Black Widow

from Scott Kittinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Money in my pocket, regardless if it comes from a "stimulus check" or my own hard work, is always good. Chances of me buying a gun with said money...excellent. Looking for a nice, clean Sendero in .300 Win. mag. I had one in the '90s and have regretted trading it ever since I did it. Or a nice 20 ga. auto for my wife. Great idea, Phil.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Recent purchases,
2 S&W 686's
1 CZ Bobwhite
1 Remington SPR310 ( Shot a very good round of skeet within an hour) ;
1 Marlin 336 w/scope

from Bella wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I gone and done it, I ordered the Howdah pistol and it out- to get here in a week or so. I saw a guy on Youtube shooting one and it convinced me entirely. It should be a real blast from the past! When it comes I will post my evaluation, it looks like such a USEFUL toy. I ordered the 20 gauge ball mold as well, but not the holster. I tend to like to craft my own gun leather. The Bandelero holster (for my 1858 Remmi) I'm wearing in the icon pic is one of my ideas. It holds that big pistol real nice, quick on the cross draw, with no weight on my hip. It is getting tough to get nice leather for making stuff these days though.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

To tell the truth a stimulis package would make me think twice about buying a gun. Before, it was sure "hell-no" answer due to lack of funds and such. Decreasing the price of a gun would definitely help everybody out during these hard times.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

A nice 20% rebate may be more in-line,than any trade in.

Great idea!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from M1jhartman wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from bluegraytx wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from mattreney wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from butterbean wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

crm3006

You are a man after my own heart! Me too! Cocked and locked and ready to rock!

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter-

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

nc30-06-

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from yohan wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Interesting thought ,. not sure if that would do it.
IE: Purchased no guns in past 18 mo.
Well a couple 870 express scatter guns
20- 12 but their cheap and iyt was necessary yuk yuk.

20% rebate however on any gun would probabaly get my attention.

but 20% ? ,. Thats a thought
Especially if it mighht be on loading components.
At the right price $500 -$1000 in that venue always a good move.

from MidMichHunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Mjenkins1 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Browning BPS here I come

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Part 1 ... maybe.

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from guncrazy74 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

1. possible

2. bought three guns since August 2008.
Mossberg 12 gauge 500 combo home defense

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Blackwidow wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

The Black Widow

from Scott Kittinger wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Now I have an excuse to Buy a Citori though!!!!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago