Bourjaily: Major Gunmakers Moving to Idaho?

The Gun Nuts

September 25, 2009

Bourjaily: Major Gunmakers Moving to Idaho?

By Phil Bourjaily

Here’s a good rumor to chew on. Will Idaho be home to one of our major gunmakers?  Much as South Dakota attracted gun and ammunition makers like Dakota, Black Hills, Corbon, A-Square and others, Idaho is actively courting the firearms industry. It is, after all, an extremely gun-friendly state, and it doesn’t hurt that it offers tremendous outdoor recreation as well.

Idaho is considering a new industrial park built specifically with gunmakers in mind, with possible features including – get this --  a mile-long underground range. According to this story, Idaho is competing with Tennesse and Texas for one particular maker about to change address – either Ruger, S&W or Remington – according to this story:

I have no inside knowledge of which of the three companies named is planning a move, so you are free to speculate. But think about it: your Model 700, your Model 77 or your Model 29 could come with the words “Made in Idaho” stamped on the barrel.

*   *  *

In a tangentially related story, one Idaho company has made the unusual decision to switch from making semiconductors to shotguns. Advanced Precision of Meridian, Idaho, having lost a big semiconductor client, is going into the shotgun business in partnership with Legacy Sports of Nevada, importer of Verona and Escort shotguns and Howa rifles.

According to Legacy CEO Gene Lumsden, Legacy will import half the parts from Turkish maker Hatsan, who makes Escort shotguns, with the other half being made in Idaho, where the guns will also be assembled.

There will be a pump first, then a semiauto, both geared to the LE/military market with the first guns to be made by November.

from jjas wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

It makes sense to me. With sprawl, the east is slowly becoming harder and harder to find places to shoot or hunt. I wouldn't be surprised if soon the major hunting tools east of the Mississippi will be Xbows and "adult" air rifles.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I hope they do...it would be nice if they looked north of Boise as well...Saw Mills have all closed down in North Central Idaho thanks to the economy, lots of skilled guys that know how to work, along with being outdoorsmen, and low cost of living, along with more public ground than any other place in the lower 48....

from steve182 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

sounds like a good fit

from Gritz wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Wow, just when I thought I had baught my last gun (an 870 for turkey) this spring, here is another adventure. If I could get a nice custom-like rifle, say, a 7mm-08 from someplace like Idaho I might just do it to say that I did. Nice.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

jjas, you're so right about us losing places to shoot & hunt. The places where I learned to shoot are now all suburban neighborhoods. I hope you're wrong about Xbows & air rifles, but it sure does seem like we're headed that way. P.S. I agree--Idaho would be a good location for gun makers.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

oh ive been thinking about a hatsan built "marine" 20 ga, and as far as i know theire the only ones making a stainless 12ga 3,5 inch semi.. if only remington was more inventive and coated theire 870`s ultimags with a coating making them "marine" id probably buy them, but this is known technology and not complicated at all. why the heck do the known firearms manufacturers provide us with crap when we want that extra edge???
im friggin dumbfounded.. only ruger makes truly stainless guns, so why the heck didnt they ever make a pump with a thumb safety in 12ga 3,5 inch marine??"???? i thinking a 9`shot pump 12 ga 3 inch is the closest im ever gonna get, and ive held off for 6-7 years now.. GIVE US WHAT WE WANT, NOT WHAT U WANNA GIVE US:P

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Gritz,
What is the old saying? "Be careful what you ask for, you may get it". Custom rifle maker supreme, John Bolliger is located in Pocatello, Idaho. He will be happy to craft a rifle for you, anywhere from $5000 to $40,0000. That is a chunk of change for a "huntin gun'.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Happy I have seen some of Johns work it pretty good. But this spring I lost a good friend who could absolutly build one of the most beatiful guns ever and that was Ike Ellis.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I have an idea for a gun, happy myles that would fit any hunt available in one single gun, and at precent costs could be massproduced and distributed wildly at less than 1500 dollars with a nifty profit for the manufactors. but ill never sell it to the highest bidder cos gunmanufacturers are scared of what change making one single gun that would fit any hunting style or species less than bear in one single massproduced weapon:P
with a proper payment i could hunt my entire life with just a representational cost to the manufacturer. kinda like michael kalashnikov:P
But theire too pussy to think new:P

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

idduckhntr
I proudly own a 375 H &H made by Ike Ellis ages ago. The rifle has has seen every inch of hard times and adventure around the world. It was the only rifle I fired on my first African safari, taking 20 odd animals big and small. An Alaskan Brown Bear in a snow storm. Most recently, the jungles of West Africa. It is an old friend.

Im so sorry to hear of Ike's passing. Another legend gone, but not forgotten.
Kindest Regards

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

happy, im almost sad to say my gun could possibly shoot the 375 ruger, meaning it would make your h&h a dinosaur, and thats cos i actually like the 375 h&h. it feeds flawlessly and isnt that bad a recoiling gun to shoot and can match the 3006 in balistics with much heavier bullets.. im really considering a zastava 375 h&h for moose works and future possibilities:P and since its a basement price gun based on the m98 action id get the delux version and have it properly pillar bedded, possibly do the job myself.. :P

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Where do I apply?

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I'd move to Idaho to look for a job in that market. Love that Idaho country. Get it going IDC!!

To what??? :P

from PbHead wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

My guess it's S&W making the move. Ruger has a plant in AZ, and Remington has pretty much moved to the Southeast. A six pack says Massachewsits won't understand why they want to leave.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

WELCOME,WELCOME,WELCOME!!Gun business is good business!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

And funnily enough one of my mentors about my idea told me there was no way american hunters could EVER embrace the idea of a one "do-it-all" guns. and personally i thought there has to be a couple of hundred thousands yoote hunters that would agree with u:P
But im just a fool from another country, what the hell do i know right????

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Your mentor was probly right.. What would I blow all my money on if I didn't have too many guns for every differnt thing I like doing.. I get the shakes if I don't make a purchase for too long.. haha..

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

7 1/4 pounds with a sling and an aimpoint on it and with as fast repeteability as a pump rifle, with bolt action precision or a semi shotgun with a 3+1 capacity???? say in honest u wouldnt want it whitetailhuntr.. say u wouldnt even want the possibility to have one:P:P:P ever??:P

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Makes sense to me, too!
Political means and urban junkies have changed the sporting World in most of East; Where rural areas exist politics are invading gun rights at an alarming rate.
I am seriously thinking about relocating out west just get away from all this "city living" tired of seeing ATMs, and Starbucks around every corner! I want to eat a steak at a "Mom-n-Pops" restaurant..and get to know my neighbors again!
Idaho sounds like a nice place to visit; Gun Friendly and open space to enjoy nature. Sounds real good to me!

from bnertney wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

If you want to know more about Idaho's Recreational Technology Sector take a look at the Idaho Commerce site http://www.commerce.idaho.gov/business/idahorectech.aspx.
Also a great video on why Buck Knives moved to Post Falls and recreation in the Clearwater County area of northern IDaho.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Key word

(A) Gun-friendly state!

I love it!!

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I'd venture that Remington is looking to get out of New York. They've been there for 193 years, but New York has gone crazy with taxes, and politics. President Obama has made no secret that he wants NY Governor David Patterson (D) to withdraw from the upcoming election, because Obama doesn't think Patterson can win it. Obama has stated he wants New York to be one of his forerunner states for his policies, and he needs one of his allies to be Governor in order to get it done. If I were a gunmaker there, I'd be looking for friendlier territory, too.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I wish Savage arms, Colt, Springfield Armory, Feradl Ammunition , S&W all would move to Virginia. That'd be awesome. We can't let all the gun manufactureres go to Idaho.
We're an open carry state and are mostly gun friendly.

We already have Parker Bows, Quality Archery Design and I'm sure other companies.

Buck Bomb is in Maryland. We need some gun and ammo guys here too.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Happy A friend of mine has 3 rifles built by Dean Zollingar in his gun shop the one that caught my eye the most was a 458 the only problem is its a little on the light side.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Idaho obviously still has some intelligent business and state/local level government leaders. There is a growing shortage of those around here.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

We need to locate all arms manufacturing to Montana and Idaho, that way when the fight starts, we'll have the guns!

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

This way when the Western states secede they'll have their own firearms makers. Way to go, Idaho!

from Wlfdg wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Bring them here. We have the space and the workforce for firearms manufacturing.
Idaho is truly the "Patron state of shootin'shit".

from semp wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Can ya get to Idaho from Vermont and keep your favorite toys? Not easy ... can't transport the side arms thru Canada or the Peoples Republics of Massachussetts and New York. Hmmm ... probably catch a tramp steamer outta New Hampshire or Maine. Then down the coast to at least North Carolina ... yeah that's the ticket. Ahhh, I really had no hope for the recent Federal Reciprocity legislation. Vermont is the most liberal of the States on handguns yet both our US Senators(one's a communist, the other wants to be Chuck Schummer) vote NAY? Idaho does seem a great place for sportsman. Don't advertise tooo much or you could become the next New Jersey.

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

well, i am no business manager, nor prophet. but in my tiny little brain, i would look at who is getting taxed to death, has an OLD manufacturing facility with many old machines, and that would be my prime candidtate for who wants to move. i do know that remington, with marlin and n.e.f./h&r in different locations, it really might be nice to consloidate all of the plants under one roof. it would be a big roof, but still should be cheaper to opperate three businesses in one place than in 3 seperate ones. plus tighter controls, an they would not have to have a satelite production/wuality management team to check on the offsite (from the parent plant, remington) company. to me, as a consumer, it really does not matter if my gun is made in new york, conneticut, new hampshire, idaho, or any other state (although with all the supposed guns going to mexico, why not move down to just this side of the border, they could drasticly improve their export business! LOL!), as long as it is made in the USA. i am sure that tax breaks will be part of the deal, and a 1 mile long tunnel would be a really nice thing, especially in winter. the sad part is many families will be broken up, or financialy in perril because of this. the ones that move with the company, will be thousands of miles from their loved ones, and the ones that dont, are going to have a HARD time finding a job in this economy.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Sounds like I better get moving to Idaho.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

LET"S GO!

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

If I may add something to my previous comment. Having these facilities in VA would put them within Eyesight and spitting distance of DC Since part of VA is in DC as well. Only the Potomac is its major border.

How much DC resident a$$ would that chap? And think of the revenue it would bring since textile factories lost defense contract yrs ago and the tobacco industry took huge hits thanks to anti tobacco campaigns.

Think of the Statement it would make as well.

from cliff68 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Seems like the perfect fit. Idaho is a beatiful state and gun friendly. I also think the people that would work there would do their best to put out a fine product. I for one would love to have a gun with Made in Idaho stamped on it. Just seems right.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Makes sense to me, too!

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

idduckhntr

Im so sorry to hear of Ike's passing. Another legend gone, but not forgotten.
Kindest Regards

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

WELCOME,WELCOME,WELCOME!!Gun business is good business!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Key word

(A) Gun-friendly state!

I love it!!

from jjas wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Gritz,

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Where do I apply?

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

But im just a fool from another country, what the hell do i know right????

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

sounds like a good fit

from Gritz wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

But theire too pussy to think new:P

To what??? :P

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

We're an open carry state and are mostly gun friendly.

Buck Bomb is in Maryland. We need some gun and ammo guys here too.

from Wlfdg wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Idaho is truly the "Patron state of shootin'shit".

from semp wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from bnertney wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Sounds like I better get moving to Idaho.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

LET"S GO!

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Think of the Statement it would make as well.

from cliff68 wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago