Bourjaily: One Expensive Pair of Christmas Tights

The Gun Nuts

December 23, 2009

Bourjaily: One Expensive Pair of Christmas Tights

By Phil Bourjaily

Last year, because I had been especially good, I gave myself a Benelli Montefeltro for Christmas. This year, my German shorthair Jed launched a pre-emptive strike on my Christmas budget, giving me a pair of my wife’s tights and a sock. Ordinarily, tights and a sock wouldn’t empty the Christmas nest egg. However, once the tights and sock have been eaten by a dog, then you have to pay to have them surgically removed from his stomach, the price goes way up.

So far, Jed has been a great little dog – affectionate, obedient, with excellent hunting instincts – but he has one huge flaw: he seeks out and eats Pam’s socks and gloves every chance he gets. Usually, they pass right through him, but when he found and bolted this unguarded pair of tights along with a random sock, they stuck in his stomach and lower intestine.

I hoped they would pass but they didn’t.  Jed lost weight and grew weak. Doing nothing would have killed him. Last Sunday I took him in to our local veterinary emergency room (Bright Eyes and Bushy Tails in Iowa City. They are wonderful). We couldn’t see the tights on the X-rays, but while the vet was looking him over, he tried to throw them up. One leg came out. I would have grabbed it and yanked it like a lawnmower cord, but the vet said that would have damaged his intestines. Instead, she cut off as much as possible, then said cheerfully, “Well, now we know where they are. It shouldn’t be hard to get the rest.”

Jed went through surgery fine, and I went to pick him up after he spent a day recuperating. The veterinary assistant told me what a good patient he had been, that he was not chewing at the line of staples in his stomach, and that the staff all loved him. She went to get Jed and came back without him a minute later. “Uh, he just ate the pad in the bottom of his cage,” she said. “We’re going to give him a mild sedative and induce vomiting.”

Jed successfully threw up the cushion and they brought him out to me.

“Why didn’t you put a zipper in his stomach for me instead of staples?” I asked.

Jed is home now and starting to regain some of the weight he lost. There’s even a slight chance we’ll be able to go hunting before the season ends January 10. Having almost lost him, that would be the best Christmas present I could ask for this year.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and remember that your health and well-being, and that of your family –  and even  of your pets – matters far more than whatever material gifts you might receive.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I don't know if this is the purpose of this article, or if i am just sick-minded, but I found myself laughing while reading this article. Everybody's dog has eaten something 'weird' at some point during your life.

I do, however, find it nice to hear a story of a respectful doctor who treats you like a patient and not just another scumhole paying his wages.

Nate

from Zyounghunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I once had a Gordon Setter that my parents had gotten at 15 weeks old. we (my then 5 year old sister) named him gabe short for the Archangel Gabriell. over the course of the three years he was with us he procceeded to eat many a tarp that we would put over his kennel in the summer. sadly we lost him. so your almost lost K9 friend pulls at my heart strings.
Merry Christmas to you and Jed

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Glad he's healing up fine; my dog prefers pens and markers, and so far (knock on wood) no harm, no foul. Merry Christmas to all the dog owners and their companions this year!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

"Our" golden retriever eats rocks, probably in an effort to gain IQ points. After one such episode, she was at the vet for a blockage and just minutes after arriving at the vet, she had an "explosive expulsion" that according to the vet tech "went wall to wall". I told my wife that if she gets another blockage due to rocks, RIP.

There is some deep rooted angst that causes some dogs to exhibit such behavior.

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Merry Christmas, Phil. Sounds like you should get a pet health insurance policy for Jed, or just set up a long term deal with the vet. Ate the pad in his cell ... I am in tears.

from Brittle wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

great artical my 8 month old hasnt gotten into alot maybe shoes,sticks,and gloves

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Get well Jed, and have a great Christmas, Dave. I hope you get the chance to go hunting while the season's still in. My dogs(pugs)will eat anything lying on the floor. I've caught one of them, Milo, with screws, paper, and a pennie in his mouth.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Ah, the mind of a dog. But we still love them anyway, don't we? Merry Christmas to all.

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Damn dogs. Can't believe they've survived as long as they have... but then, I expect they'd say the same about us humans.

Anyway, Merry Christmas Phil, Dave P., and to all the F&S team. Many a well-wasted hour has been spent enjoying these blogs over the past couple of years.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Timely post, as I have just discovered that The Bookkeeper's dachshund just ate the zipper pull off my goose-down vest. Sure am glad Jed is up and doing well, but the survival of the dachshund is still in deliberation....

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have read the above with some dread, since our puppy is nine weeks old. So far she has stuck to vegetation, mostly my herb garden. I have retrieved socks and shoes before damage as happened, but I fear I can not stay on guard so well for long. One of my childhood dogs would feast on my mothers freshly baked bread, or fried food(meatballs were his favorite) resting on brown paper right out of the pan.I also remember a decorated birthday-cake.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Dogs, it's a good thing we love 'em EH? Out Lhasa Apso ( Don't snicker its my wifes baby) got into a jar of bluberry jam once and had it all the house! BLUE "chit" everywhere. All we could do was laugh while giving her a much needed bath. Glad Jed is recovering.

from 3030forlife wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have a chocoalte lab that eats everything from wood to socks, normally she passes them after day or two. Last year she ate one and had to have the surgery, she has seemed to be less interested in eating socks now (after the surgery she still ate stuff for about half a year). So there is quite possibly a light at the end of the tunnel Mr. Bourjaily.

from tom warner wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hi dave: Great story. We've all had dogs that loved to eat really bizarre things. Glad it turned out well.
On a entirely unrelated subject, I emailed you a few days ago on a matter that might be of real interest to you, and it apparently could not be delivered. What am I doing wrong???

Tom

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

My first setter had an injury that caused him to have intestinal blockages upon eating any kind of bone. ...And the mutt constantly found something dead in the Uplands to gobble causing a blockage to be yanked out.

It pains me to think of how much the vet bills were on this dog even after 30-years.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

fortunatly my brittanies seem to only want to eat small stones from the driveway, cedar shavings from the dog house (which are no longer there anymore) and mostly their own poop. none of which has produced any vet trips yet.

from Sidewinder wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

So that's where my car keys keep going. Who knew?

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Great Story! Merry Christmas Phil and Jed! Oh, Phil keep the linen closet and laundry room doors closed!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Darn Dog!
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all!

from beers123 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

My lab/beagle who is now almost 9 has always and I mean always loved to eat my razors from the shower and all of my "girlfriends" underwear and just the middle of the them. She has never touched mine probably a good reason, but I wish I had all the money back that I have paid in female underwear.

from cindypiep wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

When I read this article it took me back to a time where
my husband was breaking me into pheasant hunting. We went to a game farm so I wouldnt get discouraged being a newbe. Our yellow lab, Mattie, a normally super hunter
wasnt working well, didnt even seem too interested.
We went home and all she did was lay around and wouldnt eat. Just before we took her to the vet she threw up.
She had eaten a LARGE satin band that I used to put my
hair in a pony tail. This too could have turned into a
huge vet bill, but she was fine. We are greatful for every day our dogs are with us..Merry Christmas to all
of you.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

two weeks ago i had to take Chaos, my lab to the vet because he stepped on something and cut his paw open. couldn't believe the 1000 dollar bill but he's worth that and more. the only thing is that his season is over because i can't risk him getting hurt again over a few birds. he'll be back next year. he's only two.
Merry Christmas all.

from jwallen wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I wonder if Caesar Milan or someone else that understands canine behavior would know what causes them to do this. A friend's dog ate his audio tape collection and when it passed I suggested that he try re-spooling it to see if it would still play. He didn't think much of that idea.

from mack wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hope your boy makes a full and fast recovery. Our bulldog (American bull) hasn't managed to ingest any clothes yet, but not for lack of thievery. Then again, she's only 4 months, so she has lots of time to try. In any case, very little sucks worse than having to dig a hole four one of our 4-footed buddies, glad it turned out well. As a side note, a co-worker had his year-or-so beagle take off for parts unknown on a bunny hunt 2 days ago, and has been looking like a madman for him since. Any prayers for a "Christmas present" for the guy would be much appreciated, he loves his dogs like children.

from kaanimal wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Phil, Merry Christmas!!! I'm glad Jed is doing fine. We all love those dang dogs! In the past year and a half I've lost my two big girls (Nellie Jean - 15, and Peggy Sue - 13) due to old age. It's rough even when you're expecting it. Devastating when they're young and you don't expect it. There's no better Christmas present than having everyone healthy! Pets included. Merry Christmas again.
I currently have 2 rat terriers, ages 1 & 3. They seem to be pretty good about not eating stuff. They chew alot, toys, rawhides, tennis balls, etc. but are good about not eating things that will hurt them. The pup "Petey" did earn the name "Cat Turd Pete" though.

To WA MtnHunter: I once had a golden retriever that also ate rocks. That damn dog! Funny sh*t!! He would lay in the yard and I would hear him crunchin' on something. I'd say, "What are you doin?" And he'd stop, with a look on his face like "nothing". When I turned my head a little bit, he'd spit the rock out the side of his mouth like I didn't see it and he got away with something! He earned the nickname Bonehead. He was always doing goofy stuff.
Dang ol' dogs! Gotta luv 'em!!
Merry Christmas Everybody!

from yohan wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Yup dogs are great better than some people ,.. Chessie,.was last dog I had,.. after 15 years damn near killed ME ,. to put him down ,.
Sooner do that to a couple people I know than a good dog.
Decided I couldnt do it again,. so the jury is stil out on another one .

That dog would walk right by a phesant didnt give a dam about a grouse,but ducks or geese were another matter.
Horny-est dog I ever saw too.
If there were strange women around, (finally figuired out it coinsided with "that time of month").
The dam fool would go to the master bedroom,(no other bedroom) .. rip the bead spread off it
( which were due to former wifee's taste usually high end expensive ones ) wad the dam thing up and hump the
"H" out of it,. all the while chewing a hole in it.
Ist time I saw that it was a mantal WTF ??!!
So I got him a lady ,.. but it didn;t natter
Dont know how many bed spreas he ruined ,. but I finally told my then wife ,.. either buy cheaper bedspreads or lock the master door ,.. if people other than immdiate family were in the house .

He was a little over 100lbs,.
Someone remind me to post the time he decided to try having "a date ".
With a diminutive blond woman he dragged off a rec room bar stool with his front paws
But now I gotta go
Senate did a good thing last light.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from elmer f. wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

pups (and they are all pups for the first two years) are terrible about eating everything / anything they can fit into their mouths. i know, been there a LOT! anyway, one of the best things you can do is invest in a bunch of rawhide chews. it really does help their insatiable desire to chew, and at the same time, it tires out their jaw muscles, and fills their stomach. also, you can buy a "KONG" chewy toy that will help, except it actualy has the advantage of not being eaten. they just chew on it. if you smear a little peanut butter inside of it, (it is hollow, just for this purpose) and then shake in a bit of kibble (then use your finger to press it into the peanut butter) the kibble will stay put and the dog will play with it for a long time. which, again, tires out his jaw muscles. i had an uncle, who fed his pups a 6-10" long chunk of 2x4 every day. that changed after one of his dogs decided it really liked the flavor of pine, and ate about 1/2 of the wood that was the back wall (and also part of his kennel) of the garage! that was a costly repair! not only did he have to repair the damage, he had to side the whole garage with aluminum to keep the dog from doing it again. also, butchers will be happy to give, or sell you at a very reasonable fee, many bones left over from butchering. the dogs will go crazy over them. but you want to give those to him in an area where he will not be dragging it up on the bed. the blood stains will surely ruin everything it comes in cntact with that is cloth. i had to have weeds cut out of one of my dogs belly. she ate enough of them that they formed a blockage, much like a birds nest. sometimes, you have to wonder what is going through their brains! LOL!
one last thing, i should mention. all that chewing, makes them need to go to the bathroom more. so if he is an inside dog, keep an eye open for what ever sign he gives you. or you will be cleaning up an unexpected / unwelcome "gift".

from BarkeyVA wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

We live along a tidal creek, and we had a Springer Spaniel, Bud, who loved to walk the bank at low tide searching for baseball-size and larger rocks. He would dig them out of the mud, carry them in his mouth up in the yard, play with them for awhile, and then go look for more. On one occasion he broke off an upper canine tooth that resulted in an abcess and a large bill for oral surgery. However, it did not diminish of his "fetish" for large rocks one bit.

from maitchbee wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

What a hoot! Reminds me of when my Black Lab was about 1 year old. He found and ate most of a very large box of Miracle Grow that I had in the garage. He barfed and pooped blue for a couple of days but otherwise no harm done. During his formative years he ate/chewed so much that he got the nickname 'the dog that ate the garage'. At around 2 1/2 years he miraculously came out of it and is a model dog now.

from blueridge wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Dogs are expensive. Hunting and shooting are expensive. Women are expensive. Christmas is, however, free. For once, we didn't have to provide something...it was provided for us. Love finds a way to pay for our beloved canines, wives and daughters, and the next firearm.

God is good. Merry Christmas, Phil, Merry Christmas, fellow Gun Nuts.

Blue

from Quahog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all !
This old-timer has learned a lot here over the past few years.

DOL

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Bourjaily, sounds like a typical Shorthair to me, LOL! Call it the terrible twosomes or what; they all go thru a period of chewing things up. I left my shed open one day and Gracie 8 months old went in and found my Mukluks and shredded them. A year later, Mary bought a real expensive pair of dress shoes for Church and Business and of course Grace dug one out of the box in the closet and made the right shoe into a open toe shoe. But don’t worry, they will eventually outgrow this, it’s been freezing outside and we have been letting Gracie stay in the house without any problems.

Be patient, it's worth it provided your wife doesn't shoot him :)

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

My GSH Pointer Jill likes pigskin chews and real bones. Dan dressed a deer last month and gave her the bones from a front leg to chew on and she ate the whole thing including the scapula. Those pointers must have powerful jaws to chew up a deer's leg bone and swallow it. She passed a chalky looking stool the next day.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

from Carney wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

God bless all of you who love your dogs even though I don't share your sentiment. I grew up in the city in a house with four cats and three dogs. We have determined in my own household that "life is just so much simpler without pets."

The kids joke that I'll probably get old and senile and show up some day with one of those little yappity rat dogs acting like it's my goo goo gah gah soul mate.

Whatever makes you happy I guess...

from mack wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

My buddy found his dog after 3 days of "wandering in the wilderness"...best Christmas present I think he ever got.I'd have paid to see both their faces...and I'm glad that when he comes back to work, he won't have that pall hanging over him. And blueridge had a helluva good post,by the bye.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Need a caption contest for this picture of Jed!

Don't worry Bourjaily, Jed will out grow his terrible twosomes some day!

Let's see to out grow the terrible twosomes, RiffRaff born in AK 2 years and Gracie 3 so there is hope.. YA"BUDDY! Hope you can believe in! Gee? Where did I hear that before??

from shermanator wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Great story i am happy that Jed is alive but it brings me back to my dog he use to chew everything he never ate anything but just chewed and chewed well after alot of work i got him to stop chewing everything and now all he chews is bones and wood which so far after how many pieces of wood he tears apart hasn't done anything to him

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I think Jed is giving you a MAD look!

from green pond mike wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I agree with clay, those short haired hunting dogs are a mess when they're young, but they usually mature rather nicely. Happy new year to you Phill and everyone else.

from SD Bob wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

As I read this, my 5 year old lab, Biscuit(nickname of Bad Puppy!), contently sleeps besides me on the couch. Memories that are humurous now, but not so at the time, are being retold by people who've never met her or me! She's over the chew stage except for the gifts the cat leaves in the litter box and the pheasants that hold a little to much.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

We have Corgies who like to steal and chew up sox and underwear from the laundry. (not sure which one as they haven't been caught in the act yet....) and a Rottie that likes to eat the back porch 4x4 supports and rocks and bricks, actually chews them up first though, I'm amazed she still has any teeth left........

My wife's brother had a Lab that ate a boxful of model decals, a day later they found a pile of poop with an STP decal on it!

My English Setter also liked to eat her cedar shavings.... Try Pine Shavings, she didn't eat them.

from semp wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

For the past month I have been boarding my daughter's 'who knows what ... mixed breed ' pup. So far it's cost me 2 hats, a scarf, two gloves(right hand only) and a boot. All I may find come Spring. But for now they sleep with the bears under Vermont's 4 month long snowpack :-D .

from the captain wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Let's see, as puppies my Brittany Spaniels have eaten dog pillows, shotgun shells, a bag of elk jerky I spent all night smoking, a one pound block of cheese (too much cheese does the same things in humans and dogs), multiple articles of clothing, rocks, poop, the rails to my deck, the neighborhood kids' icecream, baby toys and a cotton-tail rabbit that got into our backyard.
They mellowed out at about two years... thank God, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Best cure I've found to teach my Shorthair to stay off the bed, sofa and most of all and she just loves sleeping in my recliner is small mouse traps! All it takes is one snap, LOL!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

The more I look at Jed, the more evil eyed he looks. I wonder what is going thru his head? Perhaps chewing on Bourjaily fancy over & under starting with the Limbsaver recoil/kick pad and work his way up like a beaver to the forearm. But he knows better than to do that, guess you can say that would be the last act of defiance!

from blueridge wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

God is good. Merry Christmas, Phil, Merry Christmas, fellow Gun Nuts.

Blue

from 60256 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Nate

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

There is some deep rooted angst that causes some dogs to exhibit such behavior.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Brittle wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Darn Dog!
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all!

from cindypiep wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

When I read this article it took me back to a time where
wasnt working well, didnt even seem too interested.
She had eaten a LARGE satin band that I used to put my
hair in a pony tail. This too could have turned into a
of you.

from jwallen wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from kaanimal wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Dang ol' dogs! Gotta luv 'em!!
Merry Christmas Everybody!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

from Carney wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Whatever makes you happy I guess...

from Zyounghunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Merry Christmas to you and Jed

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from 3030forlife wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from tom warner wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Tom

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Sidewinder wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

So that's where my car keys keep going. Who knew?

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from beers123 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Merry Christmas all.

from mack wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from BarkeyVA wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from maitchbee wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Quahog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all !
This old-timer has learned a lot here over the past few years.

DOL

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Be patient, it's worth it provided your wife doesn't shoot him :)

from mack wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Need a caption contest for this picture of Jed!

Don't worry Bourjaily, Jed will out grow his terrible twosomes some day!

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from semp wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from shermanator wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I think Jed is giving you a MAD look!

from green pond mike wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from SD Bob wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from the captain wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from yohan wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Sooner do that to a couple people I know than a good dog.
Decided I couldnt do it again,. so the jury is stil out on another one .

Horny-est dog I ever saw too.
"H" out of it,. all the while chewing a hole in it.
Ist time I saw that it was a mantal WTF ??!!
So I got him a lady ,.. but it didn;t natter

He was a little over 100lbs,.
Someone remind me to post the time he decided to try having "a date ".
But now I gotta go
Senate did a good thing last light.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report