Die Grosste Zeiss (The Biggest Zeiss)

The Gun Nuts

March 30, 2010

Die Grosste Zeiss (The Biggest Zeiss)

By David E. Petzal

In between ogling booth babes at the SHOT Show, you may have noticed me groping a monster Zeiss riflescope whose designation is Victory FL Diavari 6X-24Xx72 T*FL. It’s designed as the ultimate tactical/varmint/predator scope, and incorporates every optical refinement that Zeiss can muster. This Zeiss is big, heavy, and expensive. Its real world price hovers right around $4,000.

To test it, I put it up against the nearest equivalent scopes I had on hand, which consisted of a Zeiss Diavari 6X-24Xx56, two high quality tactical scope with 30mm tubes and 56mm objectives, and, just for s**ts and giggles, the 2.5X-10X Trijicon** that sits on my beanfield rifle. At $800, it was the least expensive scope involved.

I tested the Zeiss by mounting it on a rifle and seeing how it moved  bullets. It did so to perfection; its adjustments are a paragon of Prussian precision. The real test came by sighting each scope on a target, starting at full daylight, and progressing through complete darkness.

Now at this point, you’re hoping I’ll tell you that this $4,000 scope was only a little bit better than the $1,000 tactical scopes, but such was not the case. The truth is that it is in a class by itself, and its only real competition was the other Zeiss. It has a huge field of view, is astonishingly bright, and, most important, is the sharpest scope I’ve ever seen at high power. At 24X, in near darkness, at 100 yards, you can aim at a circle about the diameter of a pencil eraser.

Because the scope’s tube is 34 millimeter, Zeiss supplies you with a set of very good rings to fit this unique size. The rings work with a Picatinny rail, and tighten with a pair of dome-head screws. When you mount your new scope, get them screws tight, because its godless weight puts an awful strain on the mounts. You need a socket wrench, and Loc-Tite is not a bad idea.

I don’t think Zeiss is going to sell a lot of these, because there aren’t that many people with four grand to spend on a scope. But they are going to sell every one they make. There is nothing else like it.

** The Trijicon did astonishingly well, even against much more expensive competition. For $800 it is some scope.

--------

And now a couple of unrelated matters. First: I perceive that by showing a  photo of Nancy Pelosi I have overstepped the limits of good taste. You have my promise that we will not show any more women unless they are at least the equivalent of Ms. Elisha Cuthbert.

Second: this past Sunday I was at a shoot where one of the teams participating was from the United States Military Academy. Meeting West Pointers always makes me think that if we can still produce people like this, there may be some hope after all.

from Harold wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave, with a bell like that on the front lens, how high does that scope have to be mounted???

from Mjenkins1 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave this was a very diverse post for one day, but interesting none the less. And no, I will not be purchasing one of these scopes....

from jjas wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Petzal...maybe I'll put on of those ginormous Zeiss scopes on my Mossberg slug gun.....LOL....

BTW, thanks for the photo of Ms. Cuthbert. She brightened my day!

from MJC wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal,

I'm slowly moving into the world of scopes. I learned to shoot with ironsights and a stint in the USMC did nothing to change that. (This was 15ish years ago and ironsights were still the norm.)

How do you recommend we evaluate scopes? Especially given that most of us will have to purchase a scope before actually getting to mount it on a rifle.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave, The scope and Miss Cuthbert are both outstanding. However I'm sticking with Bushnell, Leupold and the gal that has stuck with me the last 36 years and counting. Those are nice to look at though!

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,

"You have my promise that we will not show any more women unless they are at least the equivalent of Ms. Elisha Cuthbert"? Is there any such thing? I thought she was THE official Gun Nut Babe...

from Douglas wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I liked the scope of this post. Is that 10 mile hunter orange Ms. Cuthbert is wearing?

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

To Harold: Pretty high. I had it on a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter with a #2 contour barrel and there were no problems. I think most Picatinny bases will get it up in the air far enough that there won't be a problem.

To MJC: Figure out how much you want to spend, how much power you want, what kind of reticle, and which features, and then go buy something. There are fine scopes selling from $260 (Redfield) to way over $1,000.

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I believe Ms. Cuthbert is the perfect model for this scope. She embodies everything this scope is. Very attractive, but I could never afford it.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

There was a scope in this blog? Where?

from MLH wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Tausend Danke! I haven't been able to scroll down the F&S page since you posted that pic of the name that should not be spoken.

A 72mm objective ... that's a big chunk of glass. Would I get one if I could afford it and had the need? You bet.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

you won't see me with one of those scopes because i will never be able to afford it. nice though. as far as the pelosi pic goes, the image of that frightful old hag has been burned into my brain since then, causing much loss of sleep and irritabilty. the pic of miss cuthbert has given me new hope to venture out into the world again. you have redeemed yourself sir!

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

A 4K that is not a scope it is an optical instrument. Glad the boys down this way can't afford 4K for a rifle scope. That thing would make the spotlight obsolete!

Oh, and thanks for providing a thoughtful distraction from today's aggrevations...

from JW7MM-08 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Holy Moses! If I had an extra 4 grand I would buy it just to say Ive got it. Ive considered buying one of the 3x9 Zeiss has marked down to $399, thats prob the cheapest they will ever be. Anyone got one? How do they measure up to a VXIII in 3.5x10?

from RileyDog13 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Berlin will riot learning Petzal credited the crftsmen of Baden-W├╝rttemberg with Prussian precision.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Befo da WAH Zeiss was Made in Jena Prussia so I don't think the "Jelly Donuts" "AMI" slang for Berliners, which they are also named will object too strenuously .

BTW Ms Cuthber is in a class by herself, (Just below Ann Margret when she was young).

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Cuthbert*

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I think I will get the cheaper Zeiss, Have those lenses on My HasselBlad Camera, and they are a class by themselves too.

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

There is absolutely no comparison between the Zeiss conquest and the Leupold vx3. I bought one last year and it is hands down the best optical value in america. I have plenty of Leupold and I wish I could afford to trade them all for Zeiss glass.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
Indeed Sir, by profaning these hallowed pages with a picture of San Fran Nan, the antithesis of everything beautiful and dear to the heart of Gun Nuts, you overstepped, nay leaped far beyond, the bounds of good taste. You may therefore attempt to redeem yourself in the eyes of everyone by posting more pictures of Ms. Cuthbert, Ms. Kunis, etc.
Die Grosste Zeiss is not a bad looking item, either, however, I think it is probably more scope than I need for my future purchase of a certain J. Rigby double in .470 NE.
Your thoughts?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Beekeeper

I see the "import models" were sufficient to raise you from the midst of the dead! LOL

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WMH,

The Phoenix seems to be a popular bird here abouts...

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Merely stating what most other folks think or say, the biggest Zeiss is generally more scope than any of us need. No doubt the optics are superior but what a pain to lug up the mountain. I think my horse might even finally complain about this one. Is it worth the price? That depends upon the guy who wants it. Lesser priced scopes function quite well such as NF, Leupold, Swarovski, Leica, Burris, etc. in all hunting situations.
Indeed Elisha is as elegant as ever and always a delight to visualize even without the aid of a big Zeiss. Some of us have to go through life with only a small Zeiss.
Insofar as the cadets, the son of my best friend is in his third year at the Air Force Academy. There is no finer young man in this country than Hal. He is majoring in engineering, is a straight A student, and surperb athlete. His girlfriend is much the same and is a cadet in his class. These young people comprise a portion of the group who will hopefully lead tomorrow's America.

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,
Thank you for hastening my recovery from the visual impact of Ms. Pelosi. I feared the worst. As hourglass figures go, both the Zeiss scope and Ms. Cuthbert are a dramatic improvement. I doubt I will ever have room in my budget for the Zeiss Victory, and I know I won't enjoy any more than a photograph of Ms. Cuthbert, but I'd say you've redeemed yourself for your momentary lapse of good taste.
Good shooting,
Ed

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Edward J.,
Had to give you a +, my eyes are still burning from the 'she devil' pic.
Dave I'll bet this scope does reasonably well in deutschland. But not here is my guess.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave, I know you like Bushnell scopes so click my name and look lower right then click to enlarge the newest photo. There are 7 powerbelt bullets in that group fired from a CVA Wolf ML rifle with a Bushnell Banner 4X scope donated by Happy Myles. The charge was 2-50 grain white hot pellets and the range was 100 yards. Bet you could buy a sack full of Banners for 4 grand.

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

sound like a good scope

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Welcome BACK to fold Dave...sounds like a nice scope, too. How many of these $4000 scope to they make, and are they difficult to find?

from focusfront wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

If I was a shooter on a counterterrorism sniper unit in an urban area, that's the scope I'd want, and you can get it for less than the price of a toilet seat on the Space Shuttle!

from Ed J wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WAM, The scope is a little above the orange dear.

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Jim in Mo,
I was concerned about retinal damage and surprised that Dave would subject us to that level of risk, fearful that Dave had gone over to the "Dark Side", but I kept my lunch down and kept faith in Dave's elevated taste...and my trust was rewarded. Now, if only we can put this remarkable Zeiss glassware in the same frame as Ms. Cuthbert, we could get some sense of scale, some better perspective on how large those (lenses) really are. The photo of Pelosi is now a blurry, distant memory and the more I study the two photos above, the blurrier Pelosi's photo becomes.
I lived in southern California for 25 years. The changes in the political priorities and business environment were part of what drove me out of the state. I continue to regard Pelosi, Feinstein and similar creatures as anathema to any honest citizen with an interest or involvement with firearms.
Ed

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Ed J

Thank you, sir. NOW I see the scope. No need for NVG with that thing!

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

dave, does miss cuthbert know who her biggest fans are?

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

$4000.00 for a scope. man, that is a LOT of moolah! for that price, it SHOULD be in a class all by itself. even if i could afford one, i dont really know how i could justify one. my guess is they make it for those with cubic dollars, that have to have the absoloute best, even if they could never use it to 1/2 of its capability. which is pretty sad. kind of like having a lamborghini countach, and driving back and fourth to the grocery store with it at 30 mph. oh well, i guess it makes someones house payments.

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I've salivated over the thought of owning that very scope many times. I have three Zeiss Conquest 2.5x50 on three rifles and they are by far the best, brightest scopes I've ever owned. I can only imagine how wonderful this scope is.

Speaking of salivating... Elisha Cuthbert...mmmmmmmm.

from sskbkrdg wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

If I had an extra 4 grand I didn't know what to do with, I'd be talking to Miss Cuthbert, not Zeiss....

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

sskbkrdg,
Spoken like a true man.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

You might get her autograph for $4K. LOL

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

"I perceive that by showing a photo of Nancy Pelosi I have overstepped the limits of good taste."

You did not overstep the limits, you leaped into the next county past good taste!

Please, if you ever feel the need to post something like that again could you simply post a link to it? Preferably with a warning and disclaimer before it?

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I'm still confused how you can get that scope mounted low enough to be able to shoot it. I must have missed something along the way.

from yoteehunter wrote 4 years 1 week ago

very few scopes can you put prescion and durable in the same sentence and night force is one of them....with fully illuminated cross hairs and more moa adjustment than most other brands .....once you have used the best you will sell the rest...

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,
Good shooting,
Ed

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Jim in Mo,
Ed

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Beekeeper

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
Your thoughts?

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

dave, does miss cuthbert know who her biggest fans are?

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

There was a scope in this blog? Where?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Ed J

Thank you, sir. NOW I see the scope. No need for NVG with that thing!

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WMH,

The Phoenix seems to be a popular bird here abouts...

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

BTW, thanks for the photo of Ms. Cuthbert. She brightened my day!

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Harold wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Edward J.,
Had to give you a +, my eyes are still burning from the 'she devil' pic.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Ed J wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

WAM, The scope is a little above the orange dear.

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Speaking of salivating... Elisha Cuthbert...mmmmmmmm.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago