Meopta: A Reality Czech on Scope Values

The Gun Nuts

February 28, 2012

Meopta: A Reality Czech on Scope Values

By David E. Petzal

As many of you requested, I walked the hallowed (and semi-ventilated) halls of the 2012 SHOT Show with your requests for inexpensive stuff ringing in my ears, instead of just the usual ringing. Riflescope-wise, the standout is Meopta, which I originally thought was an Asian firm, but turns out to be Czech. Meopta has been around for over 70 years and makes rifle scopes, spotting scopes, and binoculars. I’ve used only the rifle scopes, of which there are two lines. MeoStar (pictured here) is the more expensive, made and assembled in the Czech Republic, while MeoPro scopes have their components made abroad and assembled here. Cabela’s sells both MeoPro instruments and its own Euro brand, which is made by Meopta.

The first time I used a Meopta rifle scope I guessed its price was $300 higher than what it actually cost. Think of it this way: A MeoStar that goes for $650 is a $1,000 scope on which you’re getting a $350 discount. A MeoPro scope that sells for $450 is a $750 scope, ditto ditto. Don’t let the modest prices fool you; these are very, very high-grade instruments.

Last summer, Kenny Jarrett, who is as knowledgeable and as fussy about scopes as any human I know, said: “If you can’t afford a [Here he named a very famous and very costly scope.] get a Meopta.” He was absolutely right.

Why isn’t the line better known? Reinhard Seipp, who is COO of Meopta USA said, “We’re not very good at publicizing ourselves.” Then he paused and smiled. “But we’re very good at making things.”

from MJC wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I was wondering who made Cabela's Euro scopes. They look very impressive. Thanks.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Any information or experience regarding standing up to recoil and/or other abuse? Looking for a low-power scope for a .375 H & H.

from TED FORD wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Wonder how it might perform in outer space.Most of my other questions have been answered in that regard.

from pbshooter1217 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Seems a lot like CZ firearms, relatively low cost for something that should cost several hundred more.

from dneaster3 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

@pbshooter1217, my thoughts exactly. CZ's are not the best weapon out there, but they are usually the best weapon for the price. A $700 CZ rifle is the equivalent of a $900 RemBrownWinVage of like caliber and accouterments.

from Bucktweet wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I own three of the Meostar 3x12x56. Here in South Carolina, except for the rut, 9 times out of 10 the only time you'll see the Buck you're looking for is sunrise or sunset. How much light a scope will bring in is of the utmost importance here. These Meopta's bring in as much light as any scope I've seen.

I got my first one about three years ago and out it on my 280. After I acquired a 30-06 and a 7 Mag it was a no-brainer what scope to put on them.

I have been more than happy with Meopta

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I feel the same way about the Burris Signature Select scopes. Perhaps not the absolute best rifle scope in the world, but certainly a premier optic and better than 90% of the scopes out there costing more $$$. Perhaps the best bang for teh buck in scopes. Too bad Burris is consolidating their product line to more entry-mid level scopes and only a couple high end models.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

My budget is, unfortunately, more the <$100 WalMart offerings type.....

from Shootstir wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Leave it to Petzal to throw down the gauntlet of comparison only to NOT pick it up and answer the basic questions shown above.....c'mon, Dave. You can do better than that. Quit teasing us! ;-)

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Well, if Herr Seipp says, “We’re not very good at publicizing ourselves.”, he better get an effective marketing strategy or be resigned to making things very well for others to reap the better sales margins. A business model doomed as in hitched to someone else's wagon. Kahles is a fine example.

from ghgoodwin wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I picked up a Meostar 3x12x56 this year for hunting season, best scope i have ever owned,low light performance is first class. Only brand i will buy now. Compares to a Zeiss Diavari of the same power and size.

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Meopta makes some of the glass for Ziess Conquest line. (Or so I've been told from reputable peeps)

I'm thinking the same thing here as WAM. Who in their right mind even says something along the lines of that? Crap give me a year with them and Meopta would be a known brand worldwide.

from Hornd wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Any opinions on the newer Chinese made, Leupold owned, Redfields? I try to judge solely on performance' and not origin. Weatherby Vanguard S2 might be a good example.

from juanjo322 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I was skeptical at first, I ordered my Meopta Meostart R1 3x12x56 4c dot and have been very pleased with it. I have a Swaro z6 2-12 and it stays home most of the time.. Highly recommend them.

from Mr_Hunter wrote 16 weeks 6 days ago

I had the pleasure of trying this Meopta scope last spring. A VERY precise scope and a good addition to your rifle. Only downside is that is a little pricy. That said its GOOD value, easily outperforms my other lepould. Not a well known scope in amercia but will think will start becoming more popular www.bestriflescopereview.net

from pbshooter1217 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from MJC wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from TED FORD wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from dneaster3 wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from Mr_Hunter wrote 16 weeks 6 days ago

from Oryx wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from Bucktweet wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I have been more than happy with Meopta

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

My budget is, unfortunately, more the <$100 WalMart offerings type.....

from Shootstir wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago