Bourjaily: "Candid Camera," Iraqi Style

The Gun Nuts

September 16, 2010

Bourjaily: "Candid Camera," Iraqi Style

By Phil Bourjaily

Here’s the brilliant concept behind the hit Iraqi reality TV series “Put Him in Bucca:” take a celebrity, slip a bomb into his car, then trick him into driving through a checkpoint manned by actors posing as sentries. Hidden cameras capture the whole thing. Basically, it’s “Candid Camera” at gunpoint.

If you think I am making this up, click here.

Given that most of our reality shows are imports --“Big Brother” from the Netherlands; “Survivor” from Sweden; “ American Idol” from England -- would an American version of “Put Him in Bucca” (Camp Bucca is a maximum security prison) be too much to hope for? Our most annoying celebrities – I’m thinking Paris Hilton for the first show -- could be set up. Actors potraying TSA personnel might be involved. Maybe in our version the tasers could be real. The possibilities are intriguing. Feel free to ad some ideas...

from Bioboy wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Actually this sounds like an off shoot of the show Punk'd that used to be on MTV. It had a bit more variety to the pranks but it was the same pranking celebrities concept. so we might not see the idea come back to us

from 007 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Sort of reminded me of this, "Survivor, WV Style".

Due to the popularity of the Survivor shows, we're planning to do our own show entitled 'Survivor: West Virginia Style.'

The contestants will start in Wheeling ; travel down to New Martinsville and on to Parkersburg . From there they will head over to Ripley and Odessa and Summersville. They will then proceed south to Fayetteville , Beckley then west through Pineville, Williamson, Logan, Charleston and back to Wheeling ..

Each will be driving a pink Volvo with New Jersey license plates and large bumper stickers that read:

'I'm Gay'
'NASCAR Sucks'
'Go Pitt'
'Copenhagen is for Idiots'
'Deer Hunting is Murder'
'Say No to Budweiser'
'I'm Here to Confiscate Your Guns.'
'Go Michigan'

The first one to make it back to Wheeling alive wins.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

007, Sounds like a hell of a show! I think Sean Penn, and Danny Glover should be the first drivers!

By the way are you from the Wheeling and Parkersburg area? My dad grew up there and still has the majority of his family living there.

from Amflyer wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Umm, I think I'm back to supporting waterboarding.

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

007-
You could be a producer! WOW!
I know where you can get your contestants ... Let's get ALL of the spammers who post on this site to get behind the drivers wheel!

from 007 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Dcast, Hardy county, edge of the eastern panhandle, give Mr's Penn and Glover a call, tell them 2Poppa and I are having a casting call. haha

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

007, you need to watch more "Top Gear" they sent a couple of brits to the US, had them buy cheap cars and got sent through the south. At one point, they were given a challenge to write something on each others cars that would get them harassed.....if you will. Nascar sucks was on one of them and man boy love on another and it got a bunch of folks attention and almost got ugly a few times.

I'll say those Iraqis have a sick sense of humor given their situation over there with the roadside bombers and such.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The show sounds disgusting. People die from bombs over there everyday.

I like 007's idea. Maybe dress Sean Penn up as an ATF agent and let him walk the back roads.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Tow-ja you guys wuz SICK!!!!

Bubba
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahachuckleteeheeguffawhahahahahahahahahaha

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like a lot of things could go wrong on a show like that. Of course, I never cared for Punk'd when it was on television either.

from jay wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I don't find this idea very entertaining...acutally I find it disgusting.

What do you think the mother's and father's of service men who have died in the line of battle by IED's would think of this show?

from Modern Day Moun... wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Iraq has celebrities?

from focusfront wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Gallows humor. When you are in an impossible situation, you might as well laugh at it; beats crying every time.

We could do this show with celebrities in the USA, substituting a big bag of cocaine for the bomb. The laughs would come when the celebrities are pulled over, a dog finds the cocaine, and the celebrity gets a dazed look and says, "I thought I already snorted that..."

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Latrine Humor...live it and it's not appreciated by anyone who has lived it. PB...if you think this isn't offensive, then sir, you must live in a dream world.

from nc30-06 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I'm with ou 2poppa.

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds alot like that Fear Factor or Scare Tactics (can't remember for sure) show too.
Always wondered what they would do if one of their "pranks" ended up being on someone who was carrying?
Jerk in scary costume jumps out at "victim" who proceeds to pump a couple rounds into the guys chest.

Yep, he looked pretty scared to me.......

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

And BTW, I was thinking the same thing, 'Iraq has celebrities?' Really? Since when?

from Tony C. wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

They have TVs in Iraq?

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Im a little bit confused such as, who's the aggresor, who's the peace makers, where's the front lines, is there really a war going on, or is that another production, where is the houses to hold the t,v,'s in, where's the starving kids, i don't know.

from 007 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Sort of reminded me of this, "Survivor, WV Style".

'I'm Gay'
'NASCAR Sucks'
'Go Pitt'
'Copenhagen is for Idiots'
'Deer Hunting is Murder'
'Say No to Budweiser'
'I'm Here to Confiscate Your Guns.'
'Go Michigan'

The first one to make it back to Wheeling alive wins.

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

007-
You could be a producer! WOW!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The show sounds disgusting. People die from bombs over there everyday.

from Modern Day Moun... wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Iraq has celebrities?

from Bioboy wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Amflyer wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Umm, I think I'm back to supporting waterboarding.

from 007 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Tow-ja you guys wuz SICK!!!!

Bubba

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from jay wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I don't find this idea very entertaining...acutally I find it disgusting.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I'm with ou 2poppa.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Yep, he looked pretty scared to me.......

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago