Gun Nuts Video Tip: Don't Fear the Rabbit

The Gun Nuts

December 21, 2010

Gun Nuts Video Tip: Don't Fear the Rabbit

By Phil Bourjaily

Today's target is the rabbit. A lot of people are wary of rabbits because they are fast and unpredictable. Phil Bourjaily teaches you why rabbits aren't as fast as they seem and how to focus on the middle when taking your shot.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Looks like fun!

Should try busting Jack Rabbits on the fly at 200+ with centerfire, good training for big game

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Don't you also favor the lower edge of the rabbit? Shot can skip off the ground from the patterns bottom portion, and break the rabbit..right, or wrong? Seems I heard this as a technique for better scores on rabbits.

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

OK, how about real rabbits when all you see is their fluffy little butt for a millisecond before it disappears into the bramble?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

The ones running around my property must be on the slow track. I'd bet I could hit them with a BB gun 2 out of three times. But, all they have to do is outrun a Labrador who would rather point them than chase them.

from buckstopper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I used to shoot real ones from a cotton picker with pistol. When shooting the clay kind, take your time but do it in a hurry.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

NorCal with 12 GA, 1 1/8 OR 1 1/4 #5's 06 6'S bucks the brush pretty good!

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Crap, Clay, does that mean I can't blame missing on the speed of the bunnies anymore?

from fng wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Nah, NorCal, just means you can't blame it on the thickness of the brush. Othrwise Clay would need to help us mortals find a new excuse for when we butch the easy shots! :p

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Whew! I hate it when I run out of excuses.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Phil, I know your pheasants in Iowa are way down so here's something you might wanta do. Myself and a friend took our dogs to Ed Davis' shooting preserve North of Kansas City near Edgerton, Missouri www.davisgamebirdfarm.com. For $100 each we had a blast shooting quail that flew like wild birds. There you can shoot any leftover birds the dogs find and an earlier party had bought peasants. Guess they couldn't hit them 'cause we got up 8 and bagged 6 of them. This beats the heck out of driving 4 hours to hunt wild birds like we did 2 weeks ago. That cost each man about $250 for gas and motel and the group got exactly 1 rooster. We have hunted other game farms near here and the biggest complaint was the quail did not fly well. Ed has birds that fly like hell. He also has a large private duck marsh with blinds. Billy D and yours truly will be going back to Ed's soon. Screw that long drive for a bird or two I like to eat them as well as shoot them. Ed's phone is 816-790-3491.
Almost forgot prices are very good too. You get your choice of 15 quail, 10 chukars or 6 pheasants for the base price of $100.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

BTW while visiting Ed I noticed he makes outstanding aluminum dog boxes and dog houses. The house is lined inside with wood to protect from the cold. Had to have one. Jill's old plastic dog house looked pretty bad after only 2 years. These houses are built to last a long time. Next I want one of his receiver hitch mounted dog boxes.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I can't believe you don't let that dawg ride in the Tundra back seat. That's what they are made for, right? Why else do you have a crew cab? ha ha!

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

NorCal...Don't rush the shot on a rabbit running into the brambles. I have had great success using my rabbit call, and bringing them back out of the brambles.....I make a noise like a carrot. :)

from jamesti wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

no excuses, i just miss.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

NorCal, you just aim about 5-10 feet into the tumble weeds and let loose!

Just going into that rattlesnake infested mess is another subject!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Wam, Tried that but Jill gets excited and wants to share my seat. Then there's that car sickness thing she gets just about everytime we go hunting.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Del

Dog box time....

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I have been missing so many shots lately that I have run out of excuses to the black dawg. He even brought me a several day old dead mallard to show me that it could be done...

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Went over to Dan's house to check on jill and she seems to love the new dog house. It's got to be warmer than the old house. It also should last a long time. The things built like a tank. In a way she bought her own house. All the puppies sold and we used some of that money.
Sorry to hear about Braveheart's disappointment. Give the ol' boy a new bone for consolation :)

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

The wife is home every day for 3 weeks now, so he will just get fat from the treats and spoiled from the attention.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

What kind of rabbit was that round thing? Didn't look like the cottontails and swamps I used to shoot with a .22, or even like the jacks I used to get with a .222 out on the mesquite and prickly pear flats.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

I can tell there are very few dedicated cottontail, rabbit hunters on this thread...a few jack plinkers, and that's it...otherwise they'd be calling them wabbits, and not rabbits. Me, and my dogs? we's wabbit hunters.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

I gave up. I have a dog far better than I am at that.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Aim at the nose and use #6 shot. No worry about brush, shot many that way growing up.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Who's afraid of the BIG BAD RABBIT!

Dillon Aero,

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Looks like fun!

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from buckstopper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

NorCal with 12 GA, 1 1/8 OR 1 1/4 #5's 06 6'S bucks the brush pretty good!

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Whew! I hate it when I run out of excuses.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

no excuses, i just miss.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

NorCal, you just aim about 5-10 feet into the tumble weeds and let loose!

Just going into that rattlesnake infested mess is another subject!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

Del

Dog box time....

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

I gave up. I have a dog far better than I am at that.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Who's afraid of the BIG BAD RABBIT!

Dillon Aero,