Some Meditations on the SHOT Show 2011

The Gun Nuts

January 26, 2011

Some Meditations on the SHOT Show 2011

By David E. Petzal

by David E. Petzal

The 2011 SHOT Show was mobbed, as it always is, and among the crowd were platoons of New York Times reporters looking for extended Glock magazines. But that’s not important now. Here are a couple of random notes having little or nothing to do with guns.

The Chris Reeve Knives booth is not only a good place to ogle terrific sharp instruments, but for good conversation. While loitering there I spoke with a trauma surgeon who had recently amputated the leg of a farm worker who had gotten tangled in some kind of sinister machine. The doc did not lop the limb in a hospital; he did it right there at the scene of the accident in order to save the man’s life, and he used an extremely sharp Lone Wolf folder, the same knife that won a Best of the Best award a number of years ago. He recommends it highly for ad hoc limb-lopping, and suggests that if you work on a farm you do not wear loose clothing.

There was no shortage of excellent booth babes, and as I lurched from aisle to aisle on the lower floor of the show where the ventilation is scanty, a particularly fine blond one slunk up to me and purred,

“Excuse me, sir, do you do CNC machining?”

I replied that I did not, but that if I got into a second career I would be glad to consider it for her benefit.

The bottom floor, as I mentioned, was poorly ventilated, and as a result you ran into micro-climates and fart banks. A fart bank is similar to a fog bank but smellier, and marks the spot where someone who had been into the refried beans a little too hard left a gift for everyone else. Fart banks linger there for a long time, and getting into one is like being exposed to CS gas—your palate tingles, your eyes tear, and then your throat closes up. It would be very nice if the Sands pumped some air into the place next year.

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal....

I loved the video blogs and wish you would do more of them. The interviews with various people within the gun industry is great. Also I am not much into fart banks and prefer to "crop dust" when I have to flatulate. That way more people can experience my scent.

from rock rat wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I don't read every word in the NYT but I only found one story by one writer.

Thirteen ultra lights? Really?

from .88Mag wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I do CNC machining! I can even Fanuc Macro B!!

from MJC wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

One day I will make it out to Vegas for SHOT, sounds like fun.

And as rock rat said- 13? Southpaw shooters everywhere must be blessing you for the steady supply of ultra-lights you bring to the used gun market. Unless you kept them all, in which case more power to you.

Here's a question about ultralight rifles. What's the largest cartridge would you put in one? I noticed on Melvin's website that they'll build them in .338 and .416, but a 7.5 pound .416 just sounds brutal.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Sorry Dave, but it sounds like you got "crop dusted" at SHOT. Or maybe SHOT at and missed and $HIT at and hit!

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

To MJC: The biggest NULA I've ever owned personally was a .340 Weatherby, and that was pretty grim. It did not have a muzzle brake, but if you can live with one, it will raise the ante on bearable calibers. I think NULAs are best from .270 on down. No brake, and no recoil, either. My favorite of all is 6.5x55 Swede.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks for pulling down the Adam & Eve ads. They were a little flashy for viewing the F&S site in the office.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I have never been to SHOT but enjoyed the DSC Convention so well I may be a regular at some of these larger events.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Buck,

From what I hear Happy will be glad to pay your way as good luck charm!

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

DEP, I love te stuff you write, most times bringing a smile to my face. I do cnc machining, too bad i wasn't there. I am glad to not run into any fart banks though.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Bee,
I am still smiling about Happy and his "prize". Truly could not have happened to a better person.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I find it best to pass a crop duster at a 90 degree angle, rather than head on, but worst of all is to be following one. That is virtually indistinguishable from stopping at a fart bank in the corner of the building.
Were there any gas masks on display?

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Indeed farm related injuries generally make grizzly bear attacks generally seem "tame". The two most remarkable ones I remember include the poor soul who got off his tractor to adjust the posthole auger, somehow got his pants entangled, and escaped uninjured except for both testicles being pulled off by said auger (OUCH!!!!!). The other farmer fell off a swather when he was making a turn. It passed over him not once but twice and he lived but was never very pretty after that day. By the way this guy was at Pearl Harbor 12/7/41 and had the Grand Slam of NA sheep plus others from Asia and the Middle East. If you are ever in the Irma Hotel in Cody, WY you can see his collection. He was quite a guy, passed away a few years ago.

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Another conservation issue- fart banks are on the rise contributing to global temperature and eyebrow raising.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

With the amount of flatulence being present, I'm surprised it didn't become a fire hazard!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Ish,

There are a ton of folks that have been grabbed by a post hole auger including my uncle! He got skinned up pretty good and saved the family jewels, but lost a pair of Levis and most of the hide on the front of his legs. It never ceases to amaze me how many farmers reach into peanut and grain combines to clear trash and clogs with the darn things running. Horrible injuries result.

from Carney wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

How weird. A guy called my business number last week and asked if I did any CNC routing. He didn't sound very pretty and I don't.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

If the booth babe in the photo above is a typical example of those needing CNC assistance, I will sign on for an Internet course beginning tonight. Even old guys are trainable...sometimes.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I knew a guy who cut his own hand off when he got it caught in a corn picker, lots of accidents with those things too. Did I miss the shot show booth babes annual post? Time to start searching.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I found it. :p

from Bernie wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I was having a lot of trouble with my computer as it is 11 years old, so bought a new hard drive but haven't been able to get the Adobe Flash Player activated. So I have been unable to see any of the videos from the SHOT Show. God, I love computers!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Ishawooa

I have been in the Irma Hotel in Cody and it is indeed a flash from the past.

from zzoe wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

He is really charming, I think I will like this!!

From Free-Home.tk zzoe

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Bernie

Down load Mozilla Firefox, it automatically updates and gets downloads for viewing.

ishawooa

Some fella I was told who knew nothing about fiber optics. A company had a opening for fiber optics tech and grabbed a couple of brochures and studied up on fiber optics, fabricated a resume, got hired, they sent him to school and now is regional manager.

David, that may of been your chance, LOL!

from firedog11 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

So Dave when is the booth babe slide show coming?

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

DEP - The daily video clips are a bullseye! They can feature the more new stuff that peaks your interest as well as some of the absurd and be very entertaining. The tactical police/military stuff may be exciting to some but doesn't trip my trigger as a sportsman. Of all the new items you saw, what are the first three things you want to buy, and why?

from Sciacchitano wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Hear! Hear! on Mr. Petzal's suggestion that the Sands install better ventilation for the lower level. I had to leave our booth to sit along one of the walls and plug in my laptop to check and send email, when I was gassed out by a "passing" attendee who had spent too much time the night before at some taco stand. Gross! I couldn't describe it better than Mr. Petzal. Perhaps if it had been one of the booth babes, it wouldn't have been as tough to take . . . Whatever happened to people stepping into a bathroom or outside before letting one rip? Anyway, I propose that Mr. Petzal start a petition to the Sands for next year, or else we will have to bring along our gas masks next year. I'll be the second to put my John Hancock on it.

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

man i got to get out there some time

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

i know a guy who stuck his finger in a corn head while shelling corn and lost his middle finger and he looked for it but he was pretty sure the chickens ate it. now thats finger licking good! also hwen i was youngewr like 3 or 4 the 6600 would plug up and dad whould take the pipe wrech that was on top of the feeder house and unplug it. he always told me to never touch anything and i listend!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Dave, Remember what happened to Maverick when he flew through another planes jet wash in Top Gun. You just gotta be able to avoid the wash behind those guys that have flatulence. There's an old guy down at the USPS plant in KC that most folks avoid at all cost for that reason, haha.
It looks like most of us here are ready for the booth babes en masse. Where are the photos?

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

WAM or anyone else of you traveling to Cody give me a call. We will sit in front of William F. Cody's cherrywood backbar which presented to him by Queen Victoria at the Irma with a glass of our favorite and I am buying.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

WAM: Old Bob's sheep and elk mounts are in the side hallway between the bar/main dining room and the Governor's Room. Bob rode on to the big hunt in the sky about five years ago so it was since then that the estate donated the mounts for public view. Perhaps you saw the display as it is rather impressive for an multi-faceted old cowboy to acquire.

from Ed J wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

ishawooa, I might take you up on that next summer. My brother lives in Roberts about 80 mi. N.
Been in Cody a couple times but did go into the Irma. :(

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I shoulda stayed out west...talking about it just doesn't make the grade.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Booth babes and flatulence, shot show is over, and hillfolk down here are declaring war on coyotes. "For the Love of turkey's, and before a single fawn drops" are our battle cries" Suddenly the Win model 94 in 22 mag has new nikon scope. It, an 870, a 243 abolt meat stick, surrounded by all the loose ammo I could scrounge and a big ass spotlight find their way to the back seat. I check the hunting regulations to find that their is no night hunting. I send the the commissioner a request for a permit to hunt yotes at night. I go shop for electronic calls and ready my self for the first charge. The bag limit is favorable-no limit. Golf will have to wait for years.

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Good Lord Man!
I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink when I got to "fart banks"! I'd have spewed all over the computer!
Hilarious!

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal....

from davidpetzal wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Bee,

from MJC wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

One day I will make it out to Vegas for SHOT, sounds like fun.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Ish,

from Carney wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I don't read every word in the NYT but I only found one story by one writer.

Thirteen ultra lights? Really?

from .88Mag wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I do CNC machining! I can even Fanuc Macro B!!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Buck,

From what I hear Happy will be glad to pay your way as good luck charm!

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Were there any gas masks on display?

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Ishawooa

I have been in the Irma Hotel in Cody and it is indeed a flash from the past.

from firedog11 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

So Dave when is the booth babe slide show coming?

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I found it. :p

from Bernie wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Bernie

ishawooa

David, that may of been your chance, LOL!

from Sciacchitano wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

man i got to get out there some time

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Ed J wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Been in Cody a couple times but did go into the Irma. :(

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I shoulda stayed out west...talking about it just doesn't make the grade.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Good Lord Man!
Hilarious!

from zzoe wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

He is really charming, I think I will like this!!

From Free-Home.tk zzoe