Help Complete the List of State Guns

The Gun Nuts

April 22, 2011

Help Complete the List of State Guns

By Phil Bourjaily

Following the Utah legislature’s resolution to name John Browning’s 1911 pistol* as the official state gun of Utah earlier this year, Arizona has became the second state with an official gun, choosing the Colt Peacemaker. I somehow doubt the trend to naming state guns will spread to all 50 states and I’m not sure it should, since legislatures have more important matters to debate. However, state guns are a perfectly appropriate topic for this blog. A while ago I asked for suggestions for state guns and the responses were so good we decided to make a gallery of unofficial state guns for all 50 states. This will be a collaborative effort and I need your help to finish it.

As you see from the list below, we’re almost halfway there. I took the best responses from the first post and added some I chose myself. There is one non-gun on the list: the Bear bow was nominated by two different readers for Michigan. Given Fred Bear’s huge role in popularizing bowhunting I made an exception and am allowing a bow as Michigan’s state gun.

The remaining states are open for suggestions. I would prefer American-made and/or designed guns, although foreign guns can be nominated. Ideally we would have 50 different guns, although some may double up.

The gun should have specific historical or sporting meaning to the state it represents. As this is Field & Stream, there may be bias shown toward hunting guns. You suggest, I choose, and in the event no good decision is reached for a particular state, a default state gun will assigned, either the Remington 870 or Model 700.

Your suggestions please.

*personally I think Utah should have left the 1911 to Connecticut, where it was made, and should have chosen the A-5, reflecting both John Browning’s genius and the tremendous waterfowling on the Great Salt Lake.
Photo: Utah Gov. Gary Herbert holds a Browning M1911 presented to him by Chris Browning (right), grandson of John M. Browning, during a celebration honoring the gun designer in front of the Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City.

Alabama --
Vermont – Kendall Underhammer Muzzleloader
Virginia – 1853 Enfield
West Virginia -- 1803 Harper’s Ferry Musket
Wisconsin
Wyoming --

from ggmack wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Delaware= Mossberg 500. all the deer, turkey and waterfowl hunting in the state.

from fromthepeavine wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I'd have to go with the Remington 870 for Arkansas, not sure why a bb gun is on the list....

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

North Carolina has the M1? Really?

As for Arkansas, isn't that where Daisy was founded?

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Arizona did not choose the "peacemaker." It chose the Colt Single Action Army. No, they're not quite the same. The Model P is the one generally referred to as the "Peacemaker" and it was chambered for .44-40 to be compatible with Winchester rifles of the day, which were not made in .45 Colt (aka .45 Long Colt to distinguish it from the .45ACP and the .45 Schofield).

The Colt Single Action Army refers specifically to the ones issued to the US Army, which were chambered for .45Colt in the Cavalry model (7.5" bbl) -- which was the most commonly issued model in Arizona for fairly obvious reasons.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Kudos on Michigans selection of the Bear bow! I hate to admit it but I kill more deer with my Bear Polar II then I do with my deer rifles!!! If Michigan adopted a rifle it would be the Remington Woodsmaster 740, 742, 7400. I've seen more hunters in the woods armed with that rifle than any other, and for good reason, the name Woodsmaster is exactly what they are!!!

from gman3186 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

virginia's state gun should be a shotgun if you dont believe me ride down the country roads and see how many signs have been sprayed with buckshot and most of the hunting done in virginia a shotgun is used if i had to pick a certain shotgun i would say the 11-87 is the most popular around here but for me its the mossberg 835

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Is Washington not a State anymore? You didn't list all 57 states Mr. Obama visited either.

As previously nominated, the Super Soaker should be the Washington State Gun. Plenty of free ammo and sure to please the liberal metrosexual weenies in Seattle.

Happy Easter! He is Risen!

WAM

from andrewcole50 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

In Ohio everyone I've known and talked to has a Remington 870 that they use for just about everything!

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

On to business. States in which I've lived and therefore will offer an opinion about the right state gun.

New Mexico: The Springfield 1835 Musket.
Maine: The Savage Model 99.
Masachusetts: The M1 Garand.
Arizona: The Colt SAA was the one I picked a month ago.
Kentucky: A Long Rifle of local manufacture.
Illinois: A "Zip" Gun.
New York: Any water pistol

from Tim Covington wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I concur on the choice of the Texas State Firearm. I've been thinking about which firearm should be the Texas one for awhile, and it was the conclusion that I came up with.

from kolbster wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

california should be a water pistol.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Tennessee: Remington 760 Gamemaster 30-06. No, too much baggage... better make that a 30-30 Marlin 336 or Winchester 94.

from Sb Wacker wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

+ DC - Nerf gun

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

North Carolina doesn't seem to be 'official'.

But someone wrote this:

Perhaps the Gatling Gun, whose inventor, Richard Jordan Gatling, was born near what is now Como, North Carolina. Since Gatling Guns are not true machine guns, they are still legal for private citizens to build and own. It would certainly show both Pennsylvania and Utah who was boss in the firepower department. Pennsylvania would be able to claim the early historical, handmade excellence crown, and Utah would be able to play up the modern warfare/Band of Brothers angle, but for sheer firepower and crowd pleasing excitement, we’d win.

from Tony C. wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I still say Alabama's should be the Saturday Night Special, but since we're known as a greenfield, food plot deer state, how about the Remington 700.

from jim in nc wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Mike Diehl's vote notwithstanding, I still back Maine's Hiram Maxim and his eponymous machine gun. It may not have won the West, but it sure did subdue a lot of the rest of the world.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wyoming should be the Freedom Arms .454 Casull in honor of it's inventor.

from Mjenkins1 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Georgia: the Powder Springs Mac-10 sub-machine gun. Invented in AND manufactured in (among other places) Powder Springs, GA. In no way is it anywhere close to being called a sporting firearm, however it's as original to the state as peaches.

from childress242 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Arkansas: Bowie Knife could also work(with a little flexibility in the criteria). Although there is nothing like a Red Ryder.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I changed my mind... Barrett .50 caliber rifles have to be our official gun. Ronnie Barrett was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee about 40 miles from where I now sit and he manufactures his ultimate sniper rifles right there in his home town.

from cmikles1 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Tennessee: Barret 82 or Sabre Defense Competition Extreme

from PbHead wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Last time around I nominated the Thompson Sub Machine Gun, aka, The Chicago Typewriter for Illinois. Along with a backup zip gun, it is still a good choice. Thanks to Mike Diehl.

Without tongue in cheek, The Winchester Model 12 would be a good choice. You still find plenty along the rivers during duck season, we used to have a real pheasant season, Olin still loads shot shells here and you see more than a few still breaking clays at Sparta.

Happy Easter to All!

from AlaskanExile wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

The Alaska Legislature took this up this session too, but thankfully have had more important things to do. The politician who wrote the bill suggested that the State gun of Alaska should be a Pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06.
I would go with the 30-06, but please, let's make it something that's still commonly available.

Go ahead, send your hate mail, I'm sure there a folks on here that hunt every year with one, but my point is they aren't making any more Pre-'64's, and more are placed in museums, private collections, or shrines every day.

AKX

P.S. My vote would be for a Ruger M77 Stainless, with a laminated or synthetic stock, in 338 or 300 Win Mag.

from WyomingTexan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I'd like to suggest the 1874 Sharps for Wyoming with a close second being the coach gun. Love the choice for Texas!

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

cmikles1, I bought one of those Sabre Defence Industries rifles just because it is stamped made in Nashville, Tennessee...

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Having lived in Wyoming for 30 years I that I can nominate the 1874 Sharps rifle. After all Quigley said he was from Wyoming and prefered this model in .45-.110.

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I also think that the Browning A-5 would be a good choice for Mississippi. When I was a kid growing up there it seemed all "real hunters" either had one of those great old shotguns or a Model 12.

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

no ohio rifle for ohio? thats what our first settlers built and carried!

from Damon619 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Connecticut- COLT

from chrisb9381 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

WA state - Olympic Arms AR-15

from CHKILCHII wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Indiana- Definetly the Mossberg 500. An all purpose gun that most hunters I know (myself included), use for deer(centerfire rifles not allowed, except for pistol cartridges), turkey, squirrel, rabbit, upland game such as quail or pheasant, and any other varmint we dislike.

from Badgerfan16 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think wisconsins should be the savage model 99

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I would nominate the High Standard pistol for Connecticut.

from apape720 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wisconsin- Savage 99
Just like I nominated it a month ago.

from chesney14 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

You have got California all wrong. The California State Gun is yhe Squirt Gun!!!!!!

from Ed J wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

North Dakota- Win 1895 through the connection with Teddy Rooseveldt.
Otherwise we're stuck with the Mod 12 Win or 870 Rem for upland game.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

why is MI a bow? i dont want a bow for my states GUN!! i think MI would be better off with something like a 30-30 lever of some make and model. thats a pretty classic MI deer woods gun.

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Kimber of Oregon, I know its moved to NY but still give credit to the original 84

Connecticut a Winchester lever gun 94 or 73.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I grew up in Indiana which was strictly a shotgun state and there were a lot of Ithaca's and Remington Wingmasters. My dad always used an A-5. Put a peep sight on it for deer.

from Nathan Pinney wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Official gun of the CA liberalhttp://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/006463.html

from martinclaybold wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I drool over my Beretta 92S pistol !

Gun Holsters

from Northern Coyote wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Not everyone in NY is a liberal pain in the .... rear, just the ones down close to NYC, which i say should be given to jersey, I think the Ithaca 37 would be a great pick for NY, guys have been droppin deer,ducks,turkeys and every other species in NY with 37's for decades

from blueridge wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Dr. Dave, I am pleased with your choices for these states:
New Hampshire – Ruger 10/22 rifle
New Jersey – Paterson Colt
New York – Remington 870
North Carolina – M1 Carbine
Texas – Walker Colt
Utah – 1911
Vermont – Kendall Underhammer Muzzleloader
Virginia – 1853 Enfield
West Virginia -- 1803 Harper’s Ferry Musket
But, I might suggest some alternates:
Tennessee -- 'Poor Boy' Tennessee caplock mountain rifle
Pennsylvania – The Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle [at its very best]
And, New Hampshire had a pile of shooters like Ned Roberts, who would recommend the 40 Rod Gun

Blue

from Dr. Killdeer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Rhode Island: A squirt gun for the pissers we elect and re-elect and re-elect.

from woodsdog wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I agree with the Remington 870 for New York as it was made in Ilion NY the headquarters of Remington for years as most know; however, the Ithaca Model 37 would have also have been equally as representable. I also agree with Dr. Ralph about the model 37's, the Model 12's and the 870's, 1100's and even the A5's as when I was growing up deer hunting and everything else in NY, that's all anybody ever shot in my neck of the woods of Western New York State. And they still are where shotguns are the only legal firarms for deer season. That's changing though now and most western New York counties allow rifles.

from Paratrooper Dave wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Dave, For Connecticut, I nommimate the Marlin 39 series of lever action rifles. Thanks!

from duckcreekdick wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Washington,D.C.- A used Jennings .25ACP, along with a pair of baggy-assed pants.

from JonHodson wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

California, Marshmallow Shooter

from nwild wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

California should be a .50 just to make a point.

from nwild wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

South Dakota should have a lever action Winchester to honor the Indian Wars. Both sides.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Connecticut Should be the Mossberg 500

from Mike57 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Kansas I think we could go with a rock, we don't let things evolve here.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from lloydwus wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

How about the spud gun for Boulder and Denver Colorado and the Ruger Hawkeye 77 in 300 Win Mag for tthe rest of the state living in the real world.

from blueridge wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Sorry Phil, called you Dave again...good post. I like this kind of original thinking.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Yeah Phil your posts are getting better and better. No reason to limit yourself to scatterguns...

from white bison wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wyoming: The .30 Newton Rifle designed by Charles Newton.
from Phil Sharpe: "Fred Barnes used one in the Red Desert
of Wyoming & that baby really reached out." With Wyoming's wide open spaces & big game...a long range rifle like the .30 Newton makes good sense.
Best Regards,
Tom

from Walleye wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

minnesota- desert eagle, made by magnum research of minneapolis

or a winchester model 1894

from blueridge wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Of course, Virginia's claim to fame was the gathering of captured parts and the assembly of the "Richmond Musket", which now is a collecter's dream, with its humpback lockplate. And, the 1853 Enfield was a British product, not Virginian...but, you did well, Phil. You are wise to lend an ear to your constituents.

Blue

from horribilus wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I was thinking that either the trapdoor springfield or Gatling gun might be appropriate for South Dakota because of their use in repressing the Sioux tribes of South Dakota. Remember Wounded Knee?

from MaineBuckeye wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Would have to go with Hiram Maxim's invention for Maine; although he eventually moved on, he came from Sangerville and his machine gun changed warfare.

Happy enough with the Ithaca for Ohio, but would claim the Garand (enough of them have been shot at Camp Perry over the years) if only to avoid having it be left homeless.

from dale freeman wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Iwould like to nominate the "Lefever Double barrel" as the state gun for Louisiana.

from dmattix wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I don't see Washington on the list? Tough choice, wide open hunting east of the mountains being so different from the blacktail jungles on the wet side. Still even on the coast bolties dominate. Rem 700 prolly dominates (even though I'm a Model 70 nut).

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

KS Remington 700, 30/06

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Moishe, I think the Remington 700, 30-06 is the official gun of the whole US of A. It's still the one I want in my hands when it matters the most. Mine will be 50 years old in another 4 years...

from smulhollan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think more appropriate choice for Pennsylvania would be the Remington 760. You probably wouldn't find more of these anywhere else in the country.

from smulhollan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Considering New Jersey's laws and political climate, it's state gun should be one of those wooden rubber band shooters - but a single-shot only.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

With no disrespect to the Great State of Alabama, or Remington Arms Co., the model 742 (.30/06) has got to be the official gun for Alabama. When I was a kid, I thought the 742, along with dog boxes, were factory option on all pick up trucks sold in Alabama.

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Nebraska: .243

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think the California state gun should also have the micro-stamping feature.

from Otacon_22 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Idaho should be the S&W Model 28 because of Elmer Keith's work on the .357 Magnum

from Joshua Yoder wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Dave,
I would like to nominate the guns used by the John Dillinger Gang. I am not sure of exact make and model. Some short fact searching has not given me more than "machine guns" and specialized guns Dillinger had customized.
I have heard that he had .45 autos custom made to shoot, reload, and work faster. I have also heard depression era gangs relied on Tommy guns mostly. Perhaps your fact checking research staff can find out what the real Indiana Hoosier Gangster really used.

I guess I could watch the Johnny Dep movie, but most of the time I just can't stomach the horrid gun play in gangster films.

Thanks,

from mike55 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wisconsin: Pea-shooter (we home grow the ammo here) and squirt gun (got lots of lakes and water) That's about all we're allowed for concealed carry. The only good thing I can say about it is the ammo's low-tox, and not likely to be banned, unless of course you use tap water. It has radon in it! They tripled our water bills on that one, when the economy's tanking and you can't find a job, plus they added another chemical in the process (I know, I'm allergic to it) when most of the rest of the world would love to have our otherwise pure and good tasting well water even with the infinitesimal amount of radon in it!!

Sorry for venting off had to get it out, it's gettin nuttier all the time!! Speaking of venting, maybe we can muzzle the whacky politicians that think up all of this stuff by requiring them to put CO2 scrubbers over their mouths to block all the carbon dioxide that's spewing out or is it carbon monoxide in their case. Of course they'll try to get around it by trading carbon credits to someone else! (that's a Cap and Trade joke if you're up on such mischief)

from rrmont wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For KS I think it should be a Remington 870 for the bird hunting or a Savage 110 or Remington 700 for the deer huning.

from GeorgeNK wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Mississippi, either the Marlin in 30-30 or as some one else suggested the Browning A-5

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

That must be why we don't have to carry around shooting sticks like Yankees, and hunters that are more comfortable being guided.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from yeti3670 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

The choice for Wisconsin's state firearm would be a toss up between a Winchester '94 in .30-30 caliber or a Remington Woodsman 7600 in .30-06.

from iron giant wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think Pennsylvania should be the Pennsylvania long Rifle. I mean the TC is a good gun, and my Dad used to hunt whitetails with one in PA when he lived there, but the historical significance of the Pennsylvania Long Rifle should make it the State Gun.

from GeorgeNK wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Second thought on Mississippi, there are many Stevens single shots, J C Higgins and Ted Williams guns around.

from micko77 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Since Les Baer wised up and left Illinois I can't nominate his wonderful guns, and the various makers such as Rock River Arms, Lewis machine Tool et al make variations of other designs, I'd like to to suggest Armalite's AR-10. They hold the patent and have maintained and improved on Mr. Stoner's design--without the forward assist unless I'm mistaken.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

mike55 - I was going to bring up the conceal carry issue in wisconsin walker said he would pass it if it came to his desk unlike doyle who shot it down twice. maybe a state gun should be tacked onto that bill if it gets to walkers desk.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

@ duckcreekdick

Or maybe an RG .22 as an alternative !

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For KS I would suggest the bolt action shotgun (A JC or Sears) I don't know a farmer in KS who doesn't have one.

from Bonedog719 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For the State of Maine the Hiram Maxim Machine Gun should be it. Hiram Maxim was born in Sangerville, Maine and he invented the first machine gun...the Devil's Paintbrush as it came to be known.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

In Georgia one would need to subdivide. In the "ATL" the street mentality would be more suited to the Mac 10 made out in the burbs. Glocks are also a product of Symrna another suburb of the rotten A.

As for the rest of us in the state I'll side with Ishoowa for the same reasons. When I was a youngster any hunter worth his salt had a Browning A5, either a light 12 or a Sweet Sixteen. Small game was king and game birds, especially Quail and Dove were big items on the list. Rabbit, Squirrel and Wood Duck filled out said list.

For the nostalgic a muzzleloading rifle in the style of the Gillespie family who spilled over into Georgia from North Carolina would be appropiate as well. Guns of the type were made in several locations in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Also...

As a shout out for my extended family from Tennessee I would recommend that the Bean Style Southern Mountain Rifle become the official gun of that state.

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Indiana is definitely the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870

from blackhawkbill wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Tennessee would be the poor boy in flintlock. Hey Blueridge a caplock is just not hill billy enough. A Tennessee boy could always find a piece of flint to use but caps would be hard to keep up with.

from Harold wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Wyoming: The Winchester Mod. 70 of course. It was the most preferred rifle for many years.

from Scott Kittinger wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Illinois should have a gun that won't fire unless it's registered...LMAO!! Or how about calling it the Banninshootin 2. Alluding to the fact that this slave state is one of only TWO LEFT IN THE UNION that won't allow us to carry concealed... Double LMAO

from srlarson wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

A few states that I have hunted:
MN - winchester 94 30/30...hunting deer in the north woods
WI - Winchester 1897 12 guage....grew up with that as Granpa's gun...took lots of deer, grouse, etc....
SD - Stephens 311 side by side....has to be a pheasant gun....or go small and prairie dog gun......

from frosty23 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Ohio should have their state gun to be the Mossberg 500, because almost all of the people I know own that gun. Ohio uses that gun a lot according to the game and landscape.

from 2 Batt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Dave, like the Pa. choice of a TC flintlock (because I own one), but I wouldn't argue with a Pa. Long Rifle or a Rem. 760 (or 7600, 0r Six). There sure are a lot of those Remingtons in these Pa. hills.

from etexan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Idaho- spud gun, just kidding, Phil.

Anybody remember the spud gun?

from Hillbilly Hunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For WV I have to vote for the Ultra Light Arms Model 20. The company is now New Ultra Light Arms. Its arguably one of the finest mountain rifles ever made. They are made in Granville, WV. Thanks.

from Hillbilly Hunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from WiscTJK wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Wisconsin - I vote for the Remington 760/7600 or the Marlin 336

from TheDuke123 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I'm nominating the Johnson Automatics Model 1941 rifle for the State of Rhode Island. The M1941 was the runner up to the M1 Garand in the pre-WWII competition for the next generation semi-auto US military infantry rifle. The M9141 and the Johnson Light Machine Gun were manufactured by Johnson Automatics located in Cranston, RI. It was fielded by the short-lived USMC Para-Marines and used in the Solomon Island's camapaign. It used a rotary magazine ala the 10/22 and it's designer, Melvin Johnson was instrumental in getting the US military adopt Eugene Stoner's AR design which uses a similar bolt design as the M1941.

from Jnelson64 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

MN - DPMS AR-15, located in St. Cloud, MN. Cant get much better than that.

from sgaredneck wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Bee and Ishawooa are right about the Browning A-5's. Here when I was a kid, I noticed early on that every single daddy or granddaddy of all my friends all to a man had A-5's, either a 12 or 16. You don't see them as much in the field now, but for a long time here that was THE gun. I have A-5's I inherited from both sides of the family, one a 12, one a sweet 16. Lots of good hunting memories provided by those.

Here in SW Ga. in the quail woods, I'd have to say an old L.C. Smith or an old Fox, preferably in 20 gauge, would be a gentleman quail hunter's desire, both back in the day, and a lot of folks still now.

As far as an actual GA-made gun, maybe a Spiller & Burr, or a Griswold pistol from the Civil War era.

from Joseph Bishop wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wyoming should be a Freedom Arms Model 83 in .500 Wyoming Express

I think NM (my home) should be the M1 Garand because our state had the highest per capita enlistment in WW2.

from wisconsonhunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wisconson--- The marlin 30-30 model 336. I dont think htat theres any camp in the entire state of wisconsin that somebody doesnt have a 30-30 rifle.

from TED FORD wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Dakota for South Dakota.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Still get a chuckle when I think about my old gunsmith buddy refering to a Rem 1100 as an "Arkansas Purdey"! LOL!!
You could hear 'em all over Clebert Roost!
Bang!
Chug-a-lug!
Bang!
Chug-a-lug!
Texas - Walker Colt - perfect!
New Jersey - Paterson Colt - perfect!
Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi needs to adopt something along the line of a Parker, A.H. Fox, L.C. Smith or Greener sxs double. Quail hunting states exemplar.
I really feel California needs to be a "pop" gun! LOL!!
For the "Sooner" state, (Oklahoma) how about a half finished "kit" muzzle loader!

Bubba

from ACSLADR wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Duke123 great insight on a RI gun, moved here about 3 years ago and being a transplant I didnt know much of the history of RI guns. My vote would be a Mossy 500 because I can just switch barrels with the seasons (no centerfire here!!!) That said being a transplant from upstate NY(by the Canadian border) please everyone dont lump the whole state in with the city!! lots of great hunting up there in the adirondacks!!! anything chambered in .308 is the choice in my hunting camps!

from woodsdog wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Maine should be the venerable Remington 760 Gamemaster pump. The Benoit's of Maine made them famous and are without reservation the "green plaided wool standard" for northwoods deer trackers everywhere, be it in mind, body or soul. I know a lot would suggest the 30.06 chambering, I think in 7mm08 or .35 Whelen equally as useful and representable.

from MJC wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I'd still like to see one of H&R's guns used for MA- the Topper or Handi-rifle. But when the '03 Springfield is an option you'd be a fool not to take it.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Idaho: Winchester model 70 in 270 to give a nod to Jack O'Connor, who adopted Lewiston as his hometown.

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I hope some state adopts the Remington Nylon 66 if only to remind Remington that they once made the most reliable .22 rimfire in the world.

from Max Shaffer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I would nominate Wichita Arms rifles as the Kansas state gun.

from JonN wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Indiana I would say the A5 since I have yet to meet a hunter or gun collector who doesn't own at least one here in the Boilermaker State. But since the A5 should be a gun of the entire USA (along w/the Remington 700)we'll have to keep looking...

from MacBean wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I nominate the Sharps rifle for the State of Kansas. Known as 'Beecher's Bibles' they helped protect settlers from the 'border ruffians' before the Civil War and went on to be the best known of the buffalo rifles.

from orionbeme wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Minnesota - Savage 99; a classic deer gun for a classic deer state

from Bonedog719 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Woodsdog: The Benoit family is from Vermont not Maine.

The Model 760 was not manufactured in 7mm-08 or 35 Whelen. It was manufactured in 35 Remington and other calibers.

To my knowledge the Benoits use only 30-06 and 270 Remington calibers.

from GreenIsland wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think the Iowa gun should be the 16" Mark 7. As a second choice, the 16 gauge Wingmaster.

from Nuka wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wisconsin is the "Whitetail State". In my 30+ years of chasing these elusive creatures through all sorts of weather and terrain, I've seen more Remington 742's chambered in .308 or .30-06 than any other gun!

from Scott in Ohio wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Pennsylvania: Remington Models 141 or 760 in .35 Rem.
Ohio: Ithaca 37

from idahoelkandflyguy wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Otacon_22:
I don't know as Elmer had much to do with the .357 mag but he did brag a lot that he pushed the .44 mag into existence. Maybe a S&W 29? That's the handgun he is often shooting in pictures.

from Jeremy Mullins wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Tennessee - Flintlock

Three important rifles are attributed to Davy (he preferred to be called David) Crockett’s career.

The first was a .48-caliber flintlock, owned by Joe Swann of Knoxville, Tennessee, and on exhibit at the East Tennessee History Center in Knoxville.

To honor his service in the Tennessee State Assembly, Crockett’s Lawrence County constituents presented him with a .40-caliber flintlock crafted by James Graham circa 1822. Crockett affectionately named this rifle “Old Betsy,” either after his wife or sister. He gave it to his son, John Wesley, when he headed for Texas in 1835. Today, it resides in the Alamo Museum collection in San Antonio.

The Whig Society of Philadelphia presented him with the third rifle, “Pretty Betsy.” It is believed to be a percussion cap rifle. The owner, a Houston attorney who descends from the Crockett family, won’t let anybody see it nor does he answer questions regarding the weapon.

None of these rifles played a role in the 1836 Alamo battle. Crockett earned acclaim after dying while defending the fort during a 13-day siege by the Mexican army.

from slddvm wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Definitely the Walker Colt for Texas.

from RTMaguire wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Connecticut - Smith & Wesson Model 19 357 mag - New Heaven Conn could be the "home" of so many good guns that were made there. The legislature should take credit for the best pistol produced in that State (although Colt Python was a tough competitor). The effort of so many talented American Yankee gunsmiths should be recognized. Unlike all of the great brass works which once dotted the center of that state - which are now gone and largely foregotton.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Connecticut - A.H. Fox shotguns

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Maine Browning BAR or Rem 7600

from deadeyedick wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Pennsylvania the state gun would be without doubt the PENNSYVANIA LONG RIFLE developed in lancaster county in the early 1700's

from kamikaze45 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Have to go with Remington,Model 700 specifically, as I own several, But let's not forget Dan Wesson { I believe Norwich, N.Y.} As well as Kimber { Yonkers, N.Y.} and Henry Rifles {Brooklyn, N.Y. BTW ,Mike Deihl.} And I thought Ithaca was originally manufactured in King's Ferry , N.Y. No?

from mtiselin wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Wisconsin it would have to be either 30/30 lever gun or a semi-auto remington in 30.06

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from PipersDad06 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

As for KS if you look at history, I agree with MacBean. But for hunting and all the upland birds, turkey, and waterfowl, yes we have them here- don't forget the Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira NWR, among other places, I would suggest a scattergun like the 870 or Mossberg 500 or maybe an o/u, but then again a .30-06 for all of the deer.....

from trapper57 wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

i think michigan should be a marlin 30-30, whitch has been used for deer hunting since it came out in the 1873

from Mikebaker wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Idaho- I like the Idea of giving the nod to Elmer Kieth, but it needs to be the .44 mag, due to his influence in development of that round, more than the .357.But both would be ok.My second nomination would be the Winchester Model 70 in 30-06,Deer,Elk,Bear,Mountain Loin,Moose,Bighorn Sheep,Mountain Goat and pronghorn. All have been felled in Idaho with one by thousands of hunters.

from mike55 wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

To Mike57: What!! We evolved from rocks??? Where'd you hear that??? I always thought somebody put us together with just dust. Must've been some pretty smart rocks to go from rocks to people. Come to think of it, most dust is just ground up rocks, so maybe we came from rocks after all:)

For Wisconsin: Would like to ditto all prior entries for Wis. and add the shotgun, esp.the 12ga. Back when I started hunting around forty years ago, rifles were expensive compared to today's prices and the quality is much better now. Shotguns were generally cheaper than rifles back then, if you had one you were good to go for everything from whitetails to small game. Just starting out hunting on a paper route income,a shotgun was all all I could afford. Even in the counties where rifles were allowed for deer you still saw a fair number of shotguns w/slugs and don't think that has changed much today(haven't hunted for quite awhile due to health reasons). Almost everybody I know has a shotgun and it's usually a 12ga., that's why I would also nominate it in addition to the above entries for Wisconsin.

To fliphuntr: I'm aware of the situation with Gov. Walker. There's a petition going around from the Wis. Gun Owners Inc.(WGO) for real Right-to- Carry as enjoyed by Alaska and Vermont citizens( with other states in the cusp). Get a copy, sign it and send it in. Gov. Walker has had his hands full trying to get some some fiscal responsibility back to this tax and regulation hell!! If he has his way maybe we can attract a gun or ammo manufacturer from another state tax and reg. hell to Wis.? Then we could have a real state gun!!

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

South Florida - Mac 10
The rest of the state - Benelli Super Eagle

from steelhead08 wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Wisconsin;only ONE qualifies(IMO)hands down, it has to be the steadfast reliability and boundless versatility this
firearm so accurately personifies via it's very nature and it's "get the job done" construction; an attribute hard-wired into every Wisconsin-born human being....and the winner is...the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun [45-70].

from hikerjamz wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Florida gun should be Smith & Wesson 357

from dale freeman wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Has anybody seen a state gun that they suggested, posted, on the state list ?

from dale freeman wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Has anybody seen a state gun that they suggested, posted, on the state list ?

from ormssont wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

MacBean's option of Kansas adopting the Sharps Rifle was a good one. I would like to propose an alternative: Remington trap-door .45-70, an issue calvary weapon of the 1870s. In the hands of the US Calvary, galvanized or not, these soldiers help seal the wounds of Bleeding Kansas as well as points west of here.

from Major Graydon wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

ALABAMA. LC Smith, 12ga, side by side.
Most old timers preferred the LC for bird huntin, coon huntin, squirrel and such. It seemed to be the standard.

from TayHawk wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

ALABAMA - What suits the Heart of Dixie, and home of the first capitol of the Confederacy than the Enfield Rifle Musket.

from platte river rat wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Nebraska, any of the rifles used to shoot buffalo, any of the US Army guns used in the Indian wars or (not a gun)but, the B-52 bomber. We are the home of Offutt Air Force Base, Strategic Air Command.

from Derek Plato wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

ALABAMA is also known for inventing the Paintball Gun and the SUPER SOAKER Water gun...fun fact.

from Mathew Americo ... wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

As a lifetime resident of Connecticut, I would select the Marlin 336, which were made in New Haven for generations.

from Mathew Americo ... wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from RangerDansDrink... wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Hawaii: 50 Cal. Machine gun hand by Medal of Honor awardee Doris (Dorie) Miller of the USS West Virginia as he fought against attacking planes on December 7, 1941.

from RangerDansDrink... wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Have to disagree on Pennsylvania. Should be the Pennsylvania Long Rifle (later called the Kentucky Long Rifle. It was first hand made in Lancaster Pa.

from Brock1994 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Tennessee's state gun ( in my opinion ) should be the Barrett 50 cal The Barett because of the Mufreesboro based company that has pumped out the war hammers since the 80's.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 6 days ago

Alaska 3006

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Happy Easter! He is Risen!

WAM

from duckcreekdick wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

North Carolina has the M1? Really?

As for Arkansas, isn't that where Daisy was founded?

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

New Mexico: The Springfield 1835 Musket.
Maine: The Savage Model 99.
Masachusetts: The M1 Garand.
Arizona: The Colt SAA was the one I picked a month ago.
Kentucky: A Long Rifle of local manufacture.
Illinois: A "Zip" Gun.
New York: Any water pistol

from Dr. Killdeer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Rhode Island: A squirt gun for the pissers we elect and re-elect and re-elect.

from ggmack wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from kolbster wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

california should be a water pistol.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

North Carolina doesn't seem to be 'official'.

But someone wrote this:

from Tony C. wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wyoming should be the Freedom Arms .454 Casull in honor of it's inventor.

from cmikles1 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Tennessee: Barret 82 or Sabre Defense Competition Extreme

from PbHead wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Happy Easter to All!

from AlaskanExile wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

AKX

from WyomingTexan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

no ohio rifle for ohio? thats what our first settlers built and carried!

from Damon619 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from childress242 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from chrisb9381 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

WA state - Olympic Arms AR-15

from Badgerfan16 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think wisconsins should be the savage model 99

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I would nominate the High Standard pistol for Connecticut.

from apape720 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wisconsin- Savage 99
Just like I nominated it a month ago.

from chesney14 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Ed J wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

North Dakota- Win 1895 through the connection with Teddy Rooseveldt.
Otherwise we're stuck with the Mod 12 Win or 870 Rem for upland game.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

West Virginia -- 1803 Harper’s Ferry Musket
But, I might suggest some alternates:
Tennessee -- 'Poor Boy' Tennessee caplock mountain rifle
Pennsylvania – The Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle [at its very best]

Blue

from nwild wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

California should be a .50 just to make a point.

from blueridge wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from white bison wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wyoming: The .30 Newton Rifle designed by Charles Newton.
from Phil Sharpe: "Fred Barnes used one in the Red Desert
Best Regards,
Tom

from blueridge wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Blue

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Scott Kittinger wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from frosty23 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from 2 Batt wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from TheDuke123 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Bonedog719 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Woodsdog: The Benoit family is from Vermont not Maine.

To my knowledge the Benoits use only 30-06 and 270 Remington calibers.

from Jeremy Mullins wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Tennessee - Flintlock

from fromthepeavine wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from gman3186 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from CHKILCHII wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Connecticut a Winchester lever gun 94 or 73.

from Nathan Pinney wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from martinclaybold wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I drool over my Beretta 92S pistol !

Gun Holsters

from blackhawkbill wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Harold wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from srlarson wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

A few states that I have hunted:
MN - winchester 94 30/30...hunting deer in the north woods

from etexan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Idaho- spud gun, just kidding, Phil.

Anybody remember the spud gun?

from Hillbilly Hunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from WiscTJK wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Wisconsin - I vote for the Remington 760/7600 or the Marlin 336

from Jnelson64 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

MN - DPMS AR-15, located in St. Cloud, MN. Cant get much better than that.

from Joseph Bishop wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Wyoming should be a Freedom Arms Model 83 in .500 Wyoming Express

from wisconsonhunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from TED FORD wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Dakota for South Dakota.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

You could hear 'em all over Clebert Roost!
Bang!
Chug-a-lug!
Bang!
Chug-a-lug!
Texas - Walker Colt - perfect!
New Jersey - Paterson Colt - perfect!
I really feel California needs to be a "pop" gun! LOL!!

Bubba

from ACSLADR wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from woodsdog wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from MJC wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Max Shaffer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I would nominate Wichita Arms rifles as the Kansas state gun.

from JonN wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from orionbeme wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Minnesota - Savage 99; a classic deer gun for a classic deer state

from GreenIsland wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Nuka wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Scott in Ohio wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Pennsylvania: Remington Models 141 or 760 in .35 Rem.
Ohio: Ithaca 37

from idahoelkandflyguy wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Otacon_22:

from slddvm wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Definitely the Walker Colt for Texas.

from RTMaguire wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

KS Remington 700, 30/06

from smulhollan wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

Nebraska: .243

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I think the California state gun should also have the micro-stamping feature.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

@ duckcreekdick

Or maybe an RG .22 as an alternative !

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from Hillbilly Hunter wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from kamikaze45 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from PipersDad06 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

from trapper57 wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

from Mikebaker wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

from mike55 wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

South Florida - Mac 10
The rest of the state - Benelli Super Eagle

from dale freeman wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Has anybody seen a state gun that they suggested, posted, on the state list ?

from dale freeman wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Has anybody seen a state gun that they suggested, posted, on the state list ?

from ormssont wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from Major Graydon wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

ALABAMA. LC Smith, 12ga, side by side.

from TayHawk wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from platte river rat wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Derek Plato wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Mathew Americo ... wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Mathew Americo ... wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from RangerDansDrink... wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

from RangerDansDrink... wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

from Brock1994 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 6 days ago

Alaska 3006

from mtiselin wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Mike57 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

For Kansas I think we could go with a rock, we don't let things evolve here.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report