Happy Birthday Mossberg 500

The Gun Nuts

May 27, 2011

Happy Birthday Mossberg 500

By Phil Bourjaily

This year Mossberg’s 500 pump turns 50 years old. Millions of Model 500s have been produced since the gun debuted in 1961. I have been thinking about the Model 500 lately for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, I have a large and tender bruise on the web of my left hand from shooting two rounds of buckshot out of a pistol-gripped police-style 500 on the Gun Nuts TV show this week.

Also, our video editor Michael Shea asked me which shotgun had the first factory camo stock. The earliest factory camo job I can find record of was on the M-500 back in 1986. It would make sense given Mossberg’s history of industry firsts that the Model 500 was the first camo shotgun.

As the gun’s August 12 50th birthday approaches it’s a good time to mention again that not only is the 500 inexpensive, but it was the first factory shotgun available with a rifled slug barrel; an inline muzzleloader barrel; a cantilever scope mount; a stock with interchangeable combs; (I think) a camo finish and several other innovations.

Also, Model 500s are smooth out of the box and they have a top safety for us left-handed shooters. The only thing I don’t like about the gun is the way the barrels screw into the end of the magazine cap. All in all, it’s an durable gun that has stood the test of time, as a sporting, military and law enforcement arm, so: Happy Birthday!

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

That's special. Turns out I'm older than Mossberg...

from ZCORR wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I've been torn between the Rem 870 and the Moss 500 but after handling a 500 at the NRA show I'm starting to lean that way.

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

<---- Also appreciates the top safety as I shoot left handed. Becoming a quick Mossberg fan

from jbird wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Great gun, especially for the hunter on a budget.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Makes me want to know when my old 500AT was made. Pop had that for many years before me.

from JCB wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

And the first 3 1/2" magnum shotgun. Yeah, I know it is called the model 835. But the 835 is nothing more than a stretched 500.

from jjas wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I've owned a Mossberg 500 (in one model or another) since the 1980's. I killed my first deer with a 500.

They are inexpensive, well made, reliable firearms that represent a tremendous value for the money and as the article states Mossberg is a very progressive company with a lot of "firsts" to their name.

Congrats on the 500's 50th birthday....here's to 50 more (@ least).....

from jjas wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

BTW Phil, is that special 50th anniversary gun in the photo? I noticed the jeweled bolt and wondered if Mossberg was going to offer a walnut stocked 500 for the anniversary?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Has Mossberg ever offered a real walnut stock? Or a forearm that did not crack?

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

My first two shotguns... a 20ga (produced for Western Auto under the Revelation label) and a 12ga. I could run six rounds through that 20 faster and more accurately than my best friend could shoot five from his Browning A-5. It was a great gun, stolen with my car many years ago. I could care less about the car, but I still miss that shotgun.

The quality went way downhill on them for a little while, but from the SHOT Show samples I've seen the last couple of years, it looks like they're getting it back together.

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

i got my mossberg 500 for my 12th Christmas. me and my dad added a sling and as of right now it is wereing camo guntape for turkeys and predetors. i have used it for everything from squrrils to rabbits to deer to pheasents. great shotgun

from blueridge wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Congratulations to any American company staying in business for such a long time.

I have had disappointing experiences with the brand, but I do not want to rain on this parade. Someone said that Success was simply---improvement.

I wish Mossberg great success, and many more years.

blue

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

My Mossberg 500 is in 20ga and I recived it for my 12th birthday. It was my 1st gun. 18 years later, it still works, no thanks to me and the way I've treated it. It cycles very slick and always goes bang when I pull the trigger. Sure, there is a little slop in the slide, but it has done what it was intended for....affordable, all purpose game getter!

from jamesti wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

the 500 is the only mossberg i have ever liked. maybe i'll own one someday.

from fortycal wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Although I do prize my 870, there's no denying that the 500 represents true value, and has probably helped many of us get into shotgunning affordably, when it may otherwise have not been easy or even possible. I for one, would like to see Mossberg duplicate this solid success elsewhere in their offering.

from Phil1227 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I recieved my 500 in 20ga for my 12th birthday, still have the gun and have had no problems with it.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Sold a SH*T ton of these when I worked at the sports shop; LOW Price was a motivation for many to buy them and most of the customers were happy with them!

from beanap wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

A friend and i were just commenting how ugly and how easily these guns can get dirt and grime into the action, save some money and get an 870 is all i have to say

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

@ beanap

Looks like you have fallen into a nest of Mossyturd fans getting a -1 or two! LMAO!

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from tom warner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I have used one of these a bit for turkey hunting, mostly because it was short and handy. I am not very impressed with it. The plastic tang safety is the stiffest I have ever used and I hate it. Nothing seems to help it. The gun is stocked so that when firing it, it recoils INTO your cheek, and can give you a painful surprise. I'll gladly lend it to anyone should they ask. No need to return it. Best thing that can be said is that it is cheap.

from jjas wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Hey Tom,

I'll be glad to "borrow" that 500 and keep it for you as long as you want me to.....

from ADKHunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

i have a remington but im going to buy one for turkey and deer my dad has one and he says theyre just durable and affordable and he has no complants

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter -- Yes, Crown Grade M500s had walnut stocks, and the new 50th Anniversary gun will have walnut, too.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Thanks, Phil

When does the new Gun Nuts TV season begin?

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

WA mtn hunter -- I just finished filming my last contributions to Gun Nuts, Season II. I think it will start in July but I will announce the dates and times in the blog when I know for certain. We have made some changes to the show all of which I think will be for the better.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I have never actually shot a Mossberg 500, but I have hunted a lot with an 835. It was the first shotgun I ever shot that fired the 3.5" shells and it performed flawlessly.

I did have a friend who had a Maverick shotgun that I believe was just a cheaper version of the Mossberg 500. He had a huge backyard and we used to shoot skeet back there all the time and that gun was used and abused and he even left it outside in his barn all the time. He never had any problems with it at all.

I congratulate Mossberg on 50 years of producing an affordable shotgun and here's to 50 more! I swear some of you guys complain when they talk about $250 OR $5,000 guns.

from micko77 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I tried a variety of pump shotguns back in the early '80's, (yes, even the vaunted 870) and found that for one reason or another could not consistently hit birds, whether clay or feathered. After 5-6 tries, I bought a Mossberg of a slightly limited edition, with a gold-colored trigger and factory-slicked action, and have been happy with it since. I bought a 10-pack of steel safeties and associated hardware for myself and anyone else whom I might run into that wanted one installed, and have beed happy since. Yes, it rattles a bit, and I'd like to put a longer mag tube on it for housegun configuration, but as others have mentioned, I can run that faster and more accurately than any pump and many autos I've shot against. I've picked up a couple of Youth models for kids and wife, slicked them up by Mr. Shootsthehelloutofit, and have been happy with the various ways I can set it up. Only gun I've had an honest triple on a covey of quail, 1 shot per bird, 1 flush. Won't change brands soon!

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Mossberg has the Lightning Pump Action trigger, which should improve one's shooting with slugs or when going after turkey (where you're really aiming the gun rather than pointing it).

Now that Remington and Marlin are in the same group, any possibility they would share trigger technology?

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

I have one with interchangeable smoothbore and rifled barrels. My only complaint with it is plug. It's a quarter inch dowel that goes in the magazine tube through the barrel retention screw at the end of the magazine. Mine's bound up in the spring somehow. If anyone can tell me how to disassemble tube without a plasma cutter so I can remove it and replace the spring, I'd be thankful.

from Jac wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Micko77,
I am very curious where you found "steel safeties" for the Mossberg 500. I recently found that my plastic safety was broken and the spring & detent ball also missing (just found the "ball" on the bedroom carpet last night!). Had a friend order new stuff from Brownells about a week and a half ago but don't think it will be steel. Thot about finding a machinist to fabricate one of steel but too expensive.....

from micko77 wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

I believe I got the safeties from Brownell's via my gunsmith; it's been 20 years, but I'm sure they have them for the 590 per milspec.

from Bruce Wright wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Bought my 12 ga.pump in 74, as my first shotgun,$90,on sale, so I wouldn't have to worry about "babying" it. After a few wet trips, & the stain/varnish started to come off, I burnt off the finish & put on 12 coats of linseed/turp. When I took a nail to it & the scratch wouldn't show, I was done. LUV it to the MAX, I shoot the hell out of it every year, birds, deer, even moose, & target shooting at the gravel pit. (blows up gallons of water, beans, skeet,muriatic acid makes a nice cloud,had to dispose of it) A lot of years, I know I put at least 20 boxes of shells through it. From bird shot, to slugs, & Magnums. AMAZED that it still keeps ticking! I thought it was going to wear out, so I Started looking at semi's a number of years ago, but was detered by number of guys that have trouble with their semi's. It shows a lot of wear & tear, & old age ---- so now we match! lol !

from Bruce Wright wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

OOPS! I should have added that I did add a rubber pad to the stock, & when most other guys stopped skeet shooting after 1 or 2 boxes because they were too sore, I would shoot 6 to 8 boxes, & stop because we usually ran out of skeet. Mossberg forever!

from micko77 wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

I should also point out that my Mossberg (I remember now-Regal Edition) has a 24 inch rifle-sighted smoothbore, with which I can easily place 3 Winchester 1 oz. slugs on a paper plate at 75 yards, easily adequate for the local whitetail population. I hope they keep making them for a long time; good gun, good value. They should standardize that safety, though.

from 007 wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

There are four of them around our house.

from BubbaK wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Love my Model 500A - only shotgun I've ever owned

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

My 16Ga 870 was made in 1961, I will keep it, y'all can have Mossy to yourselves. But 50 years is a good start. Maybe they will get it right soon.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

I bought a used Mossberg 500 because of the price and the 18" riot barrel. I love the top safety, as its easy to get to and natural as you bring the gun to your shoulder. The only bad thing is it sure kicks hard. I've fired shortered barreled (14") Remington 870 police guns that kick less.

from bertram wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

When ducks became allergic to lead in the Ohio River bottoms I put up my 870 and got a cannon 835. I actually shoot it better and can't find a way to mistreat it.Have gotten a turkey barrel and used only the 835 since turkeys migrated back here.Gave up 3 1/2s in it, body parts harder to locate after firing them because of poorer eyesight.It rattles a bit,but has always gone boom when trigger pulled, unlike buddies various semi-autos.
Raised on pump guns the 835 always gets the nod for real business.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

That's special. Turns out I'm older than Mossberg...

from ZCORR wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from micko77 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Great gun, especially for the hunter on a budget.

from JCB wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Congrats on the 500's 50th birthday....here's to 50 more (@ least).....

from jjas wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from blueridge wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I wish Mossberg great success, and many more years.

blue

from jamesti wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

the 500 is the only mossberg i have ever liked. maybe i'll own one someday.

from fortycal wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Hey Tom,

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from micko77 wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

from Phil1227 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from tom warner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from ADKHunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Thanks, Phil

When does the new Gun Nuts TV season begin?

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

from Jac wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Micko77,

from Bruce Wright wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

from Bruce Wright wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

There are four of them around our house.

from BubbaK wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Love my Model 500A - only shotgun I've ever owned

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Has Mossberg ever offered a real walnut stock? Or a forearm that did not crack?

from micko77 wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

from dasmith wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

from bertram wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

Raised on pump guns the 835 always gets the nod for real business.

from beanap wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago