The Russian-Made MTs 28 Semi-Auto Combo Gun

The Gun Nuts

June 17, 2011

The Russian-Made MTs 28 Semi-Auto Combo Gun

By Phil Bourjaily

Combo guns appeal to those who want to be ready to shoot whatever needs shooting, whether it requires a bullet or a shot pattern. Up until now, every combo gun I was aware of was a break action, usually a two-barreled O/U or a three-barreled drilling. Then I found this picture of the Russian-made MTs 28.

It’s a product of KBP Instrument Design Bureau in the arms town of Tula. A “state unitary enterprise,” KBP makes everything from sporting arms to air defense systems. KBP’s subsidiary TsKIB SOO (an abbreviation for the very Russian-named Central Design and Research Bureau of Sporting and Hunting Arms), produces guns, many of them custom, built to a much, much higher degree of fit and finish than the inexpensive Russian imports we are used to seeing here.

But I digress. The MTs 28 is an O/U semiauto, or, more accurately, two semiautos, one on top of the other. The top barrel is a three-shot .22 rimfire (9mm also available on the MTs 27), and the bottom barrel is a two-shot 20 gauge shotgun which appears to be fed by a box magazine. As you can see in the picture, it is a well-decorated, higher grade gun and the only time I have seen anything like it was when Field & Stream hired an artist who didn’t know anything about shotguns to illustrate a story about sporting clays I once wrote.

I don’t know how practical the MTs 28 is, but I would love to shoot one.

Exit question: best squirrel gun ever, or a shining example of why “Central Design” is a bad idea?

from iron giant wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Interesting. I'd like to see how one handles.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Rare find (article) and a darn good one at that Dave!

This rifle/shotgun combo I can see used in many situations, especially in places like Alaska where Grouse (the dumbest bird on the planet) a 22 pistol is plenty good for a head shots while Ptarmigan the 20ga would be needed.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Makes one think what else they're (The Russians) capable of we don't know about?

from Tim Covington wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Depending on how regulations view it, I can see it used for various types of hunting. I can see being out dove hunting and using the 22 on rabbits or squirrels. Or, just using it for rabbit and squirrel hunting. You just choose which to fire based on the situation.

from ableskeever wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Anybody else see the "master key" episode of Sons of Guns?

I like the central design for an every day gun on a ranch

from Brian Jackson wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I wonder what the weight of this is with the dual semi auto actions. I guess the rifle would have to be blowback and the shotgun gas operated or some sort of inertia system?

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Still has the same problems as the breakopen ones has. and lame calibre choices for the rifle..
Mine is much better.... :P

from RJ Arena wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Yea, I saw the Sons of Guns episode with the breaching/entry gun, seemed to me a great system.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Wonder how long before one of these makes it onto "Sons of Guns" for conversion into someting else?

Is good, yes?

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Looks sorta useless to me.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Hummm..sorry boys, I have always viewed these combo guns as the Red haired step children of firearms. Simply put; WHY? I carry a specific gun for a specific hunt. MAYBE these weapons have a survival application? Either way, this kind of smoke pole is not for me.

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

oddly enough me and ne of my budddies came up with a simmaler idia in 7 th grade sicince class. only mine was for fire power. .30-06 over 10 gauge

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

It looks interesting to me. I'd like to see a schematic of how it feeds and fires.

from AJN wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

same here

from jamesti wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

what's the cost of one of those? i think it would be a great small game gun. i also like the way it looks.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

This gun may be the answer to a question that has never been asked,,

from postmodern_barbarian wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I like the concept for a mixed-bag, small game gun. The lesson I learned from my early attempts at hunting alone, with a single-shot, 12 gauge (H&R) shotgun was that sometimes the only shot you get is at sitting game at close range, where a shotgun is too destructive and a .22 is ideal. Other times your best shot is at a moving target where you really need the shotgun.

Of course, the ultimate measure of success for any product is how well it sells, which depends on the needs and subjective preferences of the intended market A repeating rifle / shotgun combination makes a lot of sense for kind of small game hunting that I'm most familiar with. Personally, right now I'm inclined to make do with a Ruger MK II pistol with a 10" barrel, topped with a Leupold 2X pistol scope. But that's just me.

Overall, I think this Central Design and Research Bureau of Sporting and Hunting Arms could be tough competitor even in the American market.

from smokey0347 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Kind of like a souped up Savage Model 24. I like the .22/20 ga. combo. If not, then the .223/20 ga. will work great on Coyotes.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Depending on how much it costs and weighs all ready to go, in 9mm/ 20 ga it could be the best survival gun ever made. In .22/ 20ga., second best.

That gun would have been absolutely ideal for me growing up. On the woods on my grandfather's farm, a small game license gave you the right to shoot rabbits, squirrels, and any varmints you ran into, and that plus a pheasant stamp let you shoot pretty much anything you saw. I owned a .22 and a single shot .20 ga, and always wished I had one when I had the other.

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

That looks like the unholy offspring of a Savage 24 and a Crosman air rifle, conceived one evening in the cramped backseat of a 79 Pontiac Trans Am with The Nuges's 8-track "Free-For-All" endlessly sounding from the Kraco and Jensen Tri-ax's.

So yeah, I kinda like it.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I love it. One of my favorite guns as a youth was a Savage .22/.410 over under. If that thing had been a semi-auto I would never have let it out of my sight. Where can I get one? Who do we need to bribe Phil? EVERYTHING in Russia is for sale...

I mean lots of times we are just taking a walk in the woods and it is not even hunting season. See a flying crow? BOOM the shotgun works fine, thank you very much. Blackbird on a fence post 80 yards away? Why not see if you can hit it off hand with the .22?

from shane wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

The answer to the exit question: Both.

from 007 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

DEP, I realize this is a very broad question, but what is your opinion of Russian manufactured firearms in general, quality, fit, finish, etc? Ditto Turkish firearms? I still don't understand why Remington quit inporting the Spartan/Baikal line. Good shooting.

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

007 -- Good news for you: the Baikal guns are available here again from EAA. The MP 153 is one of the best deals in a waterfowl gun around. As for the quality of Russian and Turkish guns, most of what has been imported here is the cheap stuff, but both countries are capable of making some very good, well finished guns and it's my impression that as US sales become more and more important especially to Turkish makers, the guns are getting better.

from 007 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Sorry for that Phil, I obviously wasn't paying enough attention. Thanks for your answer.

from Thor Odinson wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

So Taurus and S&W both make .45 Long Colt and .410 shotgun handguns (Judge and Govenor). Unless you have to have a long gun.
Then again I thought it was Red Jacket in Louisiana that made that breecher AR15 and 12ga melded together for law enforcement.

from milesdigby wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

About a hundred years ago I thought these were common? .22 above and shotgun under. I know I have seen a lot for sale. Usually a bit pricey but they seem to have always been used a lot. Had that sold through Sears catalog look, which sometimes is Marlin but usually good.

from leej51503 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I think a 30/30 and a 12ga would be a near perfect marriage. 12ga for the pheasants/quail/deer slugs, 30/30 for the coyotes, raccoon and possum....and you could use the 30/30 for the deer in rifle season.....win/win!

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

So yeah, I kinda like it.

from ableskeever wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Anybody else see the "master key" episode of Sons of Guns?

I like the central design for an every day gun on a ranch

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Rare find (article) and a darn good one at that Dave!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Is good, yes?

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Looks sorta useless to me.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

This gun may be the answer to a question that has never been asked,,

from focusfront wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from iron giant wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Interesting. I'd like to see how one handles.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

same here

from jamesti wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from postmodern_barbarian wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from smokey0347 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

The answer to the exit question: Both.

from 007 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago