Reader Question: What Happens if you Lodge a 20 Gauge Shell in a 12 Gauge Barrel?

The Gun Nuts

June 22, 2011

By Phil Bourjaily

Earlier this spring I asked for your questions to answer for a new segment filmed for season two of "The Gun Nuts" TV show on the Outdoor Channel. I promised a Gun Nuts hat to readers whose questions I answered on the air. In this one I’m responding to Pbshooter1217, who asked if a gun really does blow up if you lodge a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge barrel. Thanks. Good question, and here’s the answer in the video above.

The other hat winners are:

Bassmasterking asked, how you know how much to lead a flying target quickly and accurately?

Ableskeever asked, what is the best bang for the buck shotgun, rifle, and pistol?

Jim in MO asked why he shoots side by sides better than other kinds of shotguns Bh10x asked what is the best way to test an O/U to make sure it is still tight enough to shoot. SteveT asked what is the length of a shotstring?

Cdenham asked about whether shooters should shoot from their dominant hand side or dominant eye side if they are cross dominant.

Congratulations to all of you, and I hope you enjoy season two of The Gun Nuts. Contact our webmaster to get your hats. The Gun Nuts premieres Wedneday, June 29 and will be broadcast four times a week: Wednesdays at 5:00pm and 8:00pm; Thursdays at 3:30am; Sundays at 6:30am (all times are EST).

from Mjenkins1 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

The crickets in the background made this video kind of eerie.

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Moral of the story is if you hunt with 2 different caliber/gauge guns, don't carry the 2 different ammos on you at the same time. That's a scary looking barrel!

from Tim Covington wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I enjoyed the crickets. I think to many outdoors related programs try to eliminate the sounds of the outdoors.

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I noticed the nature sounds too...except those aren't crickets. He must be by a pond, 'cause those are frogs.

I will admit, I was hoping to see the explosions in the video, but still a damn good clip Phil.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

You definitely need to get outdoors more! Them's frogs, boy!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yep, frogs alright.

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I think we need a psychiatrist's input here...everyone that commented that the noisemakers were frogs rather than crickets felt the need to "slang it up" including myself.

"'Cause...Them's...Yep."

I guess frogs just have that effect on people. Maybe I'll write the paper and get it published. I could call it Bill Heavey's Syndrome, or just Bill's Syndrome (B.S.)and get famous and get invited to a bunch of cool liberal academic parties.

Nah.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Amflyer,

Just for you:

'Sir, I do believe those sounds are coming from a very common amphibian native to most shallow bodies of water, not a mere insect.'

There is your dose of proper speech and culture for today. Waller in it a spell.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

OK...

The surrounding habit and the modulation of the sound would seem to preclude members of the order Orthoptera
and the family Gryllidae. The class Amphibia and order Anura would be a more logical orgin for the cacophony in the background.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Forgot to add... Take that and run under a root!

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I had a barrel like that that I carried to all of my Hunter Education classes. I acquired the barrel from a fellow that did just what you described. Luckily he didn't get injured just cared the daylights out of him. It made a very good prop for my Hunter education class. I left it with my replacement when I retired so he could show it to his classes. I wish I had kept it so I had it for my classes now.

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

No, that didn't work either. I heard it in my mind's ear spoken in a hillbilly accent. Or was it a blueblood Foghorn Leghorn accent ? Hard to say.

from Joe Wright wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Could be Cicadas, we have them in SE IOWA, this year. They must be a spill over from MO. or Ill. as the cycle for Iowa is not till 2015.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

FROG LEGS TONIGHT!

Gun Blows Up In Face

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yep, tree frogs, the kind that suction cup themselves on my windows sometimes. Pretty dang cute to the grand kids, love looking at them.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Where can I buy a hat?

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Sir Phil

As you know, things at times are not what they are supposed to be.

Next door neighbor had a 03-A3 and said it was a 30-06. So I grabbed a can of 30-06 Ball and we went to shoot it. Blew the windage cap off the scope. Come to find out, it was rechambered in 300 Norma Magnum but resold as a 30-06. Luckily, no injuries, just shaken up.

from pbshooter1217 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks for the hat!

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

correction, 308 Norma Magnum.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Amflyer,

Son, that would be a very, I say very blueblood Foghorn Leghorn...

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Dropping a 28 in a 16, like a 20 in a 12ga?

Never checked if it could happen?

Sir Phil, what's your address, going to send you a pair of sunglasses, that sun looks brutal in the evening!

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"I say let's bury the hatchet boy, but not, I say not in the head that is".

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island. Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is."

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Phil, great idea for the show. Like Buckhunter is there a way to buy the hat? I would purchase one.

On another subject an email came from Beekeeper the other day asking me about an update on Wesley and Jon the 2 young men we helped get started hunting some 2 years ago. I am remiss in that it has been months since we have talked. Well we took care of that yesterday, so here goes. Jon is in the Army at Ft. Hood preparing to deploy to the sandbox. He drives a huge tractor truck that hauls very heavy things like the 60 ton M-1 Abrams tank. That truck is bigger than any truck you will normally see on the highway. Jon still has the gear we gifted to get him started hunting. Wesley is now a Senior in high school and will graduate next Spring(keep in mind he was failing when we got involved in his life). Their mom got a job at the local post office and is now a Rural letter carrier. The word is she loves her job. I can tell you that being a rural letter carrier is hard work that many men can't handle. Wesley can't wait for the fall hunting season. We made plans to ML deer hunt in September. If all goes well maybe there will be some photos to post in a few months. The whole family is still very grateful for all the things you gents have done to help. Sorry I can't remember everyone's name but you know who you are. You should really feel good 'cause you made a big change in the lives of 2 kids. For any new folks on this site you can click my name and peruse the photo files for pics and stories of the boys to bring you up to date. Thanks all and Phil sorry for using your blog.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks for the update Del. I hope Wesley will continue to maintain in the class room. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to mentor the boys.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

...this one really jumped the tracks

from focusfront wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

If that's what happens when a 12 ga. load hits a wad in a barrel, imagine what would happen if it hit a live shell. I wouldn't want to be within fifty yards of anybody firing that.

My worst gun gaffe was to wave around a .22 I KNEW wasn't loaded, to find out that there was still a round in the magazine tube. Never again. To err is human, but to err around guns is lethal. Anybody on this post ever blow up a gun, or seen it done? Anybody ever had a bright idea (like shooting out a barrel obstruction) or know anyone who did?

from white bison wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Well...no one seems to remember...there was such a test
by a noted Gun Expert..using a Winchester Model 59 with the 500 miles of fiberglass thread over a steel liner...and nothing happened! barrel was completely undamaged...this Winchester Model 59 barrel was thus
adjudged to be the strongest shotgun barrel ever made.
Best Regards,
Tom

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Have a friend who was cleaning a 25 ACP that he removed the clip from and KNEW the chamber was empty as he NEVER caries it with the chamber loaded, and then proceeded to almost completely blow off a finger with this unloaded gun.

Did have an M1 Carbine (Universal, not GI) fire while not completely in battery and the bolt blew up, friend who was firing it got a nice cut above his left eye from it. Otherwise no damage or injury.
Replaced the original bolt with a modified GI bolt and the gun worked fine.

BTW if you ever have a similar situation all you need to do is grind off the 'foot' on rear of the firing pin flush with the bolt body and it works just fine, do check headspace though before firing.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I've standardized on 12 ga in part because of a desire to avoid loading a 16 or 20 into a 12 ga chamber. Logistically, it's also easier to have multiple shotguns that can all fire the same rounds, so that I always have ammo available whichever shotgun I decide to use.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Mikey D.

As a kid growing up, I tried to chamber a 16 in my dad's old M12 Win. The round didn't fire so I jacked another round home and jammed my left thumb because the 12 gauge round would "NOT" chamber.
Today's 12 gauge guns with 3" and 3.5" chambers, it's entirely likely that "stop gap" is no longer viable!!! Maybe Phil B. could answer THAT question!

Bubba

from MReeder wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

That barrel's a pretty graphic illustration. We had both 20s and 12s when I was a kid and I remember my dad lecturing about keeping them well apart. Amazing anyone would think it WOULDN'T be a problem, but I've got to admit having one blow up on an unexpelled wad is a new one to me.
Had a hair-raising experience of similar nature antelope hunting in Wyoming one time. A teenager in camp came wandering over asking us how to get the "top" un-stuck out of his rifle, which he was holding, bolt closed, as he approached us. Once we got him to point it straight up and crawled out from behind our Jeep, we finally translated what he was trying to tell us. Seems he had tried to cram an 8X57 cartridge into his '06 and when he finally got it unjammed the bullet ("top") remained in the chamber. He wanted to know if he could shoot it out! We have him the appropriate advice and kept as much distance as we could between him and his group for the duration of the trip.

from MReeder wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Dratted typo bugs again! Meant to say "gave" him advice in prior post, not "have." Obviously Js and Hs need to be kept farther apart, too.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I believe you First Bubba. That's why I made the logistics observation. If all you shoot and buy are shotguns of one particular ga, then you'll never find yourself trying to load a 16 into a 12. You'll always have the right ammo for the shotgun. ;)

I'd consider getting a Savage 24 in something over .410 but that's different. You can't confuse a box of .410 for a box of 12, nor a .410 for a 12 ga round.

from white bison wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I believe it was Nonte or another luminary? who tested
such with the Winchester Model 59...no damage at all.
Stongest barrel ever made for a shotgun.
Best Regards,
Tom

from micko77 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

True confession time. I had an old single-action-bar pump gun that locked shut with one in the tube. Wer were rabbit hunting, and I still had my .22 pistol, so lugged that shotgun around. At one point it tipped over the crook of my elbow into the snow muzzle-first. Swell. What to do? Whittled a crooked stick and, without covering my hand with the muzzzle got as much snow out as possible, turned it upside down and whacked it until I thought I'd gotten all I could out, then stuck it one-handed around an oak tree and touched it off. Peeled it back like a banana for 10-12 inches. Got the op rod silver-soldered, barel shortened to 18 1/2, gave the split to an NRA instructor as a good example of a bad example, and traded the gun for a 40-yr. old Model 15 rusted into the holster--a duty gun from a small village nearby. Now it's ugly, but shoots as well as any of my nice guns. And no more single-bar pumps!

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

FYI -- a 28 gauge shell sticks in a 16 gauge the same way a 20 sticks in a 12.

White Bison -- I had heard that story about the Model 59 but I don't remember either who performed the experiment.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Could it be that the m/59's barrel is not the strongest, but the weakest? The fiberglass and steel expands just enough to let the 20 ga. shell push through the steel liner then retracts probably to close to the original dimensions after the high pressure curve subsided?
I know I can take a model 12 and shoot it into a ball cap and catch every pellet in the cap without putting a single hole in the cap.

from Totenkopf wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

The Guns and Ammo Torture team did this on a show with a benelli. The benelli launched the 20 gauge shell and was not damaged. On youtube you can find a video of 870 remington surviving the 20-12 gauge shell combo. The slide on the 870 does release and the pump is cycled but there is no visible damage to the gun. Both videos do not recommend trying this, but disprove the assumption that your gun will always blow up.

from Totenkopf wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Remington 870

from ZCORR wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I think the 870 survived 'cause its a gun that could somehow shoot rocks.

Great video and a nice reminder that the simple little mistakes can have big consequences.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I thought all 20 gauge shotshells were color-coded yellow.

from Logan C. Adams wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

When I was in hunter safety, I remember seeing a video of exactly what happens in a 12-20 explosion. It was a safety video produced by (I believe) Remington that deliberately set off a 12-20 combo in laboratory conditions with a high-speed camera filming.

The barrel just flew into pieces when it went off. It was very effective at convincing me never to mix my shells.

The same video also set off a shotgun with a heavy load it was not meant to chamber. No obstruction, but the barrel just turned to slivers of flying metal in a heartbeat with even more violence than the 12-20 explosion.

Hey, Remington PR folks who (I would hope) are reading this blog -- you still got that video?

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

OK...

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Amflyer,

Just for you:

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Forgot to add... Take that and run under a root!

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from white bison wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Well...no one seems to remember...there was such a test
adjudged to be the strongest shotgun barrel ever made.
Best Regards,
Tom

from Mjenkins1 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

The crickets in the background made this video kind of eerie.

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Tim Covington wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

You definitely need to get outdoors more! Them's frogs, boy!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Gun Blows Up In Face

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Where can I buy a hat?

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Amflyer,

Son, that would be a very, I say very blueblood Foghorn Leghorn...

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"I say let's bury the hatchet boy, but not, I say not in the head that is".

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

...this one really jumped the tracks

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Mikey D.

Bubba

from MReeder wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from white bison wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I believe it was Nonte or another luminary? who tested
such with the Winchester Model 59...no damage at all.
Stongest barrel ever made for a shotgun.
Best Regards,
Tom

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Sir Phil

As you know, things at times are not what they are supposed to be.

from pbshooter1217 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks for the hat!

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

correction, 308 Norma Magnum.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Dropping a 28 in a 16, like a 20 in a 12ga?

Never checked if it could happen?

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Replaced the original bolt with a modified GI bolt and the gun worked fine.

from MReeder wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from micko77 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

FYI -- a 28 gauge shell sticks in a 16 gauge the same way a 20 sticks in a 12.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Totenkopf wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Totenkopf wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Remington 870

from ZCORR wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I think the 870 survived 'cause its a gun that could somehow shoot rocks.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I thought all 20 gauge shotshells were color-coded yellow.

from Logan C. Adams wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago