Cabela's Interceptor Ultimate Layout Blind: All This and a Cupholder Too

The Gun Nuts

July 14, 2011

Cabela's Interceptor Ultimate Layout Blind: All This and a Cupholder Too

By Phil Bourjaily

No single piece of gear I use has changed waterfowling as much for the better as the layout or laydown blind. Before laydown blinds if you wanted to hunt anywhere with sparse cover (cornfields, the banks of ponds) you either dug a pit or lay in mud or frozen stubble and covered yourself with burlap and decoys.

In 1993 guide Ron Latschaw decided he was sick of staying up late digging pits for the next day’s hunt and invented the laydown blind, a low profile one-person blind that lets you hide in plain sight in perfect comfort. Field hunting immediately became more mobile and more practical. Landowners that didn’t want you digging holes in their fields would let you lay out in them. Since Latchaw’s first Final Approach Eliminator, blinds have gotten better and better, which brings us to the Cabela’s Interceptor Ultimate Layout Blind.

The Interceptor Ultimate is excellent in almost every way. It has a very thick waterproof 1000 denier PVC bottom that extends 10 inches up the sides of the blind to keep water out. That's important, because waterfowling often takes place in wet, mucky conditions and a blind that lets water makes for a miserable experience. On one hunt last fall there was so much water standing in our blinds that when my son dropped a shell, it sank out of sight and he couldn’t find it.

And, the blind has two unique features: it goes together without the need to connect tubing and pin it together. Instead it uses rugged plastic hooks (pictured above) that you snap together, saving skinned knuckles and dropped pins in the dark, and it comes apart in the same way.

Also, it has – are you ready for this? -- an ambidextrous cup holder. There are Velcro patches for the cupholder on the right and left sides of the floor. If you have ever tried to hunt geese and drink coffee simultaneously, you know this is major progress.

It weighs 17 pounds which is lighter than some and heavier than others, and while takes down easily, I would have preferred it to fold up to a slightly smaller size for packing.

Nevertheless, what Ron Latschaw started, Cabela's may have come close to perfecting. $249 cabelas.com

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

That would remind me too much like getting in the dentist chair, and being cranked down..scary to think about it.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Does it have a bracket for a trolling motor?

from CHKILCHII wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I'd probably end up dozing off in it.

from z41 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

The rig would be just a little nicer if: The cup said Browning, I was in it, and there was an incoming flight. :)

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Sir Phil, never used one. How would it work in the middle of a field for deer season?

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

those hooks don't look like they are very secure and may come apart while moving around in it.

from TM wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I understand that Cabela's offers an optional catheter attachment for those who drink too much coffee in the layout blind.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Only the gunfire from adjacent hunters would alert me to incoming geese since I would be sound asleep in minutes..

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Phil and all,
This is no joke but I hunted with a friend -God rest his soul- who had some property in the Mo. flyway. He decided he'd had enough getting wet hunting snow geese so he "purchased" a port-a-potty, buried it in the field and with peep holes cut he'd throw the door open and shoot. He was a character.

from shane wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Part of me gets the concept of having a warm beverage on a cold goose hunt, but most of me is laughing along with all the other old timers at how soft and gear dependent we've become.

from RJ Arena wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Yes we have become gear dependent, but what is wrong with that? I am no longer freezing to death on a hunt, and if it gets more people involved in hunting and shooting, I am for it. Just one question, I like the cup holder, but does it come with a cigar ash tray?

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Clay Cooper -- I know of people who have deer hunted from this kind of blind. The trick would be easing up to shoot without spooking the deer but it is a great way to hide in thin cover.

Jim in Mo -- The Port-a-Potty goose pit is a new one on me, although I once hunted turkeys on a place in Mississippi where all the deer blinds were Port-a-Potties with shooting windows cut in them.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I am a firm believer in advanced technology that enhances the creature comforts of the shooter.

from TM wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from z41 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Does it have a bracket for a trolling motor?

from CHKILCHII wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I'd probably end up dozing off in it.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago