Cali Paterson Colt Revolver Fetches Nearly $1 Million at Auction

The Gun Nuts

September 21, 2011

Cali Paterson Colt Revolver Fetches Nearly $1 Million at Auction

By Editors

The gun recognized as one of the greatest Paterson Colts fetched a record $977,500 at auction in Dallas at Heritage Auctions on Sept. 18, the most a single firearm has ever fetched at open auction. It surpassed the previous record firearm auction price of $920,000, also for a Colt revolver. The buyer of the Paterson Colt was identified only as a “Silicon Valley mogul.”

The entire Cali collection sold extremely well, a testament to collector Al Cali’s eye for quality according to Greg Martin of Greg Martin Auctions. In addition to the Paterson Colt, a pair of revolvers tied for second highest price at the sale at $805,000 apiece, both well above their pre-auction estimates. One was a cased, engraved presentation Model 1861 New Model Navy; the other, a cased ivory-gripped Colt Third Model Dragoon revolver, engraved by Gustave Young and inscribed to “Colonel P.M. Milliken.” The “Thumbprint Walker” brought $690,000.

For details and photos of the Paterson, the 1861 Navy, the Dragoon, the Tumbprint Walker and other amazing items from the Cali Collection, click here or on the photo above.

from Pickaweb wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

this is a big gun! I cant even carry a 45 properly!

Web Hosting
UK Web Hosting
Web Hosting UK

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

WOW!

from Carney wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I had one of those. Sold it at a pawn shop. Kind of wish I'd kept it now...

from Carney wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Just checkin' to see if anyone is really reading the comments...

from RipperIII wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

What are all the other items included in the box?

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I can pick out a spare cylinder, cleaning/obstruction rod, bullet mold, fancy powder flask that looks like it loads all 5 chambers at once, a nipple wrench/takedown tool, and a fancy primer case. And, I assume the key locks the box.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Ooops! I forgot...

The BIG HONKIN' beautiful pistol.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Ouch. I felt dumb because I forgot the pistol. Now I feel dumber because Ripper asked "... other items ...".

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Is that a six-barreled powder flask in the box for chargng all chambers at once?

from PbHead wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Jeff 4066 you did good. WA, I believe this Patterson is a five shooter but you are correct about the multiple charging flask.

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

The guy that bought it obviously has more money than sense! But he will probably take it to another auction.

from Hunter55 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Wonder what the gun brought when it was new, anybody know?

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I saw one of those in a pawn shop many years ago. The asking price was $100, which seemed a bit much at the time.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Just checkin' to see if anyone is still reading the comments...

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I might have bought it if it weren't missing the trigger guard.

from M1jhartman wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Someone asked about a 6 spouted flask for loading all cylinders at once. I think it's interesting to think about "speed reloading" a pitol that has probably never been fired. Somebody thought about it thought when they built that flask.

I wonder how many people have snapped that trigger on this thing.

from M1jhartman wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I wonder how many people have snapped that trigger on this thing.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

That is a late model Patterson. The early ones didn't have a loading lever attached. They are all in .36 Cal.
Nice cased set. However, I think he payed a bit much.
But, as it is said, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

MG

from shane wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

WAM, that multiple chamber powder flask is pretty damn cool, and you probably needed one considering how long it took to get to the point where you could even reload it.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

GREAT GOBS OF GOOSE GREASE!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

To drop almost a million dollars for gun like this, the guy has some serious excess income to play with!?
I think the piece should be on display for all gun nuts to drool over!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

PbHead

If I were more observant, I would have noticed that there were 5 chambers in the spare cylinder.... [:-P

Shane, you are probably right!

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I don't know jack about guns from back in the day, so forgive mine ignorance here if this is obvious... Where's the trigger?

from focusfront wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

It folds forward.

That is a pretty gun. In a world that has people in it who can spend a million bucks on a .36 caliber gun they will never fire, it's no wonder Dave often goes champaign on us in his gun tests.

from shane wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Davy and WAM -

"the 5-shooter had no safety and had to be partially disassembled before it could be loaded. By 1839, some holster model Patersons such as this shell carved ivory-gripped .36 caliber with a 9-inch barrel featured a loading lever.

Note the absence of a trigger guard: The Paterson’s folding trigger dropped down after the hammer was cocked."

Partially disassembled?!? No wonder they carried multiple.

"Hold your fire while I field strip this thing to reload!"

I also read that multi-chamber powder flask thingy put in the charge and the ball.

Old guns are pretty nifty, but I sure wouldn't want one for carry today. Dang.

from RipperIII wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Thanks Jeff4066.
The primer case threw me, didn't think of that.
What vintage is this piece?

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I think it helps to remember that in 1842,almost every gun was a single-shot or double-barreled firearm, and the concept of a repeating firearm was mind-boggling. If anyone thought about prolonged gunfights at all, it was in terms of multiple firearms (the New York reload). Jesse James was known to carry six or more revolvers when on horseback.

from Justin Engelman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Thats a pretty gun, I wish I had one.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Great, another write up of something we can't afford!
;-)

from beavertronic wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

This is definitely a beautiful firearm, but I agree, it should be put on display for all to drool over.

from Carney wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Just checkin' to see if anyone is really reading the comments...

from Pickaweb wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

this is a big gun! I cant even carry a 45 properly!

Web Hosting
UK Web Hosting
Web Hosting UK

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

WOW!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

PbHead

Shane, you are probably right!

from Carney wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I had one of those. Sold it at a pawn shop. Kind of wish I'd kept it now...

from RipperIII wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

What are all the other items included in the box?

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Ooops! I forgot...

The BIG HONKIN' beautiful pistol.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Just checkin' to see if anyone is still reading the comments...

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I might have bought it if it weren't missing the trigger guard.

from M1jhartman wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I wonder how many people have snapped that trigger on this thing.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Nice cased set. However, I think he payed a bit much.
But, as it is said, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

MG

from shane wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

GREAT GOBS OF GOOSE GREASE!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I think the piece should be on display for all gun nuts to drool over!

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

It folds forward.

from shane wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Davy and WAM -

Partially disassembled?!? No wonder they carried multiple.

"Hold your fire while I field strip this thing to reload!"

Old guns are pretty nifty, but I sure wouldn't want one for carry today. Dang.

from RipperIII wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Thanks Jeff4066.
The primer case threw me, didn't think of that.
What vintage is this piece?

from Hunter55 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Wonder what the gun brought when it was new, anybody know?

from M1jhartman wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I wonder how many people have snapped that trigger on this thing.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Justin Engelman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Thats a pretty gun, I wish I had one.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Great, another write up of something we can't afford!
;-)