Video: FPS Russia vs. .44 Magnum vs. S&W .500

The Gun Nuts

October 05, 2011

Video: FPS Russia vs. .44 Magnum vs. S&W .500

By Phil Bourjaily

A while back we talked about relative recoil of the .44 magnum and the S&W .500. Here’s a video on the topic from none other than “FPS Russia,” who has become a viral hit due to his ability to procure all kinds of weaponry (dragon’s breath, mortars, the AA12 shotgun, an APC with a M2 on it) and shoot things while keeping up a foulmouthed running commentary in a fake Russian accent.

At any rate, in this video FPS Russia doesn’t swear much, and the comparison here between the .44 and the .500 is instructive, even though you can’t actually feel the recoil. You can tell that the .500 is louder, and that a bigger fireball comes out of its muzzle.

The most telling indicator of the difference recoil, though, is the size of the two groups. The .500 group is bigger, despite being a five shot group, not a six shot group as with the .44. I would bet the difference is increased shooter error, brought about either by more recoil, or just as likely, a slight flinch in anticipation of all the fire and noise the .500 generates.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

His video's make for good entertainment.

from FOX wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Short of going to alaska or africa I don't think I would use it for more than just freaking out my neighbors. Or to just shut up my frends.

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

What was with the huge fireball on round #4 on the 500?

Odd.

from jjas wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I just wasted 3 minutes and 46 seconds of my life.....

from HammerGun wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I've seen a couple of his videos before, and I'm not all that convinced he's so Russian. The accent, besides being a little fishy, seems to slip a little here and there. I just don't like some of these hipsters trying to hoodwink us all the time.

from 2lb.test wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

to Hammergun: I think the Russian accent is just part of his shtick, I don't think he's actually trying to fool anyone it just adds a little humor. What I'm more interested in is how this guy gets his hands on post-ban full-auto weapons.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I'll just stick with my pet load 250 grain cast with 21.0 grains of 2400 in my Ruger 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk Thank You!

from mountaindew732 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

one of my favorite guys on youtube. he is not russian, he is from new jersey i think lol. But he does manage to get his hands on some amazing guns, and if you can handle the language and enjoy a good explosion, i would recommend watching some of his other videos. There is another video of him with duel S&W 500's. I think it is newer vid and he seems to be much more comfortable with them

from HammerGun wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Sorry for being so crotchety. I'm sure he's hooked in somehow with some ridiculous shop like "Sons of Guns". Probably making a very good living through the sensationalism that so many of the mindless masses buys into.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Long live the Super Blackhawk!!!

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

He's OK. He's usually entertaining; using all the wild weapons he demonstrates.

But if he keeps cocking his revolvers when they're aimed at the ceiling, with his finger inside the trigger guard (if not on the trigger), he's eventually likely to create some perforations in the ceiling!

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Look at his target- isn't that Cookie from The Bozo Show?!

from guyandarifle wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I've got those same pistols. (though my Redhawk is the standard, not the super) The 'Hawk is a pretty big handgun, even in standard form, and soaks up the .44 pretty well. Full house .500 though is another animal entirely. Shorter barreled versions may behave differently but my .500 (the same as used in the vid) really seems to come back AT you really hard. I'm guessing it's a combination of the gun's weight and the downforce of the compensator.

Having said all that the .500 is a ridiculous amount of fun to shoot and, once I got the hang of it, the most accurate handgun I own.

from dickgun wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I did not watch the video. I am not much into that media for my entertainment. Too many phonies.
I, along with Clay, tend to stick with my tried and true. First, a .44 S&W Mag bought in the early 60s. Pretty new issue then as I remember. Took it to Alaska for a personal carry sidearm. Then eventually my friend at Freedom Arms talked me into a .454 Casull - I chose a 4-5/8" barrel so it could be carried in a shoulder rig in my planes. A 300 gr full power load in that weapon is all I need.
It is interesting to watch, although not unprecedented in marketing, how the calibers keep spawning new issues for those who either need the latest biggest and baddest or
think they can gain something from the next big one. I estimate (totally non-scientifically - similar to climate change scientists) that damn few have gained any real benefit from the 50+cal. in handguns.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

2 years ago we had a guy show up a bear camp wielding a .500 S&W, except it had the shorter barrel. i shot it, pretty big handgun lol.

from mike55 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

To proverbs,

I think you meant round #3 for the big fireball, it looked much worse than #4. Maybe you subtracted back from the last round which would have been correct on the .44 w/six rounds. Wonder what caused the big fireball on just one round? Maybe it was the inconsistent "Russian" ammo. Speaking of inconsistent commie ammo, does anyone else remember reading about our Special Forces in Vietnam slipping behind enemy lines and placing one AK, mortar round, etc., in a whole ammo dump that produced on the order of 250,000 PSI. It would blow the poor grunts head off or the whole crew if were a mortar or artillery round. The Chinese made the ammo and it gave them fits trying to figure what went wrong. They went through tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of rounds and shells trying figure it out. They never did because they never placed more than round at a time. The shells and rounds looked identical to the original stuff. Didn't give the troops much confidence in the ammo either!

from Danieldan wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I am still not convinced that this is the most powerful handgun on Earth but I have enjoyed the video.
Daniel from pencilonpaper

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

44 Mag is as much gun as I ever want to fire without a shoulder stock! My pet load is a 300 gr Hornady XTP on top of 296 powder, can't recall the charge weight! Sorry....
Think it's early senility setting in......

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Recoil shots are cool, but I would have preferred to see some terminal ballistic damage to something; Say a cinder block, or pumpkin/watermelon?

from dtownley wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

FA Casull .454 was the most well machined revolver I have fired in all the bbl lengths(a shooting convention in Vegas, they provided guns & ammo). The Rem..44 mag. is satifactory for my use but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Freedom Arm .454 in any bbl length. The .44 has been berry barry good to me, .500 S&W, I don't know ?

from Jimmy Mahuron wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

A friend of mine uses a Handy rifle in .44 Magnum to hunt deer. He uses 21 grains of H110 behind the 265 grain Hornady SP bullet. A hit at 125 yards downed the deer after about a 20 yard run.

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

He actually legally owns most of those guns and the rest, he borrows from other collectors.

from BillCate wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Another caliber, another gun to sell. I'm 78, been around awhile. Does any thinking gun nut like myself think we really need this? Sure we do, as long as someone is willing to buy one.. Got too many guns already. Nobody to leave them to, but got 2 son in laws.Disgusted. Everyone is running around in la la land. Don't comprehend that 2nd amendment is why they have their other rights.

from BillCate wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Coop,
I agree, if it ain't going down with your load, it ain't going down.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I think he is a very good shot to get groups that small in rapid fire with such heavy-recoiling guns. My hat is off to him.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Your right Sir Jim, anything bigger needed use a rifle!

I've witnessed only a very few shooters out of over 200+ who can reliably hit with these hand howitzers!

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

What's with the diamond plate? Adds a bit of unnessecary ringing to the noise from the rounds.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

ohiodeerhunter

I was wondering the same thing myself. If that is his range, it is obviously just for the camera. If someone built it for a real range, there's your dipstick...

from brendanfagan wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

He shoots some cool stuff.

from fromthepeavine wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

This dude's videos crack me up! And as always, have nice day...

from MLH wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

This guys is having way too much fun with the guns and these videos. Bet you can't wipe the smile off his face. The S&W brings a smile to my face but is just way too massive a handgun to be carrying around - might as well be carrying a rifle.

from vmgarcia wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Never shot a S&W .500, I imagine that the flinch/recoil factor would cause site errors and target misses. I own and love my Rueger Vaquero .44 Mag. I am a pretty good shot but sometimes flinch thinking of the recoil.

from Edward Campbell wrote 13 weeks 4 days ago

I can remember back in 1986 in the Marina gun range, beneath Volks Electric Railway, Brighton, UK, standing beside a large guy (a night club bouncer, about 6'4" and 245lbs) wielding a .45 calibre x 6.5" LAR Grizzly Win Mag with a 1" barrel extension and compensator. It was like standing beside someone firing an anti-aircraft gun (in such a confined space). The walls reverberated and the floor shook. I was firing the club's .22 Ruger revolver... It was a very one-sided contest in the noise department. Considering his rapid fire (about 7 rounds in 7 seconds) he managed about a 3-4" group (from 25 yards). Good enough for anything in North America, I imagine (apart from an Orca).

from jjas wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I just wasted 3 minutes and 46 seconds of my life.....

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from mike55 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

To proverbs,

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Coop,
I agree, if it ain't going down with your load, it ain't going down.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

His video's make for good entertainment.

from FOX wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

What was with the huge fireball on round #4 on the 500?

Odd.

from HammerGun wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from 2lb.test wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from mountaindew732 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from HammerGun wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Long live the Super Blackhawk!!!

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

He's OK. He's usually entertaining; using all the wild weapons he demonstrates.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Look at his target- isn't that Cookie from The Bozo Show?!

from guyandarifle wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from dickgun wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Danieldan wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Daniel from pencilonpaper

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Think it's early senility setting in......

from dtownley wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Jimmy Mahuron wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from BillCate wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from BillCate wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Your right Sir Jim, anything bigger needed use a rifle!

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

ohiodeerhunter

from brendanfagan wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

He shoots some cool stuff.

from fromthepeavine wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

This dude's videos crack me up! And as always, have nice day...

from MLH wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago