Rifle Milestone: The Remington Model 700 Celebrates Its 50th Birthday

The Gun Nuts

January 18, 2012

Rifle Milestone: The Remington Model 700 Celebrates Its 50th Birthday

The Remington Model 700 is one of the finest sporting rifles ever made. It debuted 50 years ago chambered for the then new 7 Remington magnum. Check out the commemorative anniversary edition here.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I got me one of them M700s in .35 Whelen, and that with a $1.50 will get me a cup of coffee at most cafe`s

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

That and a $1.75 worth of Trophy Bonded Bear Claw will fill up a freezer with elk meat...

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

My M700 is only 35yrs old. Put a Bell and Carlson stock on it 12yrs ago made it seem like a new rifle. Still got the old classic wood MonteCarlo stock. May just put it back together for the heck of it.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I love my 700 BDL and have killed all the deer I have ever taken with it. But, and I hate to be a stick in the mud, I did have a possible misfire (I'm fairly certain my gloved finger did not touch the triger) and ever since I found out about the trigger problems with the 700's, I've been reluctant to take mine out of the safe until I can get a new trigger for it. And my faith in Remington and the hunting/gun press has taken a serious hit. Other than that, though, it's a sweet, accurate rifle.

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Nothing screams 50 years excellence like impressed "checkering".

Meh..........

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

The clips/commercials are better than nothing, BUT, does anyone else miss the personal comments of Dave and Phil? I'm not as interested in hearing from someone that sounds like a company PR spokesperson as I am in hearing the frank and honest takes of our beloved "crusty curmudgeon". Does anyone else feel this way?

from Oryx wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I hear what you're saying Tom-Tom, but even God took a rest after six days worth...I expect we'll be back to the usual programming after SHOT gets done with and the hangovers subside.

from SL wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Tom-Tom said: "The clips/commercials are better than nothing, BUT, does anyone else miss the personal comments of Dave and Phil?"

Well, you can count Dave out for the first few days at least. He is way too busy chatting with the booth babes to waste his time making video clips for us bums here. LOL

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

If I want to view stuff like this I can just go to Youtube at any time. Wouldn't you think they would have someone sit in for Dave and Phil to write ten minutes worth of comments for us to laugh, make wise cracks, and otherwise complain about? LOL
Urbane_Redneck---great comment

from white bison wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Hmm...why does "Fleur de Lys" checkering, white line spacers, black forend tip make a "Deluxe" Rifle? I think it looks chinzy...like 1950's baroque. I'd rather have the "Classic" look, no black forend tip, wrap around full checkering on the fore end...and grip. its like the marketing geniuses like to dictate what should be good taste, and what cosmetic BS makes a high grade rifle. I
don't buy it. Let the "Fleur de Lys" (Flower of the Lily" stay in france where it is a standard design.
On the positive side, I have a RMEF Commerative Remington 700 in a Realtree camo stock, 26" barrel stainless made by Remington in year 2000...that is in .300 RUM, and will shoot 1/2 inch groups at highest velocity with 200 gr. Accubonds. Some rifle, I won't trade or sell it...so Remington can make excellent rifles. I guess I should lament it doesn't have the frills of this awfully dolled up rifle! Aaargh!
Tom from Cody

from aferraro wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

My 700 in 308 rocks. One shot one kill. Every notice CNCB runs a hit piece on Remington every 6 months about the triggers- total bs and the company can't respond.

from TED FORD wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

The "checkering"?Here, as with the old 1100 shotguns with the plastic finish, we come face to face with the classic oxymoron.

Ralph the Rifleman,just exactly why do you need the buck and half along with .35 Whelen to get that cup of coffee?

Tom,antelope?

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

All my Shotguns 3 and Rifles 4 Are Remingtons, and in allthe years I have owned them I have never has a misfire,or one that did not fire when I wanted it too.

None have needed Repairs. I am happy with them, just want more.

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

What's Remington going to do for an encore? Their 700 tooling is 50 yrs old too, and it shows.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from David Velau wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I bought my M 700/7mm mag when it first came out, I couldn't get ammo it was so new, it shot really well and I had no problems whit it.I hand loaded for it and killed some good bucks.
Think the serial # was around 17,000+, I gave the rifle to my nephew several years ago and he still has it.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Hey, Bee. That stock resembles the one on my .35W only about 50,000 less elk miles! Impressed checkering and all! LOL

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

My 700 was made in 1967 and it has that checkering design. It still shoots very good. I love it.

from RandyMI wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

Ralph, that's about $2.50 per round, isn't it? My .358 Win. in M99 Savage is, too.... Glad I have dies & components!!! :-)

The Remington M700 looks pretty but my Ruger M77 will shoot inside any Remington group I've ever seen, for less money, and doesn't make me whimper with recoil pain while I'm doing it! Probably the best gun this blue-collar guy ever had (although I did just acquire a beautiful Franchi 620 VS 20 ga.)

:-)

from ChevJames wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

My Remington Mountain Rifle in .30/06 will shoot 1/2-inch three-shot groups as long as you don't overly heat up the barrel. If anybody needs 10 shots to nail a deer or sheep or goat, that person needs to give up hunting.

I don't think Remington handled the trigger issue well. Some of the earlier rifles have dangerous triggers. The rifles will fire without the trigger being pulled.

But my "go to" rifle for just about any kind of hunting short of dangerous game will always be this Remington!

from IND_NRA wrote 2 years 3 days ago

The good old 700 saved my a** and well as my buddies a**'s over seas. So when I got out of the Marine corps I have bought many a 700 in every caliber I can get my hands on. I think that we will see this series of rifles get much fan fare the next 50 years as well. Great gun, great company they have done right by me. Keep up the good work, cause you have a lot of friends and we are not afriad to tell you if we see something wrong.

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Nothing screams 50 years excellence like impressed "checkering".

Meh..........

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

None have needed Repairs. I am happy with them, just want more.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago