Good Gear: The Haint Gobble Call

The Gun Nuts

January 10, 2012

Good Gear: The Haint Gobble Call

by Phil Bourjaily

My family does not give me hunting and shooting gear for Christmas, as they believe, incorrectly, that I already have everything. (I don’t, I just have more stuff than I have room for). One thing I didn’t have was a gobble call, but right before Christmas a box showed up from Down n Dirty Outdoors containing a gift bag with the Haint, a gobble call, inside. I don’t use a gobble call and I would have to be careful with it in the public woods I hunt, but that said, the Haint is tremendous fun to fool with. A lot of people send me new turkey calls that are gimmicky and sound bad. The Haint sounds really good with some practice.

It’s a reeded call that requires a “tooka-tooka” breath sort of like a mallard feed call. You have to use a lot of hand pressure to make it sound right, too. I’m still learning, and only about 60% of my gobbles sound good, but when turkey season finally gets here I should be pretty decent with it. Whether I use it much in the woods is a different question, but I’ll have it in my vest.

Hand-shaken gobble calls have been around for a while and most people who use them use them as locators. Down N Dirty is promoting this call as a method of bringing gobblers to the gun by challenging their dominance. There’s no reason it won’t work. It’s exactly the same as the concenpt behind strutter decoys, which have become very popular and successful.

I did see a gobble call work spectacularly in the field once in an afternoon hunt in Texas. My guide hen-called to a pair of Rio gobblers who answered him half-heartedly, but they came on the run when he challenged them with a gobble shaker.

On the other hand, you have to be careful where and when you use a gobble call: as the Haint video shows, it could bring hunters running, too, thinking they’re coming up on a pair of gobblers that turn out instead to be a couple of XXL turkey hunters.

Thoughts on the Haint, and on gobble calling in general?

from FOX wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

You don’t have to tell me twice about the dangers of the call my uncle had a run in with a less than cautious hunter in the fall season. He was unhurt but his two decoys didn’t make it. In that hunters defense he did kill both. But I would have to through up some orange to feel safe using that call on my game lands.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Gobble call too much in the woods and some turkey is liable to blast YOU with a load of 5s and turn you into a "haint"!

from firedawg wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I have turned around and killed several birds, that showed little interest in my calls, until I gobbled at them. I am a firm believer that gobbling at turkeys works as more than just a locator.

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

The use of a gobble call on public land sounds risky to me. I've used one on private land starting about 10am in conjunction with a lonesome hen call, calling sparingly with the former and more with the latter. Lone gobblers seem to hold tight to the brush and call to the hen decoy. Never had one rush right in, likely due to my calling.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I can gobble pretty well on a snuff can call. You use the same tooka, tooka, tooka, method you describe. I have used that ploy on gobblers several times with good result. Then again all may go quiet. It is a good last ditch effort as the sound is natural (if you can do it right) and won't necessarily run something into the next county. Just don't make yourself a target.

Most hunting clubs (private land) have higher hunter density than public lands in my area. Also, don't feel so safe on your private, private land. I've had more than one foolish trespasser come crawling up to my calls claiming to: (A) Have Access, (B) Know or be the owner, or (C) Not realize they came over a barbed wire fence to get there. For some reason the alure of a gobbling turkey might just be able to make the Pope into and outlaw.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago
from 007 wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I carry an old Penns Woods hose with me that I use, mostly as a last resort, as a locator. Past that, I'm not much on gobbling, too many nuts in the woods.

from tom warner wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I have used gobbler calls as locator's with some success and have on occasion had toms actually come to them.
I have also found that with some practice that a pretty realistic gobble can be made with a diaphragm call. Gobbles are just one more weapon in the arsenal. There are few other hunters where I hunt, so I have never had much worry about someone else sneaking in on me. If I had to compete with a lot of other guys I would give it up. Hunting is supposed to be a solitary endeavor, and that would ruin it for me.

from 007 wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

I got to meet the late Ben Lee at a sport show some years back and he was gobbling up a storm on his Widow Maker tube call. I of course bought one and am doing well to get a decent yelp out of it.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

to my knowledge there are no other turkey hunters in my neck of the woods, so i wouldnt be worried about using a gobble call...have never used one, but may possibly pick one up before this spring season.

from FOX wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago