The .50 Cal AR-15 Muzzleloader From CMMG

The Gun Nuts

February 06, 2012

The .50 Cal AR-15 Muzzleloader From CMMG

By Phil Bourjaily

The AR 15 continues to prove its versatility in all kinds of ways – even ways that leave you scratching your head and asking “why?” For instance, I heard about the  AR 15 muzzleloader upper at SHOT and looked in vain for it, finally concluding that it was a Mythical Creature and not a real AR accessory. Since then, I have found these two videos that prove its existence.

And, to give the people at CMMG Inc. credit, the .50 upper is cleverly designed. As you see in the video, the magazine holds extra pellets and bullets for handy reloading, and the gun will handle a three-pellet (150 gr.) load of pyrodex.

Besides the complete lack of traditionality, I don’t have any problem with this, except that you would have to explain why you were carrying an AR 15 during muzzleloader season to any game warden who happened to spot you.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

from Bernie wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

After carrying one in Vietnam for a year, I never have understood the fascination with the AR-15/M-16, whatever one wishes to call it. But a .50 caliber muzzleloader in this rifle...that is completely nuts!

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I'm sure you could build an upper for any round you want and some folks will love this and sing its praises. Not me, I think this is just silliness.

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

U_R

PS next time you find yourself typing "traditionality", take the dog for a walk ;>)

from SL wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Oh my God. What else will they think of?? Maybe they can come up with a butt wiping attachment for the AR15 platform. Put some sort of attachment to where the magazine is usually attached and just swing the rifle over your shoulder towards your butt and it can do the trick without you having to reach back with your hand. Unbelievable. I have never seen the gun industry look as stupid as it is looking right now.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

That is really a stretch. What other junk will they come up with for the AR Platform?

from PbHead wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I guess some have not seen the crossbow upper.

BTW, where's Dave? Was he kidnapped by Booth Babes in Vegas and is too shocked to write a ransom note? Is he in cahoots with these guys coming up with new uses for the AR platform? Could he be hunting south of the equator? Is he moonlighting writing St. Valentine's day poetry for Hallmark? We want to know.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

This is about as usefull as teets on a boar hog!

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

For some reason I can't stop my eye from twitching!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Who dreams up this goofy stuff? They need to take up something really productive like butterfly collecting.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Oh goodies. More Craptical Gear. Yay.

I do enjoy the thought of someone dishing out round after round of 250+ grain ammo in front of 150 grains of Pyrodex. Prolly leave that thing in pieces in no time at all.

Wonder if they pressure test each bbl or what the proof mark is for it?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Phil,

Did Petzal put you up to posting this under your name or did he get the Internet Hall Monitor to stick your name on it without your knowledge?

from Longhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

When I commented on the Mossbergs tactical model 94, I thought I had seen everything. Well, that was pretty naive on my part. An AR muzzeloader? Now I have seen everything. The horror ...the horror.

from fitch270 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

What no smoke suppressor?

from Carney wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I guess it takes something like this to get everyone on here to agree to the stupidity of some crap. I thought the whole "Zombie" craze would do it but instead we have to stoop this kind of idiocy.

But then there's Urbane__Redneck. Who even knows what he means.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Watch a fly rod upper will be next followed by multiple golf club uppers.

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Personally, I only wish the makers would roll out an AR in 6.5 Grendel, or whatever its name will finally be now that it's been SAAMI legitimized, and make it the standard NATO rifle round. (I think even the Brits will support this move, they're still smarting over the loss of their 7x43 back in the '50's, and will see the Grendel as its reincarnation).

from JackB wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I have never understood the AR-15/AR-10 craze. I don't care for the gun. As far as I am concerned its a gun for mall ninjas.

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I can see the game warden shaking his head as he writes the ticket or confiscates the weapon in my WMA muzzleloader only area asking where the upper that I was actually hunting with is hidden and WTF was I thinkin' ??!!

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

BTW that barrel LOOKS awful THIN!

from Mac in Mo wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I don't even have any desire to own an inline, however, this is no more ridiculous than the Savage inline that uses smokeless powder. A lot of the inlines cannot be told from a regular bolt rifle, so what is the difference? Just because this one uses an EBR platform. I will stick with my sidelocks, but I can see where a guy who likes the AR's might want one of these. OK, flame away.

Kevin

from chuckles wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Reminds me of the old Sat. Night Live skit where they had
"the dessert topping that's also a floor wax!"

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

It seems to me, the Gun Nuts have studiously ignored muzzleloading rifles. That AR thing, while cute and testament to the cleverality of us Americans, is just not what I hoped to see.

U_R

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

UR -- isn't "traditionality" a word? If not, it is now.
Dave doesn't shoot muzzleloaders as far as I know. I have killed only a very few deer and turkeys and one antelope with muzzleloaders. However if I can find a way to get more muzzleloading into the blog, I will.

Beekeeper - the goofiest accessory I have seen for the AR so far is the crossbow upper half.

from nc30-06 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

How about going back and making an M-14 muzzle-loader or an 1903 Springfield muzzle-loader. See how stupid this kind of thing is?

from Oryx wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

The crossbow upper would bring about some interesting legal issues in my neck of the woods. You would be legal as far as using the crossbow (whatever...) for archery season, but you would be using the lower receiver of an AR, which is considered a firearm being the serial numbered part. So would you be archery hunting with a firearm? (Do I really care?)

Sounds like a case for the ACLU, or UCLA, or PTA or someone.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I'm all for more muzzleloader info and all and not opposed to any post previewing new shooting and hunting gear. The article is not ridiculous, the weapon is!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Phil,

Now you have gone and done it. I have to see the crossbow upper, please do a thread on it. I need an uncontrolled belly laugh!

I too would liike to see more muzzleloader reviews and articles on the realistic and practical. Maybe even "encourage" Dave to shoot one.

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

The dearth of muzzleloader coverage both here and in the magazine has always been puzzling. I can appreciate an oldster like Petzal not wanting to waste the time he has left with additional loading and cleaning steps, but, muzzleloaders are so popular even Melvin Forbes makes one .

Phil- "traditionality" is a word, just not a favorite of mine.

On the other hand, "cleverality" is my contribution to the lexicon, you may use it when it fits ;>)

U_R

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

From an ATF pov the basic receiver is their jurisdiction. From a G&F pov the means of propulsion are their jurisdiction. Thus in most states the xbow married to the AR platform receiver probably doesn't make it a firearm.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from okduckhunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I had to look up the AR crossbow upper, I was in disbelief. Turns out it does exist and you can buy and entire AR for what the crossbow upper costs. As for the muzzleloader upper, well, I'll stick to my t/c.

from Canadian Lurker wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

The Pod People got Dave?

from Canadian Lurker wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Too bad, I was warming up to the curmudgeonly old fart.

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

OH MAH GAWD!

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I found the AR Crowbow. AARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

They call it a GizMODO, I think Giz MOFO yould be appropriate!

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

WOULD sorry.

from wingshooter54 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

During a Gunsite long gun training course a sheriff with a Winchester model 94 cleaned up the course. Everyone else had an AR platform rifle and they all got their asses whipped by the old lever gun.......

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

@okduckhunter,

yes, the upper is by PSE, I think.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Is there a contest for stupidest AR upper going on?
First a crossbow and now this.......

Is there going to be a slingshot upper brought out soon too?

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Hopefully they come out with a shovel upper so the owner can bury the gahstly ugly thing when they realize what a inferior gun they have purchased! I've often wondered why manufacturers haven't came out with one with a long action so we hunters can shoot .270 30-06 .280 etc. instead of being limited to short action calibers and pistol rounds, must be the design can't handle the pressures generated by true big game rounds!

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Well, Walt, I agree, but Remington has an AR type semi-auto in .308. That's a "real" big game round at least as far as any animal in North America goes.

Anyhow, as I like to point out, an AR-15 style semi-auto is just an M1 Garand with a bigger attitude problem and a smaller d1ck.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

@Zermoid -- I'm waiting for the "rail gun upper."

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

When's the muzzle loader conversion coming out for the Kalashnikov?

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I think it stupid, I use a Halken .50 because it looks like and is a Muzzle loader. Not a modern plastic unit.

from JohnR wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

@ Walt, COBB Manufacturing, a maker of small arms, has a long action AR rifle in 30-06. To date I believe they are the only company that manufactures one in 30-06.
It is a bit pricey too being the only child it is.
As much as I like the AR platform in its many calibers, the crossbow and muzzle loader is a bit over the top for even me.
In reality, a flat top AR with a scope and 5 round magazine, in .243 or .308 is no different except cosmetically than any other semi-auto hunting rifle.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I was one of those who was a bit slow to come around and accept the AR's for hunting, but after the firing of a famous hunting writer over the issue and his repentance, I took a closer look and realized that the history of hunting rifles closely follows the history of military weapons. So who was I to say an AR platform is inappropriate for hunting. They make great varmint guns even if they aren't very pretty. But...I think this new use as a muzzleloader is just some AR nuts desperately trying to fob AR acceptance in every corner of the rifle world and is pretty ridiculous.

from wp wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I'm not sure how practical this idea is since you can buy a decent inline muzzleloader for far less than any AR upper that I have seen. However, if this gimmicky product gets a few more people to take up hunting, I don't see the downside.

from khoff5190 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Personally it looks inconvenient bulky and not real practical especially with the .223 primer system.

from Miltonmillshunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

If they keep adding technology to the muskets we won't have a special season for the blackpowder. I dont see the advantage of buying one gun with multiple uppers at $1000 apiece over different guns with its own special purpose,

from roboknee30 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I have to say that this mussle loader upper is strange and not the best solution for a high tech muzzle loader. However, it is great to see this kind of creativity coming out of the fire arms industry. This is defininately not for everyone, but it is nice to see the industry pushing the limits again allowing for shooters to have all kinds of different experiences. The desire for that experience can be seen through the attendance (both exibitors and participants) at Shot Show this year.

from Mitch Nichols wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

If it was in production and I had the financial wherewithal for it, I'd buy it. I don't care what the firearm is, I would never make disparaging remarks about one to a public forum. I might not care for a certain one and not buy, but I'd never talk bad about it.

from THEMOOSE wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I'd have half the county and state dnr on my butt if I dropped by state land with that thing in hand. "Sorry officer it's just a muzzle loader with a few modifications!"
On a serious note these so called black rifles have been under a lot of attack by politicians and media. So I support them in legitimizing their product and jumping in bed with the rest of us. In the end we are all on the same team. Team Browning, Ruger, Why, Rem, AR and so on. Good for them and I'll laugh if I see one but will be glad someone has made a connection with our hunting and shooting heritage with adequate caliber for hunting and not a pee shooter.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

from SL wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from fitch270 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

What no smoke suppressor?

from Bernie wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I guess some have not seen the crossbow upper.

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

UR -- isn't "traditionality" a word? If not, it is now.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

This is about as usefull as teets on a boar hog!

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

For some reason I can't stop my eye from twitching!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Oh goodies. More Craptical Gear. Yay.

Wonder if they pressure test each bbl or what the proof mark is for it?

from Carney wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

But then there's Urbane__Redneck. Who even knows what he means.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Watch a fly rod upper will be next followed by multiple golf club uppers.

from chuckles wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Reminds me of the old Sat. Night Live skit where they had
"the dessert topping that's also a floor wax!"

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

U_R

from Oryx wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Sounds like a case for the ACLU, or UCLA, or PTA or someone.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Phil- "traditionality" is a word, just not a favorite of mine.

U_R

from wingshooter54 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Phil,

from Longhunter wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from JackB wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

BTW that barrel LOOKS awful THIN!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Phil,

from okduckhunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

@Zermoid -- I'm waiting for the "rail gun upper."

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

U_R

from Mac in Mo wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Kevin

from nc30-06 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Canadian Lurker wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

The Pod People got Dave?

from Canadian Lurker wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Too bad, I was warming up to the curmudgeonly old fart.

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

They call it a GizMODO, I think Giz MOFO yould be appropriate!

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

@okduckhunter,

yes, the upper is by PSE, I think.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

Is there a contest for stupidest AR upper going on?
First a crossbow and now this.......

Is there going to be a slingshot upper brought out soon too?

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

When's the muzzle loader conversion coming out for the Kalashnikov?

from JohnR wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

It is a bit pricey too being the only child it is.

from wp wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from khoff5190 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Miltonmillshunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from roboknee30 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

OH MAH GAWD!

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I found the AR Crowbow. AARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago