Shotgun Tip: The Right Way to Shoot a Double

The Gun Nuts

February 29, 2012

Shotgun Tip: The Right Way to Shoot a Double

by Phil Bourjaily

This video shows the right and wrong way to shoot a double. As I say in the narration, the best way to shoot a double is to choose your first target wisely. Pick a bird to shoot that leaves you in the right place to take the second shot.

With the geese in the video, there’s a bottom and top bird. If you shoot the bottom bird first, the second one is in clear view and it’s an easy move up to it to complete the double. Sometimes when there are two birds--one behind the other--it’s easier to swing through the second bird and keep moving the gun to the leader. Do it the wrong way, as in the sea duck video, and your first shot blocks your view of the second, making it much more difficult.

That said, I am being unfair to the shooter in the sea duck video. Although he puts his gun in the wrong place for the double, he does the right thing in taking the easy bird first. Then, when it folds obviously dead, he tries for a second.

The difference is, the first hunt is in a cornfield where cripples are easy to catch, the second is on open water where even power boats and retrievers are no guarantee you will recover a crippled duck, much less two crippled ducks at once. Part of planning a double is knowing when not to shoot one.

from Big Country wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

This is good advice. I hope to try my hand at duck hunting next season so I'm looking at all the duck hunting stuff I can find.
Thanks for the good advice

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I thought this story was about the right way to shoot a Double shotgun, not the way to make a Double shot??

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

This should wor on true pairs in sporting clays. I can't wait to try it!

from plinkster wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

This was supposed to be about how to shoot a double gun not how to take two birds with two shots

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

The right way to shoot a double?
Mount it correctly, swing through your target while pulling the trigger when you're on the target and then repeat with the other barrel!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Good advice Phil; worked the same way on shooting Pats, and Grouse, In ND. Can't HIT what ya can't SEE!

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

On mark recovering cripples in the water. If there's any wave action it's all more difficult.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

The phrase 'obviously dead' should not be used in the same article when writing about shooting ducks, especially sea ducks or divers in general, with steel shot.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

I never even think about getting a double. I never expect to get more than one goose from any that come in to my deeks. I concentrate ONLY on taking the goose I have picked out in my head.

The goose scenario above was ideal. When they're floating in it's often difficult to tell who's in front and who is not. And their placement changes from split second to split second. By the time the hunter tries to figure out which is first or above or below at any given moment, he's liable to mess up everything altogether. This would especially be true with divers and teal cruising the deeks. Gad, those little teal are wobbling all over the place when they come in. Anybody dumb enought to try figuring out relative placement of those little acrobats is going to be left with a cold gun and a red face. I let my mind pick the bird randomly and then concentrate on taking it out. If I get a second shot at another after knocking it down, fine. If not, no big deal. I'm never in any big hurry to fill my bag limit.

from Serious Birdman wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Couple different ways to take this. I think the result is right, but not the description. In the first case, it's easier to take any bird that is descending slower so the lower one is the right one to take first, plus you want the shot to go up. In the second case, you want to make one swing, not 3 -- so take the rear-most bird first. Don't shoot the first one then swing back the other way to the others, then swing back again to catch up. But the bottom line is one good shot is better than two marginal ones.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Big Country wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks for the good advice

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

This should wor on true pairs in sporting clays. I can't wait to try it!

from plinkster wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

The right way to shoot a double?

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago