Good Gun Gear: Remington Bore Squeeg-E

The Gun Nuts

February 23, 2012

Good Gun Gear: Remington Bore Squeeg-E

By Phil Bourjaily

To segue from my previous post about movies back to shotguns via paraphrase: “Patches? We don’t need no patches!”*

That would be the motto of Remington’s new Bore Squeeg-E. As you can see in the picture, it’s a rubber bore cleaner that attaches to a pull-through cable. According to Remington’s claims for it, the Squeeg-E does in one pass what it used to take several cloth patches to accomplish and it cuts down on the need for brushes, too.

I am all for anything that lets me clean guns less so I gave my Browning Cynergy and a couple of revolvers the one-pull Squeeg-E test. They came out literally (thing makes a squealing noise as it goes through the bore) squeaky clean. They Cynergy had been fairly dirty, the revolvers were not, but as far as I could tell the Squee-G got down into the rifling as advertised and left it shiny. The shotgun's bores were very clean, too.

The Squeeg-Es are made of a proprietary material that is supposed to resist cleaning chemicals. Obviously I haven’t had a chance to see how long it lasts yet and I don’t know if it will replace patches but it’s an intriguing idea.

Mine came in a Bushmaster pull-through cleaning kit that has Squeeg-Es for all calibers. You can also buy them individually for a couple of bucks. I’d be curious to hear what those of you who have tried them on very dirty rifles have to say.

*in the days before Google and Youtube I would have asked if someone could name the actor and the film. Now the answer is too easy to find even if you never saw the movie. By the way, like “Play it again, Sam,” “We don’t need no stinking badges” is, strictly speaking, a misquote, but perhaps an improvement on the original line.

from jjas wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I wondered how well these things would work. Thanks for the report.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Did you run a patch through afterward to see how dirty it came out? That, to me, would be good evidence.

from Hil wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

How does it compare to the cleaning performance of a Bore Snake?

from focusfront wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

This is a GOOD idea.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

To play fair, it was from Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but I have no idea what the guy's name was.

Thanks for the report.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Ditto DavyCrockettfv's comment. Maybe you can give it a try and post a reply.

The product is worth a try anyway since it's so inexpensive.

from PbHead wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Phil: This looks like a good idea. A couple of questions, are they color coded for gauge, caliber etc. and do you have to clean them after use?

from Carney wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I'd like to try it!

FYI, Hil: the bore snake is pretty much worthless for real cleaning.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I have 3 shotguns that need to be cleaned right now. I was going to pull out the Tico Tool which works pretty well on smooth bores (provided you clean the Tool every once in a while). But maybe I'll try a Bore Squeeg-E. Anything to make the job easier and more thorough.

from RJ Arena wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Will this work with the otis system cables? I liked the version of the line in "Blazing saddles"

from REM7400 wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Looks just like the tools paintballers have used for years. You carry one on the end of a cable for clearing broken paintballs during the action.

from vatxhunter wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I sure would like to see you blog about this again after about a month after some have used it to get feedback.

from hunterxphile wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

You know, we used these things for years in paintball back from '95 or so - .68 caliber squeegees. Used them quite a few times on my 12 gauge shotguns just as a quick pull through clean.

from ekonerding wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

The bandit in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is billed in the movie only as "Gold Hat". He says "I don't have to show you any stinking badges" in the novel, and pretty much that in the movie too. As ads used to say: "See the movie; read the book." Both are masterpieces!

from hansaskatoon wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

His name was Alfonso Bedoya

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

hansakatoon: That´s right, Alfonso "Indio" Bedoya, was a Mexican actor, appeared in a whole lot of Mexican and American movies, usually in secondary roles. I only saw The Treasure once in TCM, and don´t remember that line nor knew it was that famous. I remember about the bandit that requested to have his hat on before being shot by the Army, though. I wonder if that was him.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Who the hell cleans shotgun barrels anyway (aside from the chamber and keeping oil on the choke tube)?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

RES1956

Good question! Great job for a Bore Snake!

from hansaskatoon wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Ricardo - I believe so; I would die to have that sombrero! I saw the film at a festival in San Francisco, back in the late 60s. John Houston directed; his father, Walter, played the old prospector who actually knew what he was doing.

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

just a what if, what happens if the cable breaks and the sqeegee gets stuck.
I thought the "no stinking badges" line was in BLAZING SADDLES...the most anti PC movie ever made..of course it was made before PC meant politically correct..now it doesn't just offend anyone, it offends everyone..but still funniest movie ever made.

from crowman wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Will it take out plastic wad residue? I agree that after you use it run a wet patch through and see what it may have left.

from Urbane_Redneck wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

Yawn..... half a paper towel wadded up and pushed through the bore with a 1/2" dowel absorbs the muck while it squeegees. Clean barrel, clean bench, clean hands.

U_R

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I agree with the ealier comment -- would love to hear from folks who have tried this product on rifles and shotguns. Also, ditto the comment on the Tico tool -- very easy to use for shotgun cleaning, although I've found with my Mossberg 835 that I occasionally need to use solvent and patches, as the bore appears to have a parkerized-type finish that will hold power residue.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from Hil wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

How does it compare to the cleaning performance of a Bore Snake?

from jjas wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I wondered how well these things would work. Thanks for the report.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

This is a GOOD idea.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks for the report.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Ditto DavyCrockettfv's comment. Maybe you can give it a try and post a reply.

The product is worth a try anyway since it's so inexpensive.

from PbHead wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

I'd like to try it!

FYI, Hil: the bore snake is pretty much worthless for real cleaning.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from REM7400 wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from vatxhunter wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from hunterxphile wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from ekonerding wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from hansaskatoon wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

His name was Alfonso Bedoya

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

RES1956

Good question! Great job for a Bore Snake!

from hansaskatoon wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

just a what if, what happens if the cable breaks and the sqeegee gets stuck.

from crowman wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago