A Call for Shotgun Questions

The Gun Nuts

March 22, 2012

A Call for Shotgun Questions

By Phil Bourjaily

Season III of “The Gun Nuts” is in production. As you can see from the video, on one episode our intrepid traveling host/reporter Eddie Nickens goes deep inside the Remington factory to learn its innermost secrets.  Can Eddie hit the 200 yard target without glancing a few shots off the tunnel walls? Tune in to find out. It is going to be a fun season.

We will be introducing some new segments and bringing back some favorites, including reader questions. Once again I need you to send me your shotgun questions.

Those readers whose questions I answer on the air will again receive the extremely spiffy and hard to come by Gun Nuts hats Eddie, Dave and I wear on the show. Winning questions will be those that:

a.) I know the answer to
b.) Make for good TV

Let’s have them, and thanks in advance for helping out with Season III.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What possible advantage to the wingshooter would be derived from two beads on a shotgun as opposed to just one at the muzzle (the other one being on the rib nearer the chamber)? I think I know the answer to that one.

from s-kfry wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I don't konw about the rest of you but when I clicked on the video it started with an endorsement to Winchester before moving over to the Remington clip. Hmm.... not sure which company will be more uncomfortable about that pairing.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Tell me, in your opinion, if extended chokes perform better than the shorter, internal chokes. Make a comment on your thoughts regarding "porting" a shotgun. Does it reduce kick? Are their any pluses for porting? And does extending the cone area of the barrel accomplish anything, or is it all marmeting hype?

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

There has been a lot of popularity as far as home defense shotguns go and I found myself wondering the other day, would “T-Shot” or #4 Buck be properly suited to home defense in an apartment of multiplex style building? Over penetration is my concern since maximum shot distance would be 30ft or so. But would the “T-Shot” or #4 buck be effective in stopping the threat?

from E_Blair wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Are the A.H. Fox guns made by Connecticut Shotgun Mfg. Co. as good as the old guns? Old bird gun owners want to know!

from cuz wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Ive been looking for a well balanced O/U field gun in the 1500- 2000 range. Why are some these guns so muzzle heavy. I would like a newer gun w/ chrome lined barrels to beat you to the superposed answer.

from 7.5x55 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What is the best way to teach a rifle shooter not to "aim" a shotgun? Keep up the great work on the show! I look forward to it every week and it gets me excited to go the range more often.

from PbHead wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Why should I put a sling on my shotgun? Would doing so make me look too European?

from Matthew Ribe wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I went sporting clay shooting the other day with my friend and his dad, and it was a LOT of fun. The only thing is that we used my friend's dad's shotguns, and they are the quite expensive over/under variety. That led me to wonder: what would you be missing out on if you bought a more bargain priced over/under?

But, more interestingly (especially for TV): how viable would it be to go sporting clay shooting with a pump-action? The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are often mentioned as great shotguns that won't break the bank, and of course are great in other applications such as home defense. But will the pump action throw you off too much when shooting at clays?

from pbshooter1217 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

You can talk about the importance of having a shotgun that fits and what are some products you can buy to make your shotgun fit you better. Different recoil pads, cheek pads, things like that...

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Would a 12ga "dragon's breath" incendiary round set an approaching Zombie Hoard on fire? Preppers have a serious need to know....

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

How about a single shot turkey gun with all the bells and whistles. you usually only get one shot and if it takes more you aren't hunting.

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

vent ribs or straight barrels. any advantage?

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Tang or trigger safety. which works better and is safer.

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Phil,
I would love to be the talking head answering some of these questions! But then that would just be my opinion based on experience.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

what are the advantages and disadvantages of different sighting systems, from no-bead or one-bead, thru TruGlo type light gathering systems, to holo dots and other electronic sights. obviously, most of these are probably not for wingshooting, but I know all have been tried. besides, shotguns are used for more than just wingshooting.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

head-to-head comparisons of some of the more recently introduced shotguns. I guess that might cause problems with sponsors but you wouldn't have to actually say which gun is better, just compare and contrast.

from streack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What are a few exercises to help a person with cross dominance issues learn to shoot with consistancy from their dominate shoulder?

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Phil, in your opinion, what characteristics does it take to make a shotgun "A Classic"? Many of today's models seem to be the "new and improved" version while others are still made virtually the same as they were many years ago. Is there a common denominator across pumps, side-by-sides, over/unders, auto's and single shots?

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

In a segment titled "Why Phil has such a healthy respect for a shotgun", take a standard 2 & 3/4 12 ga. load of 1oz. of 6's or 8's, and show the consequences of an accidental discharge. At a close range, shoot a 12oz full pop can, followed in irder by a 2 liter bottle, a gallon jug and a five gallon bucket. Then move on up to a concrete building block and finish with a gelatin mold to show depth of penetration, as with a human. The ending line could be "And now you know why safety is always the Number One concern of today's shooter and hunter". I believe that would make for "good TV".

from -Bob wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I've seen this happen at the range now twice, and think it might make a good episode -- what happens when you fire a load of buckshot through a rifled shotgun barrel?

from Joe Flyrod wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Phil:

Why do most (but not all) shells loaded for target shooting have 8-point crimps, while most hunting loads use a 6-point crimp? Does the 8-point crimp help to produce a better pattern?

from Anhinga wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Discuss shotshell components; wads, hulls, powders, velocity, and shot sizes in relation to conventional shotgun choke designations and shot pattern.

from rigajames wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

With shotguns like the old Winchester Model 50, the Remington 1100, and the Browning Citoris, am I able to use steel shot in any of these shotguns, or do I have to buy a new gun for duck hunting?

from rigajames wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What do shotgun manufacturers do to ensure that their over and under shotguns shoot where you point in both barrels? Which brands are known for consistency in 40 yard barrel convergence? I have heard rumors that Citori shotguns shoot where you aim and for some time Beretta shotguns have had issues, is this true?

from hengst wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What are the various things that cause a choke tube to seize in the barrel and what is the best way to remove said choke tube. We know rust is one culprit but there are others.

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Why do states require a 3 shell plug and you can load a rifle to the hilt.

from JohnR wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

How about exposing the long shotgun barrel myth? I am a firm believer that one does not need a 32 inch barrel to reach out and touch the birds.
I will concede however that a longer barrel makes a better sighting plane and therefore increases the accuracy potential for the shooter.
As far as long barrels are concerned, I kill geese just as far w/my 24" barrel Browning as the other guys do w/longer barrels. It would be an interesting comparison provided that the testers used the same brand and model shotgun with different length barrels.

from tach0412 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Is it worth paying a premium for premium loads for pheasant hunting, like $19/box instead of $10/box type shells? How does steel compare to lead for pheasant hunting, I've never tried steel.

from deadeyedick wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

HOW ABOUT THE RIGHT WAY TO PATTERN A SHOTGUN AND THINGS THE AVERAGE PERSON CAN TO DO TO IMPROVE POINT OF AIM. PERHAPS SOME INFO ABOUT SLUGS OR IS THAT DAVE P. AREA OF EXPERTISE

from hutter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Talk about how there is realy no such thing as a shot string.

from Wolfjaw wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Why is there scant interest in improving the sixteen guage shot shell and manufacturing a balanced platform for this worthy shotshell.

from msconnors wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Why don't we see mixed-shot size shells? Like 7.5s, 8s, and 9s or 4-5-6 all in one shell. Seems like it would satisfy the problems with variations in distances to your quarry, whether it be ducks or clays.

from springerman3 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

A segment about the Model 12 would seem in order as we celebrate the 100 year anniversary of this American classic. I have one in 20 gauge, produced in 1913. Not pretty as it was heavily used & abused by my grandfather........

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Pro's and con's of over and unders verses side by sides?
I'mm begining to like my side by side more.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Please expose the flaw about buying aftermarket choke tubes without first getting a true bore diameter and matching the tubes to the barrel.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I'm with buckstopper. Some answers can be based on fact and other purely opinion

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

msconors,
They do make a shell exactly as you describe in steel shot; it's called Winchester Xpert,,,

from streack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from 7.5x55 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Matthew Ribe wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

vent ribs or straight barrels. any advantage?

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Tang or trigger safety. which works better and is safer.

from buckstopper wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Phil,

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from -Bob wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Joe Flyrod wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Phil:

from Anhinga wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from rigajames wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from rigajames wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from chaslee wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Why do states require a 3 shell plug and you can load a rifle to the hilt.

from JohnR wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from tach0412 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Talk about how there is realy no such thing as a shot string.

from Wolfjaw wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from msconnors wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from springerman3 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Pro's and con's of over and unders verses side by sides?
I'mm begining to like my side by side more.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago