A Double-Barrel 1911...Yes, It's a Real Pistol Called the Arsenal Firearms 2011-A1

The Gun Nuts

March 15, 2012

By Phil Bourjaily

No, years of cumulative recoil are not making you see double (well, maybe it is, but then you would see a 1911 with four barrels).  This is a double-barreled 1911. It not only exists in the video below, it was recently displayed at IWA, the European SHOT Show, by Arsenal Fireams of Italy.

It has what looks like a one-piece double slide, a double hammer, and, apparently, two triggers, either of which trips the hammer. The magazine, as you see in the video, seems to be double, too.

If you had very large hands, didn’t mind recoil, and believed that anything worth shooting was worth shooting twice, this would be your gun.

Otherwise outside of “John Woo action movie prop,”  I don’t know what future I see for the 2011-A1. I would like to shoot one once, though.

I cannot wait to read your reactions.

from Jake Luangrath wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I want TWO!!

from stickbow wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

guess if you're the type that gets bored with one gun you could always saw it in half... some people have way too much time on their hands... definitely a cool gun though

from Whackdaddy wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I agree with Jake. One on each hip.

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Who let "HITMAN" out of the nursing home?

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I already have a 1911 for each hand so I don't need this one (or is it two?).

from ILBassin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

what is the price on one of these cause i want one

from fezzant wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

As long as they're at it, why not weld the whole thing onto the top rail of an AR?

from Douglas wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Neat. I wish my A5 Browning was a double barrel. Now that would send some payload down range.

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I think dual welding two 1911's is a better option! Cool looking weapon though

from Oryx wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

In a world that has "Twilight" and Snooki, is it really any wonder?

I really think tqat the promotional video would have been better if they had hired Will Ferrell to do the shooting part. Maybe in "RickyBobby" mode.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

First of all, cool.

Second, this gun probably has monster stopping power. Two hits are a lot better than one. This is a gun with a built-in double tap.

Third, what does the thing weigh? If it is, as it appears to be, two .45s welded together, then it has to weigh about eighty ounces dry; five pounds, plus almost another pound when loaded= six pounds. And it has to be about 2 1/2 inches thick. Try that out in your Milt Sparks Summer Special. It's a bigger, heavier package overall than Magnum Research Desert Eagle in .50 AE, and two .45's together are about 2/3 as powerful as one round from the .50 AE.

Fourth, they've just at least doubled the likelihood of a jam.

Fifth, the .45 auto needs no help. If they could have found a way to make this gun in .22 WMR or .32 or .380, and make it small enough for holster or IWB, they'd have had something that could compete with my little .40 S&W Kahr.

Sixth, it's cool.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Goofy. And, it probably feels awkward to grip. Look at how thick it is... better have some manly man-hands, men.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

After he shoots it, he compares it to a 9mm and then says "that's performance"! I'm still laughing.:)

from focusfront wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Notice they didn't show you the target. Considering the trouble it is supposed to be to regulate double barreled rifles, I wouldn't expect this to be shooting where it looks with either barrel much beyond room ranges. For room range you can get a Taurus Judge and throw the same per shot payload from a smaller package.

It's cool, but I'm starting to fall out of love with it.

from benjaminwc wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Ya......Uhm.......I.....got nothin. Having a hard time fighting back my gag reflexes. Huah. Nevermind.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I'll bet that thing is just loads of fun when it gets a stovepipe jam.

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

That adds all new meaning to the term, "Double Tap"!

from PbHead wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

An obvious plot from the ammo manufacturers.

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Appears to me to be an answer to a non existent question.

from Dave_Maccar wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Re: focusfront - I noticed that right away as well, that they didn't show the target. For all we know, that gun could have been loaded with low-powered blanks, and from the lack of visible kick and muzzle flip, that's probably the case. However, the weight of that thing (their site says it's a little over 4 pounds unloaded) could compensate for the recoil. By the way, it's also available in .38 Super Auto.

from jjas wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

As has been stated it will make a good movie prop gun. Other than that, I don't get it.

from s-kfry wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I'm waiting for IMI to come out with the double Desert Eagle in .50AE. I mean, if you're going double you might as go big as well.

Sean

from s-kfry wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

o, by the way, double Desert Eagle in the gold platting.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Ouch...

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I would love just to get my hands on a

L.A.R. Grizzly 45 Win Mag

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I like full auto 1911s better. But this is still awesome.

from buriti wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Some people will just spend money on any...thing.

Please, read my blog. Just google "A Wild Beast at Heart".

from Red_Pepper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Now if someone would take a Rhino revolver and put an upper barrel firing from the top of the cylinder (with the appropriate firing mechanism mods), you could have a double-barreled, double-tapping revolver! :)

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

IMO-this concept is just dumb!

from Jim in Avon wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

They've invented the cure for which there was no disease...

from Oregon Jim wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I don't care if it is silly, dumb, or just plain wierd. I would LOVE to have one of these.

from JOHN5PETERSO wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

2 questions:
-do the bullets ever make contact down range. This could be problematic.
-2 triggers, 1 slide. Does This mean this gun would sometimes be ejecting unspent rounds?
I've always been a precision and not a quantity kind of guy. I don't like carrying a ton of ammo.

from Moongazer wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Unless you are looking for more penetration I don't see the advantage. Assuming one bullet is traveling slightly faster or fired ahead of the other you would get one of them flying through the temporary cavity in a ballistics gelatin test. I guess you could have one of the barrels pointing slightly lower... I think if you want this type of stopping power, purchase a 10mm.

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Okay, I'm setting the countdown clock as to when this gun appears in a cheesy action adventure flick.

1,2,3,4,5.....

from ssgmonkey wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

A friend of mine showed me this the other day. Yeah its way cool and I agree with Mr. Bourjaily because I do want to shoot one just to say I did but I don’t think that it’s going to be very accurate at all. I'll bet the explosive force of the gasses as the rounds exit the barrels causes all kinds of patterning nightmares. However I bet it’s a helluva lot more fun than an E-ticket ride at Disneyland and I’d definitely stand in that line.

from TimeRanger wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Hmmm a single-shot double-tap .. I LIKE it!

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I believe the triggers accuate together making the gun ambidexterous. One on each side because of the width of the gun. I want one also!

from ri43210 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Seems as though no matter if you have 80 rounds in each magazine...two systems operating basically side by side...well, if the first bullet jams on either side, all the bullets in your pile won't do you much good. And, as you clear one side...what is happening on the other side...no, this seems more like a novelty or point for a discussion than anything logical...sorry. I will stick to a normal, reliable 1911...if it ain't broke, don't break it!

from Brendan McKinley wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

This has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen in a long while; it appears to have two completely separate sets of triggers, hammers, and firing pins. So if the timing is even slightly off the other shell could possibly be set off as the round is striped from the chamber by its conjoined slide. At best it's a waste of good ammunition.

from Steve Lindsey wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Daddy like.... Daddy want......

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Now watch some take hose clamps to two 1911A1's !

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

How to make your Glock fully automatic

www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/03/04/how-to-make-your-glock-fully-auto...

Edward Wilks - Full Auto Glock G20 10mm Pistol with FSSG Machine-gun Switch

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lYI3diEZhmo

HATE TO PAY FOR THE AMMO ON THIS!

from iron giant wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

that's way cool. Its not practical at all, and is probably kind of stupid, but still really cool.

from Dialysis33 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Reminds me of something James Bond would carry. Just can't see it in our modern world. Feed jams galore with this pistol. Makes a nice coffe table conversation piece though.

from billerooo wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

It ranks about with the double 10/22 gatlin gun in my book. It would be fun to shoot and let others shoot but not all that useful. Sure I will take one.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Its definitely not for the ladies, who have difficulty retracting one slide.

from Jabo Bowen wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

as i love to smell burnt powder, would love to have one, but how much and how much does auto reloader cost ? haven't hit powerball yet so have to consider the cost.

from hutter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

FAKE!!

from plinkster wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I think it's cool but I prefer the actual 1911

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Twice the fun but twice the headache.

from Bill Rosenbach wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What a waste of cost, if you cannot hit it with a true 45, get a shot gun. Way too large, did you see the kick? And I agree with a previous post, why did they not show the target? Did he miss it, or was it that bad? Would be too expensive, and what kind of holster would it take to hold that thing, let alone try to conceal carry?

from 784512 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

if the price is right

from Jake Luangrath wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I want TWO!!

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I'll bet that thing is just loads of fun when it gets a stovepipe jam.

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Who let "HITMAN" out of the nursing home?

from Oryx wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

In a world that has "Twilight" and Snooki, is it really any wonder?

from focusfront wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

It's cool, but I'm starting to fall out of love with it.

from Jim in Avon wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

They've invented the cure for which there was no disease...

from fezzant wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

First of all, cool.

Fourth, they've just at least doubled the likelihood of a jam.

Sixth, it's cool.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from benjaminwc wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should!

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

That adds all new meaning to the term, "Double Tap"!

from PbHead wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

An obvious plot from the ammo manufacturers.

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Appears to me to be an answer to a non existent question.

from jjas wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

IMO-this concept is just dumb!

from JOHN5PETERSO wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

2 questions:
-do the bullets ever make contact down range. This could be problematic.

from stickbow wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I agree with Jake. One on each hip.

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I already have a 1911 for each hand so I don't need this one (or is it two?).

from ILBassin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

what is the price on one of these cause i want one

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I think dual welding two 1911's is a better option! Cool looking weapon though

from CL3 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Dave_Maccar wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Sean

from s-kfry wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

o, by the way, double Desert Eagle in the gold platting.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Ouch...

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I would love just to get my hands on a

L.A.R. Grizzly 45 Win Mag

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I like full auto 1911s better. But this is still awesome.

from buriti wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Some people will just spend money on any...thing.

Please, read my blog. Just google "A Wild Beast at Heart".

from Red_Pepper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Oregon Jim wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Moongazer wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

1,2,3,4,5.....

from ssgmonkey wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from TimeRanger wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Hmmm a single-shot double-tap .. I LIKE it!

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from ri43210 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Brendan McKinley wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Steve Lindsey wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Daddy like.... Daddy want......

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Now watch some take hose clamps to two 1911A1's !

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

How to make your Glock fully automatic

www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/03/04/how-to-make-your-glock-fully-auto...

Edward Wilks - Full Auto Glock G20 10mm Pistol with FSSG Machine-gun Switch

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lYI3diEZhmo

HATE TO PAY FOR THE AMMO ON THIS!

from iron giant wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Dialysis33 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from billerooo wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Its definitely not for the ladies, who have difficulty retracting one slide.

from Jabo Bowen wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

FAKE!!

from plinkster wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I think it's cool but I prefer the actual 1911

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Twice the fun but twice the headache.

from Bill Rosenbach wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago