April Fool: Borat National Anthem Spoof Played By Mistake at Shooting Competition Ceremony

The Gun Nuts

April 02, 2012

By Phil Bourjaily

I could try to come up with an April Fool’s joke for this first post of the month, but I can’t improve on real life. Kazahkstan’s trap shooter Maria Dmienko won gold in the Arab Games held in Kuwait last week. At the medal ceremony, instead of hearing “My Kazakhstan” which begins:

Sky of golden sun,
Steppe of golden seed,
Legend of courage -
Take a look at my country!
From the antiquity
Our heroic glory emerged,
They did not give up their pride
My Kazakh people are strong!

Chorus:
My country, my country,
As your flower I will be planted,
As your song I will stream, my country!
My native land – Kazakhstan!

She heard:
Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
All other countries are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
Other countries have inferior potassium.
Kazakhstan home of Tinshein swimming pool.
It’s length thirty meter and width six meter.
Filtration system a marvel to behold.
It remove 80 percent of human solid waste.

That is, of course, the spoof version written by Sacha Baron Cohen for the movie "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

It’s funny to us (although we wouldn’t think it was funny if it happened to us), but Kazakhstanis already hate the song and the movie, which portrays their country as anti-Semitic and backwards. There was considerable protest and Kuwait has since apologized. Apparently, the event company hired for the ceremony downloaded and played the wrong song my mistake. My guess is, they are will not be working in the Arabian Peninsula again anytime soon.

On a lighter note, Kazakhstanis have already displayed the ability to play the wrong national anthem all by themselves, as you can see in this news story and video from a regional skiing competition in the region of Kostany:

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I guess next time they will hire a better DJ. Which makes me question if the DJ they had lived through the ordeal.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Couldn't happen to group of nicer folks!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

That type of mistake is fightin` words in some cultures!
Oh well, life goes on...

from dickgun wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I hunted in Kazak in '97. This was rather cutting edge for US hunters to enter after the collapse of the Soviet Union. I was hunting Tianshan Ibex and Maral Stag. From Moscow, I flew into Almata. All transport from there was by vehicle and lengthy. We drove by a large airfield with many revetments hidden under grass covered roofing.
One field had about 40 Migs and 30 AN-2 bi-wing aircraft. Our interpreters said they would not fly again - no pilots, no fuel, no parts. We hunted Ibex on the border with China, clearly visible in the distance, and after passing several check points enroute.
The Kazaks we hunted and lived with were country folks and I was amazed at how far their living standard was behind the comparable country in the US. At that time it seemed like they were living in pre-WWII standards to me. But, they were just plain folks, friendly, hard working, eager to please and learn about the rest of the world. Hunting was good and it seemed that, following a day of success, a bottle of vodka would mysteriously appear to salute the success.
My comments do not address the political environment which at that time was just beginning to sort itself out and establish the new independent Govt free from the Russians. This is an enormously large, rich country in natural resources. Physically, I think it is the largest of the former Soviet Union countries.

from z41 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I don't really see a connection between this and shotguns? Unless this post is a April Fools joke itself. Personally, if this is true, I feel very bad for the young lady who just won a tremendous shooting event. My opinion.

from Redford wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Other countries do have inferior potassium, K.

from cbanks wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Thanks to my friend DickGun for putting this faraway place into perspective. It seems that Borat has more or less permanently put them into the joke category. Regrettable.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 1 week ago

We could have read all kinds of trapshooting trivia for years, and never come across a nugget like this.

from deadeyedick wrote 2 years 1 week ago

KAWHATSASTAN!!!????? WHO CARES

from focusfront wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Good thing this didn't happen to an Iranian or a Syrian shooter. If it had there would be flaming riots in the streets in front of every foreign embassy in the Middle East.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 1 week ago

dickgun;

Like your story. Quite an adventure.

from dickgun wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Couldn't happen to group of nicer folks!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

That type of mistake is fightin` words in some cultures!
Oh well, life goes on...

from z41 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Redford wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Other countries do have inferior potassium, K.

from cbanks wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from deadeyedick wrote 2 years 1 week ago

KAWHATSASTAN!!!????? WHO CARES

from focusfront wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 1 week ago

dickgun;

Like your story. Quite an adventure.