Man Orders TV Online, UPS Delivers Sig Sauer Rifle Instead

The Gun Nuts

August 23, 2012

Man Orders TV Online, UPS Delivers Sig Sauer Rifle Instead

By Phil Bourjaily

Seth Horvitz of Washington, D.C. recently ordered a flatscreen TV through a third party seller on Amazon.com. Instead, UPS dropped a SIG 716 rifle on his doorstep. (I know, you’re thinking “jackpot!” Me too.)

Evidently there was a mislabeling or some other screw up. UPS does not leave guns on doorsteps. Whenever I have had a gun shipped directly to my house, which is legal if it doesn’t change ownership, I have had to sign for it.

But, I digress. D.C. has its strict laws. Horvitz was afraid he would get in trouble just transporting the gun to UPS to return. So, he called the police, who quickly swooped in to confiscate the rifle and, from the tone of this newscast, probably called the bomb squad to detonate it just in case.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I wonder what I would get if I ordered 10 tvs ? The DC cops will most likely arrest the man and say it was deliberate and once the media get involved the poor guy will get 99 years.

from s-kfry wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Who ended up with the TV? Somewhere out there is a guy (or girl) who was anticipating a trip to the range and will now have to settle for American Idol.

from hhack wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Good thing it didn't come to my house, my gun safe would have swallowed it whole and not let go.

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"This mishap could have led to another tragedy." Really? It's sad when some people assume a man who gets a rifle by mistake will go shoot up a school rather than return it (or keep it for themselves and not shoot anyone)? Makes me sick.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dreams do come true.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

A similar incident happened to me last week, except the only difference was that I woke up and had to go to work afterwards.

from Ga hunter wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Don't you love it when the news calls a semi-automatic rifle an "Assault Rifle"? Sorry news lady you've got the wrong term!

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Anybody know what the model was of that TV he ordered???,,,

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I would have swapped a TV gladly for one, YUCK! YUCK!

from murdock32 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Well, being in WA state with a FFL 03 I would have kept it, being worth more than the tv.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

murdock32 they would of tracked you down, but you could of had enough time to go out and run a few cases through it.

Reminds me of back of a story I read in 85, some fella went to one of those Military auctions and bought what looked like a linear amplifier he could use for his CB Radio. Figured if it didn't work, he would give it to his Ham Radio Buddy. Sometime later, he had the Feds come knocking on his door. What looked like a Linear Amplifier for a transceiver was one of two in the world worth $$$$ for the Star Wars program. Both units wuz shipped, unit #1 made it to its rightful destination but unit #2 found its way in the supply channels to be auctioned off.

Another case, a fella bought a processing machine from the Military, it was a processor for making weapons grade uranium and the US Government bought it back before he knew what he had and gave his money back including a big chunk of pocket change to last him the rest of his life simply because it wasn't illegal to own and he obtained it legally!

Bottom line, Today's Darwin Award goes to the US Government!

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I wonder if the dealer ever got the rifle or if the police kept it and left him out-of-pocket.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

And fate says we are suppose to have firearms!

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I don't care for the insinuation in the narrative that American society is so infested with deranged murderers that all it takes is the presence of a firearm delivered to the wrong doorstep for a tragedy to occur.

from hutter wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I believe the TV is more dangerous.

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

what a bunch a bull I just love how everytime there is a report on a gun they can so amazingley give a datailed report anything else and the report is vague and amatureish.do your job dumb news people

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

ditto 99explorer...ditto

from SubMOAnut wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

to Ga Hunter,
Amen! An "assault rifle" must be fully automatic or have selective fire capabilities. There is no difference between a semi-auto hunting rifle and the Sig delivered to the lucky DC resident. What the guy needs delivered now are some good boots for wading through anti-gun b.s.

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

He should have called me so I could properly dispose of that evil rifle into my gun safe and force it to do hard labor at the range until it was rehabilitated into a up standing member of society in fact if anyone has an evil rifle I will be glad to incarcerate it indefinitely

from shane wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

That's some serious hardware.

Sadly, you could dress up an AR-10 variant like this one to look less scary than an AR-15, and these folks would be more likely to call the bomb squad on the 15 than the 10.

I've always wanted to do a cosmetics experiment with "assault rifles" and other less scary "grandpa looking" semi-auto rifles. Maybe some modifications on either to raise or lower the irrational fear factor. Ask the antis to point to the less scary picture out of two like the children that they are. Then explain to them how they just killed a baby by failing to nail down the inanimate object that poses the greater threat.

from s-kfry wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from hhack wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Nixstyx wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Bottom line, Today's Darwin Award goes to the US Government!

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from hutter wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I believe the TV is more dangerous.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dreams do come true.

from Ga hunter wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Anybody know what the model was of that TV he ordered???,,,

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I would have swapped a TV gladly for one, YUCK! YUCK!

from murdock32 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

And fate says we are suppose to have firearms!

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

ditto 99explorer...ditto

from SubMOAnut wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

to Ga Hunter,

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from shane wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

That's some serious hardware.