Kim Rhode: The Best Skeet Shooter in the World

The Gun Nuts

August 09, 2012

Kim Rhode: The Best Skeet Shooter in the World

By David E. Petzal

Let us now say a few words about Kim Rhode, the woman who is, very arguably, the best in the world, male or female, at her chosen sport, which is skeet shooting. She is the first American competitor in any sport to win medals in five consecutive Olympics, and won her gold this past week by setting a new Olympic record. She is modest, funny, and altogether a class act. Ms. Rhode got to where she is by stupendous hard work, like any other Olympic athlete, shooting an estimated 2 million shells over the past 20 years.

Having won her gold, however, she received roughly the same amount of television time as the American male gymnast who won a bronze medal in the individual events.

Presented with Ms. Rhode, whose achievement was nothing less than historic, the people at NBC-TV undoubtedly said, “Five medals in five Olympics? No one’s ever done it? Let’s give her a minute and a half; it’s only shooting. What’s Michael Phelps doing?”

On the other hand, it’s probably a positive sign that a news bunny did not shove a microphone in her face and ask her what she thought about Aurora.

And, like all other American medal winners, Kim Rhode will be paying taxes on the cash prize that went along with her gold.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Tremendous competitor. That's TV for you. There just isn't any glamor to the shooting sports like there would be for synchronized diving and BMX.

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Did she drop her shotgun and do pushups and strike multiple poses, a la Usain Bolt, when she took the gold?

Great job Kim!

from Moose1980 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Awesome competitor, and a great representative of the USA.

from PbHead wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Another great representative for the shooting sports. Put her on the cover of F&S.

Two million shells! My shoulder aches at the thought.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Seriously. Instead of puff pieces on swimmers, gymnasts, and runners show us the other sports!

How many people do you know that say the same thing? Hey NBC, there's how many hundreds of US athletes in many sports! Stop singling 3-4 of them out!

Anyway, this is awesome!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

And I see that see did not have to wear the nearly obscene beach volleyball outfits, which were a disgrace for the USA in an international forum. What is cool in Southern California is not necessarily appropriate elsewhere.

Congratulations, Kim!

from jjas wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Congratulations to Kim Rhode.

You represented yourself, your sport and your country with dignity and we are very proud of you.

Hope to see you compete again in 2016.

from IL_Hunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I met Kim at a charity sporting clays event benefiting the Boy Scouts. She is truly a class act and represents what the shooting sports are all about.

Go for another one in four years Kim!

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

WA,

I must admit I've fallen to the Dark Side. I LOVE the female beach volley ball outfits and watched with rap attention as those ladies went for the tough ones.

BTW, Congrats to Kim. It's a pity NBC didn't give the lady due credit. Seemed like the shooting sports were dominated by China and Italy this time. Kim best some REAL competition!!!

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Well, skeet isnt a Barak Hussien Obama approved sport so the press is abviously not going to give her adequate time or coverage.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I had the good fortune of spending a couple days with Kim at the National Hunter Educational Convention in Louisville Kentucky several years ago after she was a top notch shooter. She was a fantastic role model for young people in the shooting sports and portrayed the shooting sports in a very positive manner. The way she interacted with the young people at the convention was outstanding. I guess the shooting sports just aren't flashy enough for NBC to give them much coverage. After all she ONLY WON FIVE GOLD MEDALS . Way to go Kim you deserve all the success that you get. I knew when I met her and how she conducted yourself with the young people she would go a long way. It is really refreshing to see someone like her excell in the sporting field.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

enjoyed watching her and cheering for her! crappy tv coverage by NBC is hardly exclusive to Kim Rhodes, however. they really dropped the ball on this Olympics.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Yes, a very class act. It's really too bad she didn't get more coverage. But, that's about what I expect from the bottom feeder major networks.

I saw her last year on a pheasant hunt that was on an outdoor show. The pheasants wished that she had stayed home.

MG

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I am rather surprised this sport received any press time at all!.Now, it's up to us, gun nuts, to send our emails,texts,tweets, and such communications to the Liberal news stations for MORE GUN SPORTS COVERAGE!
ps-GREAT JOB KIM!!

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

god forbid NBC put skeet shooting on the television. that would show that guns serve a purpose other then killing people, right?? and we cant have that now can we...

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I don't quite grasp the concept of Olympic medal winners being allowed to accept cash prizes without compromising their amateur non-professional status.
Jim Thorpe had his medals taken away from him when it was discovered that he had played semi-professional baseball one summer.

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I don't have any problem with the beach volleyball outfits, except for the horrifying possibility of a wardrobe malfunction:-)

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

My family watched this via download since NBC did a really poor job of celebrating any medals not earned either in gymnastics or in the pool. All I can say is that this woman blew away the best of the world and did so with grace, class, and dignity. My daughters were fascinated by the spectacle that is the olympics but it brought me a quiet excitement when my daughters asked, "Daddy, don't you have a gun like that?"

I'd love for them to emulate Ms. Rhode rather than the divas in gymnastics.

from bonedoc33 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I'll probably get several dislikes for this, but I don't have a problem with the Olympians being taxed on their earnings. As long as our military men and women are paying taxes on THEIR earnings, the Olympians can follow suit. If anyone deserves tax-free earnins, it us our sailors and soldiers.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Yeah, my head is still water logged from watching all those swimming events. I suppose there are many things wrong with the olympics but there is a greater number of things that are right. So lets not dwell on the bad but rather bask in the glory of our Olympic champions
GO USA!!!!!!!!!!

from Safado wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I'm with you on the Dark Side Mark-1; I like the swimming suits but then I live in California and am a regular attendee of Beach Volley Ball tournaments. Now you would think with all of the advancements in swim suit technology they could outfit the male divers in something other than those banana hammocks!

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I'm with PbHead - put Kim on the cover of F&S!!!!!

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

The best 'International Skeet' (which is a good deal more difficult than American Skeet shooter in the world.
It's a wonder that she is not taxed on the value of the shells Winchester provides for her as income too, given our Federal Govt's. view on income.
Congrats on your 5th in 5, Kim. Well done.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

ps-GREAT JOB KIM!!

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from bonedoc33 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

WA,

from ejunk wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Michigan Gunner wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

MG

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Scott Alexander wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I'd love for them to emulate Ms. Rhode rather than the divas in gymnastics.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

GO USA!!!!!!!!!!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Great job Kim!

from Moose1980 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Awesome competitor, and a great representative of the USA.

from PbHead wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Two million shells! My shoulder aches at the thought.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Anyway, this is awesome!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Congratulations, Kim!

from jjas wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Congratulations to Kim Rhode.

Hope to see you compete again in 2016.

from IL_Hunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Go for another one in four years Kim!

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Safado wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I'm with PbHead - put Kim on the cover of F&S!!!!!

from RES1956 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Congrats on your 5th in 5, Kim. Well done.

from ejpaul1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago