New Ammo: Colored and Glowing Shotgun Pellets from Spectra Shot

The Gun Nuts

August 29, 2012

New Ammo: Colored and Glowing Shotgun Pellets from Spectra Shot

By Phil Bourjaily

Tired of claimers taking your birds? Spectra Shot was invented specifically to settle duck hunting arguments. The shells contain colored pellets so you can determine, via autopsy, who shot that banded bird.* If waterfowl hunting is a team sport for you, as it is for a lot of people, you might be interested in colored pellets.

Spectra Shot was patented by Joe Authement, a duck hunter in Louisiana. As a kid of 10 or 11, he went along on duck hunts and never got credit for birds he was sure he shot. As an adult, a run-in with a claimer on a wood duck hunt who took birds Authement knew he had shot got him thinking again about a solution: If everyone in the blind shot different colored pellets, you would know for sure who shot what bird. Spectra Shot was the result.

The pellets are coated with colored Xylan, a non-stick coating that often applied to kitchenware through a powder-coating process. Currently SpectraShot comes in green, blue, red and yellow. Although ruled safe for human and animal consumption by the FDA for kitchen applications, the USFWS had to test the loads. They have been approved as non-toxic and are available through Cabela’s and several stores in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi and Arkansas.

The shells are loaded by Polywad in Georgia and the quality of the ammo is good. It will be interesting to see if they take off. I would think a big market for them would be as promotional shells. You could get them in school colors, red, white and blue, and so on, just like you can now order custom colored M&Ms. In addition to their 1400 fps steel waterfowl loads, Spectra Shot also offers colored target loads coated to glow under black light. You can see them in action in the video above.

*As a reformed claimer, I will admit to having performed autopsies on dead birds I brought home based on pellet size. Colored pellets would certainly make the job easier. On the rare occasion when I have shot the same bird as someone else, and knew I hit it, I yelled, “Nice shot!” and gave them the bird. Then I'd say: “All my pellets have my initials on them. You’ll know who shot it when you clean it.”

from JCSoutdoorsman wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Cool video

from Carney wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Sure beats micro-stamping pellets!

from scottrods wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

We are allowed to use spotlights for pest control and shoot at night. This might be very interesting.

Sounds a very expensive manufacturing process and therefore ammo cost.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

There are no ill effects to the Barrel shooting this ammo?

from JCB wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

After seeing that video, is there any doubt that it is a string of shot that reaches the target?

from etexan wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I love to hunt and bagging some game is certainly part of the reward but I would hope that if two hunters shot at the same bird, each would insist that the other guy take the bird.

from firedog11 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Please don't tell holder or schumer they will use it as another excuse to regulate firearms,

from pudgexl29 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

The waterfowl shells are about $23 a box, which isn't too terrible, I dont think.

from The_UTP wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I wonder if they'll come out with other colors. I'd like some black and gold (school colors for Mizzou, my alma mater) in clear hulls, just to have around for looks!

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

That's why golf ball manufacturers assign and stamp a number on each set of balls in a box. But problems persist when two golfers in the same foursome use the same make and number, as in Titleist #1. This happened to me.
It is a step in the right direction, however.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Your initials stamped on every pellet! That's a good one, Phil. Hope you don't mind if I use it (I'll credit you as my source in the interest of honesty and integrity).

Most bird hunters are gentlemen/women and graciously offer to let the other shooter claim the bird. Sometimes, though, it's a different story. I remember one time I'd brought my brother-in-law to our Marsh for a duck hunt. He made a solid shot on a blue-wing and I said "nice shot, Doug" as the bird was falling. About the time I said "shot" a teenage son of another club member shot the bird while it was clearly already falling and exclaimed "I got it!", looking around with a big grin. Doug looked at me but didn't say a word. I followed his lead and let the boy claim the bird. The boy's daddy has a duck lease near the duck mecca of Stuttgart, AR, so I'm pretty sure that boy had killed enough ducks before then that he woulda, shoulda known better. But Doug is a Southern gentlemen of the old school and a gracious hunting partner. I took a lesson from him that day.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Didn't finish my thought: if you're going to use colored shot as the arbitrator, doesn't that mean you're going to challenge the shooter on whose bird it is? Seems like that might take the etiquette out of the game.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

You have got to be kidding!! right! you would not last ten minutes in a duck boat, blind, or jump shooting in a swamp with any of the guys I hunt with. There may be some good natured joshing as to who hit what, but it is never serious we hunt together because we are kindred spirits and enjoy each others company besides we pay enough for ammo and I see no need to use colored shot. WHAT'S NEXT ?

from Hil wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I'm still working on my claiming, Phil!

from Hil wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I'm still working on my claiming, Phil!

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I agree with etexan. If I'm hunting with someone and it gets to the point of taking a bird apart to see who shot it, I'll find another hunting partner. What happened to when single comes in only one shoots, or when a flock comes in, you go left, I'll go right.

from stack75 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

It's kinda cool; not that we'd actually argue over who shot what but ... betting on how many pellets of one or more colors are present could make cleaning ducks interesting

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Sure beats micro-stamping pellets!

from etexan wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from JCSoutdoorsman wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Cool video

from scottrods wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Sounds a very expensive manufacturing process and therefore ammo cost.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

There are no ill effects to the Barrel shooting this ammo?

from JCB wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from firedog11 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from pudgexl29 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from The_UTP wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

It is a step in the right direction, however.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Hil wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I'm still working on my claiming, Phil!

from Hil wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I'm still working on my claiming, Phil!

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago