Notes on Rifle Slings

The Gun Nuts

September 04, 2012

Notes on Rifle Slings

By David E. Petzal

Now that hunting season is approaching, it’s time to think about slings. This is not half so entertaining as thinking about Ms. Elisha Cuthbert, but since I doubt Ms. Cuthbert is willing to carry your rifle around for you, it’s more practical.

There are plenty of slings around, and most of them are cheesy, worthless, and silly. They don’t last; they get in your way; they slide off your shoulder; and they contain absurd gimmicks which are so many pains in the ass.

The best sling I know of is the Murray A-1 Quick Set Rifle Sling, made by Murray Custom Leather in Texas. It’s dead simple, does everything a sling (or more properly, a carrying strap) should do, and lasts forever. I have a couple of them that have been in use for close to 30 years, and they show no signs of weakening. I learned about Murray slings from Kenny Jarrett, who includes them with his rifles as standard equipment. Kenny also gave me this tip:

At the beginning of the season, you get a bottle of Crisco vegetable oil, fill its cap, dip a fingertip in the oil and spread it on the sling. If the sling gets wet when you hunt, let it dry out thoroughly and repeat the oil treatment before you put it away.

You can get the details on these slings from murraycustomleather.com. You have a choice of russet or black, and you can get mil-spec swivels for $10 extra, which I strongly recommend. If you like cobra-style slings, Murray sells them, too, because people like them. I do not. Get the plain strap.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve known Dick Murray for a lot of years, and he is one of the nicer guys in this business.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I own a Murray sling and would second your strong endorsement. The other sling that I use and like is the Claw. It's not much to look at -- basically rubber and nylon -- but as a functional tool that will not allow your rifle to slip from your shoulder, I've never used anything better.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Very nice looking piece of equipment that appears to be made right. I will be adding this sling to my x-mas list. Until then I’ll have to rely on my Claw sling.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I been wanting to know where to find these slings, and there it is.
Thanks!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Might look at the Montana Sling while you are at it. I use one. www.montanagunslings.com/

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

For the average shooter the Murray A-1 Quick Set Rifle Sling would be a excellent choice.

But if you truly need to get the most out of your shot, I'll take my Creedmoor Competition Military Rifle Sling any day over any other sling. It gives, "Rich Out & Touch" achievable advantage to those who know how to use it!

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

David, what do you think of the Ching as a compromise between a carrying strap and a "marksman's" sling?

from flashal wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Perhaps some unfortunate news to pass on Mr. Petzal. The lovely Ms. Cuthbert was engaged to Toronto Maple Leaf's defenseman Dion Phaneuf this weekend. A good Canadian girl marrying a hockey player. Just as it should be.

from MReeder wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

My thinking on slings has either evolved or devolved over the years, depending on your point of view. I never found a "hasty" sling to be very useful. If anything, I think I shot better without it, so I used various Whelens for years. It finally hit me a few years ago that I never used the Whelens for anything but carrying straps anyway. Either things happened too fast and too close to mess with it, or, if there was time to get into a sling there was time to find a rest. Meanwhile, I'm a little slope-shouldered and the thing was always slipping off. I finally went to a cobra, which is a helluva lot more comfortable and functional; at least for me. I have claws on my muzzleloaders and designated turkey shotgun, which are all synthetic stocks, but I still like leather on my woodstocked rifles. Last sling I bought was a cape buffalo skin, cobra-type from African Game Industries in Dallas for a Lee Enfield sporter I was refurbishing. I was taking it in a Lee Speed direction and it just seemed like the most appropriate way to cap it off. Quite nice looking and comfortable. They carry a whole line of exotic leather slings if anyone is interested.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

For most of my hunting career I used military surplus slings from WWII. Highly functional, thin, and good quality leather. Fat or padded slings are a pain in the butt. They slip off your shoulder unless you're Bubba Smith.

Use mineral oil to treat the leather instead of vegatable oil. Mice and other rodents hate the stuff and it won't stain clothes either. Warm it up a bit in the microwave so it will penetrate better. An old packer gave me that advice for treating my saddles and stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't take very good notes and picked up cod liver oil instead. Har, har. It didn't work very well at keeping the rodents away. Worse, I wound up riding in griz country sitting on a seat that smelled like a rotten fish! And that dang saddle continued to stink for a couple of years till I finally took it to the auction and let it become someone else's problem. No great loss. It had a plastic tree and split cowhide padded seat which were both saddle sore makers.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

To WaMTN HUNTER: I own a Montana Sling, think very highly of it, and should have included it. Thanks for reminding all of us.

To Amflyer: I've never used a Ching Sling, and don't know anyone who has. My experience has been that almost always, you don't have time to fool with a sling of any kind.

To Flashal: I heard about the engagement last night, and my shrieks of grief were so awful that the police came. I think we may have to find someone new. Mila Kunis?

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

It all boils down to your ability, equipment, cartridge, geographical location, meteorological conditions + time/season of the year and what critter your after including what may be after you, but most of all, what flavor of ice cream you prefer ....

from focusfront wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

It looks like this is a good carry sling, but not a shooting sling. Am I wrong? And does Kenny Jarrett (or do you) advocate 'slinging up' when shooting game in the field?

focusfront

Bring up a valid point,

Do you prefer a carry sling or a shooting sling?

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Have attempted to comment on various topics to no avail. Have been blocked for swearing, a bit puzzling, as a naughty word for me is something like gee whiz.

from buckstopper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

How about a nice horse hair sling? I hate those spongy, no slip pieces of foam someone tries to pass off as a sling. I don't want my rifle or shot gun to bounce like a trampoline and soak up all sorts of nasty odors. Mr. Turner makes a nice leather sling.

Happy Myles

Reminds me back in 78 when the FCC was going after CB Operators not giving there call sign. One of the most respectable people I ever met got a knock on the door late one night for being one minute late for giving there call sign. Did I mention about the fella on the other side of town running 2KW knocking out not only the 11 meter CB Band but the 10 Meter HAM Band as well.

from HogBlog wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I learned to shoot with a sling, and then promptly gave that up for the comfort of a neoprene Claw. If you have time to set up to shoot from a sling, you have time to set up sticks which are more stable and versatile... or you have time to find a real, earth-bound rest. I'd rather have a comfortable carry for the miles of western ridges and canyons.

A good leather sling that's wide enough to distribute weight and will not slip? I'd look at that.

from Carney wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Call me pedestrian.

I have a sling similar to the Claw but made by Allen. The neoprene pad has regularly caused my hunting partners to stumble into envy. Springy and spongy, makes my Marlin 1895 feel somewhat featherweight... And every time I shoulder and aim, my arm slips through it and around as I grab the forestock giving a solid shooting platform. Don't know why that's so hard.

On the issue of oiling leather, contrary to the Jarrett tip above, I was told years ago that if the leather is wet you can oil it and set it near the heater -- supposedly the heat would cause the moisture to evaporate creating a vaccuum and drawing the oil deeper into the leather. Makes sense to me; anybody have a comment on that?

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Carry strap? No, its a lightweight mobile firearm transportation unit incorporating an accuracy enhancement mode(sling wrapped around the bicep for stability)and a handy storage application i.e. hang the damn thing up on a limb, coat hook or rusty nail unloaded of coarse. and Murray custom leather makes one of the best! Mr.Murray feel free to use description of your outstanding product in your catalog

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Those slings look great, and I am sure serve their purpose well. However, my go-to rifle is synthetic and stainless. To my eye, a leather sling just looks as out of place as Ms. Cuthbert in a petticoat. Is there an equally functional equivalent that doesn't look so out of place on a synthetic gun?

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Dear Mr. Clay;
You forgot the vernickuler going into the wobble hole.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

To Happy Myles: Use asterisks. I do it all the time.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Dale you lost me on that?

How about vermicular, in wavy lines like the movements, shape, or tracks of worms (bullets)

I know David isn't a Competition Shooter so I better jump in here to explain the difference between a carry sling and a shooting sling.

Carry Sling:
If my shots were at short range or use with a shotgun and needed to comfortly carry all day, this would be my choice.

Shooting Sling:
In a area your shots would be at long range, you can easily double or triple your range using a shooting sling.

So what’s the difference?
Actually there is a trade off, either you want comfort or the ability to hit accurately at long range this is the choice you must take. And having both worlds takes time finding the right sling that fits your criteria/need, ability and conditions you’ll be in.

Some say if you can use a shooting sling, you got time to find a rest. The real problem is, using a rest brings in other variables such as body alignment vs direction of the target. Pushing the rifle right "WILL" cause you to shoot left. Pushing the muzzle down "WILL" cause you to shoot right over the back of that critter. Using a sling, I can instantly correct my body position and plan my shot while the other fella is running alarming the critter. Dropping to sitting or kneeling right where your at is the less alarming movement and giving the shooter overwhelming odds of hitting the target.

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

"Obscene comments"? I am signing off for good. Kindest Regards To All

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Happy Myles! Say it ain't so! email the administrators and I'm sure they can fix what is up. You would be sorely missed!

WAM

from Carney wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Happy Miles is an example of the frustration that most of us have felt using this blog. Sign in difficulties and inefficient censoring. The challenges are not only frustrating but a waste of time.

ALL OVER THE WORLD hundreds of thousands of websites work wonderfully without these glitches, day in and day out. For the life of me I have no idea why F&S has so much trouble.

from Safado wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I use a Murray Sling and second Dave's endorsement. More importantly we cannot allow Happy Myles to sign off for good. The loss to this blog would be immeasurable. Don't go Happy!!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

The Media establishment so profligate that it thinks nothing of throwing its best people onto bonfires of its own making will likely, over time, burn down to nothing.

They fired the one guy who can fix it.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Carney,

No one would miss me or my caustic remarks. That is why I remain as an irritant! LOL

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Ya' somebody needs to stay and keep things straight ya'know ;)

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I always have to log in twice patiently waiting each time to enter this site. I often give up and move on to a more user friendly site. It has been like this for years.
The Murray slings have been a great item for my use for a long time. The best I have ever found although Von Ringler of Clark, WY makes an equal to the Murray. Montana Slings are just as durable lacking the finished edges but sell for about half the cost. I ignore the synthetic slings simply because I luv leather.

from blackjac wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

After reading the above posts, I located a Browning braided Horsehair suede lined gun sling with a "thumb" loop. I got this as a gift about 10 years ago and never used it, its good looking but I thought it not functional. I visited the Browning site and found it ad finally realized the attached leather loop is for your thumb--go figure. Never took it out of the pkg. till tonite, it's "suede" line according to the specs, also cost $60. back then. Anyone ever use one of these? My thinking is it would slip off your shoulder--the reason for the thumb loop (?)--I've got old eyes and could not really ID the suede in the lining. Be interested in any comments on this rifle sling.--Thanks!

from blackjac wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from blackjac wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Sorry about the double posts--this site need help!!

from Blacktail wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I hunt the timber a lot and I've been very successful with the Safari sling. It helps keep optics dry because you can carry it horizontally or vertically and it's quick on the draw. Just raise the rifle and shoot. My last 3 elk would have gotten away without the speed of the shot with this sling!

from Jt Turner wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Just a couple of thoughts here......

If folks learned to use a sling it would make carrying shooting sticks unnecessary.

I prefer the Galco Safari Ching sling. You can use it to carry a rifle all day but when properly adjusted it will steady a rifle quite well in any hunting situation.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Blackjack I own the Browning sling and have used it for 5 seasons. Being a little older than Baseball I am not climbing any mountains. But I do not have any complaints with this attractive understated one of a kind sling. It complements my Browning High Wall. It shows a degree of craftsmen ship that can not be duplicated with a leather strap. If you want a plain strap or a REASONABLY priced cartridge case give Triple K a look.

from RandyMI wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

HAHAHA!!! That is sage advice, DEP.... Do you know whether grizzlies are attracted to Crisco or not?

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

As a kid, my grandpa shot a Marlin 336RC. He kept a 4 foot length of 1/4 inch "sash" cord in his pocket. Any time he needed a "sling", out came the sash cord!

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I use plain black nylon web slings, or the correct military sling on my military rifles, and keep them adjusted for a quick 'wrap around the forearm' hold.

Carrying the thing is of secondary importance when hunting as it's usually in my hands at the ready.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Carrying a rifle with a sling is fine for hiking or road marches, that's about all.

from sarg wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Well, I like the SUPER SLING, 1-1/4" wide.Easy and quick on adjustment, as I usually hunt 1/2mile from home, no problem....

from sarg wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I agree with you WA Mhunter, I really could do without one, But I do have the Super sling on most of my rifles....

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I agree with Zermoid mostly. Since all of my hunting recently has been for whitetail and most of it still-hunting or tracking, I am carrying my rifle in my hands without the sling attached. My longest shot in the last eight years has been 65 yards or so. I have kept an Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling rolled up in my fanny pack for a long hike out after dark or ??? but haven't used it yet.

When I lived in the west, I was happy to have a sling both for slinging the rifle while going up or down really steep terrain and also to assist in shooting long.

I do use a military web sling while indoor target shooting in the winter.

from shane wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

My favorite slings are an old Bianchi Cobra on a Model 99 in .300. Absolutely no fancy stuff or patterns or pictures, but nice leather with heavy duty brass hardware, and nicely blued, well machined swivels/studs. The kind of thing that you pay out the arse for today but was just "normal" then.

The other is a 1" military by Hunter on a Remington 600 .308.

I'm actually fairly satisfied with the price of those Murray's, upon looking them up. Was expecting the usual for a real good one.

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Re: Happy... I have had the same problem many times. For some reason this site will erase your reply when there are no words even close to being obscene and give you that message. It is very disconcerting.

And it usually takes me three tries to log in. It never did that before the "upgrade" on this site... the new format sux in my opinion.

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

And see how easy it actually is to really be obscene as in my post above.

from AlaskanExile wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Happy, Please don't go!
Your comments are often an anchor to something real in this sea of manure!
AKX

from Happy Myles wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Ya' somebody needs to stay and keep things straight ya'know ;)

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

WAM

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Carney,

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from blackjac wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from blackjac wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Sorry about the double posts--this site need help!!

from Jt Turner wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Just a couple of thoughts here......

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

I been wanting to know where to find these slings, and there it is.
Thanks!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from flashal wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

focusfront

Bring up a valid point,

Do you prefer a carry sling or a shooting sling?

from buckstopper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Happy Myles

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Dear Mr. Clay;
You forgot the vernickuler going into the wobble hole.

from davidpetzal wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

To Happy Myles: Use asterisks. I do it all the time.

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Dale you lost me on that?

Carry Sling:

Shooting Sling:

So what’s the difference?

from Safado wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

They fired the one guy who can fix it.

from blackjac wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from Blacktail wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

from RandyMI wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I do use a military web sling while indoor target shooting in the winter.

from shane wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

The other is a 1" military by Hunter on a Remington 600 .308.

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

And see how easy it actually is to really be obscene as in my post above.

from AlaskanExile wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Happy, Please don't go!
Your comments are often an anchor to something real in this sea of manure!
AKX